It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbelievable home built out of two shipping containers (38 Photos)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
might want to rethink those comments

metal container+ lightning=crispy critters

great innovative idea but they carry risks
edit on 21-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

a moron could channel lightning away from a building....id assume they will account for that...a good test of their creativity would be to see if they could absorb a lightning strike and use it for power
edit on 22-9-2011 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
A metal box is like your car, it creates a "valence shell" (especially if properly grounded) so no harm to the occupant.

Your home already has a ground rod, look at your electrical panel and your water lines, you'll see a thick copper wire that leads outside and is buried several feet into the earth.

I love some of the designs linked to in this thread, although I still caution that to achieve the more elaborate you'll spend a lot more than you would using conventional construction. The other big hang-up is urban building codes. Obviously if you live in a remote area and have minimal codes (or none, like in parts of Montana) this could be a great way to build a home/shelter for little cost, but in most parts you have to comply with building codes and this is where things get expensive. I worked with a builder putting in a container home and we had to not only put it on a full slab but build into the slab a cellar with outside access to contain the utilities. Having to do all that eradicated the cost savings of going with a container. Most cities will also not permit a container home in the same fashion they'll block a trailer home or mobile home, i.e., they're restricted by zoning laws. Even going with a much more conventional pre-fab style home has some zoning issues that can add to costs.

I think most people will find out that to turn a container into a nice livable home isn't any more cost-effective than utilizing any of the vast number of pre-fab architecture out there. Containers have their pros, but they also have a number of cons.

On a similar note, anyone remember the old boxcar homes that were the rage from the 40's and 50's? I still see some of these when traveling through northern Minnesota. An old railroad boxcar with it's wheels removed and a porch slapped on over the door and instant home.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It seems that used shipping containers cost around $1500 to $2000 (USD). So...it's not bad, but all the other materials he used look more expensive. I wonder how much he saved by using the containers as opposed to stick built with foundation?

Surely he had to create a foundation so they don't settle weird?
edit on 9/22/2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
might want to rethink those comments

metal container+ lightning=crispy critters

great innovative idea but they carry risks
edit on 21-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Thats not true, the best place to be is in a metal box. The lightning woud travel down the skin of the building.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Make sure you get brand new containers and coat them with good paint. We have two at work that have rust holes in them after 5 years. You may want to consider a real roof. Also, before you make the final choice, go into one of them in the summer time. They get hot inside (90 degrees outside = 120 inside), to say the least.

I'm also only seeing two containers. Where do you see four DB? They are roughly the size of a small double wide if you put two together. About 20 paces from back to front.
edit on 27-9-2011 by Thestargateisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

Sno-seal or any of those rubberized roof/waterproof coatings would work...
if it were me I'd put down like a 2 inch blue-board and cover with a EPDM rubber roofing sheet...
not only would help insulate but cut down on the noise from rain and hail...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Oooh yea. Forgot about the noise rain makes on the metal containers. I rarely go out there (to the trailers), especially in the rain so I forgot about that.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I just found this thread and wanted to say that it has inspired me immensely.

Reading about these innovative solutions to building new homes makes me smile.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join