Unbelievable home built out of two shipping containers (38 Photos)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
might want to rethink those comments

metal container+ lightning=crispy critters

great innovative idea but they carry risks
edit on 21-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thats a cool house. Especially made from shipping containers. Imagine if you free recycled and made the house environmentally friendly and off the grid. Also this would make a awesome cottage or guest house. S&F

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It's no different than living in a mobile home but being probably 10x more sturdy. All of those exposed metal walls are underground so I doubt it'd be a lightning risk.

Corrugated Steel+interior wood frame > Aluminum-paneled wood frame.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
These things work great. It's not a really new idea.

We used to have a workshop in a shipping container, it was great. Lots of room. The frame is all the strength, you can cut the walls completely away and it still has all the strength. So you can put several side by side and remove the walls to make big rooms, without losing any strength. And obviously they stack like legos.

Check out this luxury beach house made of containers: www.flickr.com...

And here is a huge apartment building made of containers: www.flickr.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That is just awesome! I have always wondered though how do they seat and seal the windows and doors in a corrugated wall? I like the idea of the composting toilet as well as the generator building out front.

Wish we had a finished construction cost on this.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

ummm. not sure of the best way to say this with 2 lines so this is just filling

Faraday cage

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Thanks for posting,I have wanted to do this for the last 7 yrs but not in the position too.At least now I can show my wife what I have been talking about.Thank you friend.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Where i live in the Mojave desert you would have to bury the shipping containers under at least 3 feet of dirt.

A friend has a shipping container as a workshop and its covered with 6 inches of foam insulation and in the summer its still to hot to work in without a good AC unit,
It cost more to cool his shop with a AC unit then to cool his house with a swamp cooler.
He can not use a swamp cooler in the shop because it would rust the ways on his machines and tools.

I would love to build a underground home out of about 4 shipping containers spaced about a container apart and the area between bridged for more space

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Lightning travels on the outside of metal, and you could always add a lightning rod, with an insulator between it and the container, then have an insulated wire going into the ground. And in reply to an earlier post, would this work as a Faraday cage?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
With paint and some cleaver design, you almost couldn't tell it was made from shipping containers.

I always wanted to build a house out of shipping containers. Though it's very hard to find a place on the web that even has a price
. The only price i could find was on amazon for $2,500 for a 40ft used container, though they listed shipping at 4k...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
made me think of this old classic

"redneck mansion"

blog.ratestogo.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
When I move back to Moldova I am going to build my retirement home out of 6 or 8 of those 40ft "high cube" containers. Swiss friend of mine built one there using 4 of them. He covered the outside of his with 6 inches of polystyrene foam. He said the heating and cooling costs are almost nonexistent.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Nice, tho i bet it could get a bit cave like in there, I'm looking at doing something like that myself, as it would be much more efficient than buying a home, even in the current housing environment.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentNoise

There is a place just down the road from me that sells them. I think they run between 2-5K depending on the size so that sounds about right.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at

made me think of this old classic

"redneck mansion"

blog.ratestogo.com...

Home!!!

(sorry one liner...had to do it)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I see there are fellow chivers here...
Stay calm and chive on...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
"BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!!"

Better get used to that noise when you live in a freaking shipping container.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Shipping containers have been used for years to build houses and businesses in Asia. Set on piers and using the containers ability to be locked to the piers, they are typhoon proof. So as one poster put it, they wouldn't pass Dade county code for a permit, we can see why. You just can't have a Hurricane proof house that's against the law.

Glad to see that someone in the US has decided to use the container in this way. Don't know how much they cost used in the US but we can get brand new 40' - 45' high capacity containers for $2k or less and right now they are over stocked, so it's bargaining time for extra savings.

Thanks OP for bringing this to the attention of the ATS community in the US, you folks need a home that banks can't steal and that you don't have to mortgage your first born too get a loan for.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree, if only someone could invent like a long piece of copper rod so someone could put it in the ground.
Then in the event of a lightning storm, you could run to the rod and hold on or something.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by neo96

I agree, if only someone could invent like a long piece of copper rod so someone could put it in the ground.
Then in the event of a lightning storm, you could run to the rod and hold on or something.

Wow that sounds like the worst idea of the week...

Did I miss the sarcasm memo?

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join