It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US tells Taiwan NO!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com... US has bailed out on the F16 [long planed] sale, thus giving china the open sky's??? would the USN step in and defend Taiwan?? will the US keep a fleet in or near Taiwan??? In Asia the US is seen weak and under China's influence. from the link

China expert Lee Chang-hyung of Seoul's government-affiliated Korea Institute for Defense Analyses also saw the U.S. decision to deny Taiwan new F-16s as reflecting China's economic leverage in Washington.
a little bribing?? or black mail??? he continues he being Lee Chang-hyung

"If it sells the fighter jets to Taiwan, it could sustain some big economic damage," he said. "I think the United States has taken that factor into account."
sounds like one of the 2 or both to me.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I wonder if this will fuel the push for China to retake the island..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is a crystal clear signal that the US is starting to abandon all but its most essential interests around the world.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The true reason why Obama and the last administration has been reluctant to sell all the weapons that Taiwan wants is because the US is not ready to have a confrontation with China with all the other ventures we're involved in.

Not that the US couldn't handle China now, but they'd rather wait till they have more resources not in the middle of conflicts in the Middle East.

The sales will happen, but just when the US is ready to confront China.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
According to published articles - that doesn't appear to be true. It's more a matter of not upsetting the trade relationship

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Probably had to do with why they bailed on Europe bail out, maybe us paying them with this for economic support

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Once again, the USA throws a loyal friend to the wolves. Are there really any US-friendly groups that the US has not shat on? Our country's foreign policy has just been FAIL on a massive scale for many years. Fail, that is, if real, rational national interests are at stake.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

well it did tell China we are not will to give Taiwan a good self defense system.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SadButTrue

that is part of it, the other part, is we get more cheep products from china than we do from Taiwan.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm kind of curious to see how this economic tug of war will play out.......curious to say the least.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SadButTrue

that or the US feels that Taiwan is not worth a war, "if china wants it let them have it", seems to be the norm , unless the country in question has oil , even then, we might just be spread to thin, look at Libya, for a counrty that has oil, we not in yet.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

any way it goes it will not be good for us the US or Taiwan, will we either get in a shooting match with china, or we will let china take Taiwan.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
news.yahoo.com... US has bailed out on the F16 [long planed] sale

It wasnt a "long planned" sale.
Taiwan has been asking for the F16 C/D variant since about 2006.
The USA has *always* said no (or the politically expedient version of "we'll discuss it later").
The news report you linked to was just the USA saying no yet again.

Here, for example, is a news story from January 2010 where the USA says "we'll discuss it later", which as I said is the nice way of saying 'no'.
nytimes

“We continue to study it,” a senior administration official said of the possible F-16 sales.

Edit - and here is an earlier news story from 2008 saying the same thing...
csmonitor

The US also continues to ignore a separate request by Taiwan for 66 advanced F-16 fighter jets.

edit on 21-9-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Why rock the boat?

First off, China is not about to attack Taiwan. There is multibillion dollar trade between Taiwan and China. Second, Taiwan has a formidable air-force already. The sales would be nice but at this moment in time would just cause unneeded controversy.

No need to go rushing into this half-cocked IMO.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
This thread is a little misleading, no we are not going to sell them new f-16's but we are going to upgrade there current fleet, wich makes them just as good as new planes. I think that's a far cry from throwing Tiawan to the wolves.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

well to me 5 years is a long time, and as a side note news.yahoo.com... china is now swelling with glee over the fact that we the US has bowed down to them, would be nice to have pic of obama bowing here, but the thought counts.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
OP you are half-right and half-wrong.

Half-right that the US didn't sell the jets to Taiwan.

Half-wrong that Obama didn't totally bow down to China... he will UPGRADE the existing jets Taiwan has.

US to upgrade Taiwanese F-16s

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

it, is and it is not the same yes the weapons /flight sys will be the same but the air frame will be old, and fatigued.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

that would have been kneeling before the emperor, (not selling the upgrades) i do not think he will go that far, but one never knows, if hes willing to sell the upgrades why not the C and Ds??? here is the A-B F16 www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

which block upgrade? the link is in a post of mine in this thread it will tell you the different upgrade blocks. side note from 1992 is a long time to fly the same air frame.

Taiwan

In November 1992, representatives of Taiwan and the United States signed an agreement for the sale of 150 Block 20 F-16 aircraft to Taiwan under the Peace Fenghuang Foreign Military Sales program. The Block 20 avionics configuration is very similar to the F-16A/B Mid-Life Update.
from the link www.globalsecurity.org... and here is the A/B block 20
www.globalsecurity.org... the C/D block upgrades www.globalsecurity.org...

edit on 22-9-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2011 by bekod because: added info. and word edit. and link

new topics

top topics

join