It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notice more illness the past month?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone noticed an unusual amount of people around them being ill with an upper respiratory type illness? I have noticed it (and even suffered with it). It just seems like an unusual time of year to have so many people sick.

I first noticed this when flying. Between the middle of August and the middle of September I flew 4 times. On each of the flights there seemed to be an increased number of people coughing and sneezing over what I normally experience. I travel frequently throughout the year and you can kind of identify when you are more likely to see sick people. March, for instance, is a prime time.

Talking to people I had heard the ilness seemed to be between the sevarity of a cold and influenza. Then I got it and that is what I experienced. Plus I feel more tired and run down compared to how I feel after a cold.

I was ready to just chalk noticing this up to being a quirk but then speaking with a friend today they said that everyone at their office was sick and they also commented on how it seemed like a very early start to cold and flu season. A friend who lives in the south also commented on seeing a surge in illness around them. So I was wondering what others were experiencing or not experiencing.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If I am honest have to say yes that and Ear infections seem to be increasing a lot, not sure if it is just the whacked out weather or what. Pops has an ear infection that has spread to his lymphnods, and my nephew just recently had a bad case of Croup right after he had a real bad ear infection. I know several people in my neighborhood who have come down with respiratory infections as well. Honestly, I think the weather has increased the pollen with its wackiness the plants just don't know which way to go, and people allergies trigger in then, that is just a thought though.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have been sick with it since mid july..so has my 3 year old. I have noticed a lot of kids with throaty-phlemy coughs..I have had no other symptoms, just phlemy cough and occasional runny nose. I have tried every OC med..with no luck. A humidifier works a bit though.

While picking up my daughter from school, I heard a lady say she has had a cough for 2 months that won't go away..maybe it's just pollen???

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I've been noticing a lot of kids in my class getting sick. Makes me kinda glad I'm a recluse. Knock on wood but I haven't been sick in over two years. Either an infection will kill me the minute it hits or I've built up an awesome immunity.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I just got over a cold. But it only lasted three days. But other then my self i have noticed alot more sick ppl then normal. But then again the weather went from summer to cold fall wau earlier then normal.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
NH checking in with a YES on respiratory infections/illness. One of the kids is constantly stuffed up and I've been spitting up a lot of phlegm. Some good whiskey can take care of it though.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm dealing with mold and inlaws that insist on spraying smell good chemicals all over the place. Of course my lungs will have ached this past month.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rseymore21
I just got over a cold. But it only lasted three days. But other then my self i have noticed alot more sick ppl then normal. But then again the weather went from summer to cold fall wau earlier then normal.

I hope it doesn't come back. Both myself and my husband had a 3 day cold, a couple of days of feeling fine, and then boom it comes roaring back.

Stock up on tissues just in case!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Nothing odd going on in my part of TX, seems like there are unusually few ailments right now in fact. But we are getting into the flu season and we're later to the party than other states due to our southern climate lagging behind as far as cold weather goes.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrywhitechick
I was wondering if anyone noticed...

No, and google trends doesnt notice anything either...
www.google.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

For me and my family it was more like June through July. But we were constantly sick with chest/head/ear/nose/throat stuff. It just kept coming back. It was very strange in that we have never been sick like that in the summertime. I really hadn't noticed that everyone's been well now for a good month or two until I read this.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Thanks for the warning!
i took sudafed and it actually seemed to help. Not a medicine taker for the most part but my ears were plugged and i was desperate to get it gone.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

It coincides with the start of school, when more people are interacting on a more regular basis.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Just about everyone I know seems to have been sick for past 2-3 weeks with this upper-respiratory sickness, me included. Started in the sinuses and it has moved its way to my lungs now. Not horrible by any means, but I can't seem to get rid of it and it just drains me. Oh well, worse things have happened.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You people need to eat more greens, and smoke more greens...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I got a sore throat from hell after walking through a dust storm in the phoenix area. The particles of dust were so fine I couldnt feel them when I breathed them in. After about 24 hrs I started getting sick starting with a sore throat which later on settled in my lungs feeling like pneumonia. I had antibiotics which helped but I looked up what the CDC had to say about contaminants in the dust and they had a 35% increase in infant mortality since the initial dust storm hit Phoenix. They attributed the infections to valley fever and a pneumonic plague of some sort carried by the dust. I still have hoarseness.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Just checked with the CDC about flu. We are in the beginning stages of flu like illness. Check out the link.

www.cdc.gov...

There is a trick in not catching the flu in the winter. Rub Vaseline in your nose. Have not had the flu in four years.

Edited to add: No buggers either! LOL
edit on 22-9-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

I find it odd that folks will not follow true statistics and will only go by word of mouth. Or conspiracy. The CDC is a fairly credible source.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It is the usual start to the fall allergy season.

That, coupled up with back to school time makes for more coughs than I care to count.

new topics

top topics

join