It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerning Brainwaves And Television

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
(Didn't know whether to put this here, in "Education & Media" or "Science & Technology", so I apologize if it's the incorrect board)

It doesn't take a lot of effort to discover the effects of television on your brain. A few seconds of Googling will yield a wealth of articles explaining how the flickering from the television causes one's brain to go from an active Beta state to an impressionable Alpha state.

Example: Your brain waves change when you watch tv

However, I'm trying to find out about other technology - particularly laptops since I use one so much. I just cannot seem to find any info on whether laptop screens can affect the brain in the same way tv screens do. I have my suspicions because I know there's a constant refresh rate going on, but I don't want to guess about it. Plus, there may be pieces to the puzzle that I'm not seeing.

Also, what about other gadgets, like the iPad or Nintendo DS?

Can anyone please shed some light on this matter?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
No need to worry about what the "waves" are doing to you, the propaganda's strong enough to have a suitable affect.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Forget about the brain with those devices, it's the low level radiation that you should care about.
Keep those laptops, DS's, and cell phones away from the body. Over time the effects of these devices are going to catch up with all of us, and make big Pharma a TON of money on treatments we'll need down the road.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ginga

Now that's a whole different subject. But a very intriguing one, nonetheless. I've always had trouble understanding the concept of using tv as some kind of compass for morality, opinions and social behavior.

I mean come on, you can't actually expect me to be afraid of people calling me "bacon-neck" because I don't use Michael Jordan's brand of white t-shirts. Or that I'm suddenly going to believe sugar is good for me because "whether it's corn sugar or cane sugar, your body can't tell the difference". Seriously?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

That's a good point, and certainly something worth researching. Thanks.

LOVE the signature, btw.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

Sure, watching TV changes your brain waves if for no more reason than it can be a medium that induces the mind to slip into alpha. But the type of program is important and could just as well engage the beta state or even the theta state, and if dull enough, could put you on into the delta (sleep) state. So on the face of it, there is nothing sinister about what TV does to your brain.

Except a few years ago they found in Japan that a series of flashing lights (red, I thing) caused some young toddlers to go into seizures. And just last week there was a reputable report that just a few minutes of a baby watching TV could change its brainwaves for several hours thereafter. As with a whole host of abnormal influences upon our natural state, the jury is still out on whether any of these are harmful in either the short or long term to humans. Studies are on-going because we continue to be the best Guinea pigs available!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Ok, it sounds like people may be getting confused about the nature of this topic. I'm not talking about the programming or the propaganda, I'm talking about the technical side of how the television flickering affects the brain. That's it. I'm not even suggesting that it's sinister. Just that it's there. And the only reason I even bring that up is because it leads to my question, which is the intended topic of this thread.

That question is: do computer screens affect our brain waves in the same way that television screens do?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It is telepathic when one is "tuned in".

top topics

join