It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unbelievable home built out of two shipping containers (38 Photos)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The title is wrong... in looking at the photo's it looks like this wilderness retreat was built from 4 shipping containers...

Anyway here is a cool idea for a remote cost effective Survival getaway... there's no how too but lots of photos of every step of the process... maybe not bullet resistant but its steel structure means it can weather some pretty bad storms...
Click here to see this project start to finish at Chive

Although it’s not clear whether the home was designed by an architect, it appears to be a clever project that make efficient use of space. The Chive has tons of pictures of the construction of the home – from the containers being dropped on the lots and buried into the hill all the way through final construction and the addition of furniture and decor. Two containers were set next to each other, and a large arched hole was cut in-between to connect them together and create a larger living space. The interior was framed with 2×4′s then insulated and paneled with wood, and double-paned windows were installed on 3 sides.

The two-bedroom, one-bath house features a composting toilet to save water and makes use of both photovoltaic panels and solar hot water heaters to reduce energy demands. The home is partially buried into a hill in the back, which helps moderate interior temperatures while a wood-fired stove provides heating. Although we’d certainly have liked to see a skylight or two for more daylighting, the resident’s hunting trophies are at least adequately lit. Vintage and antique furniture pieces pair nicely with the camo decor, creating unified redneck aesthetic.

edit on 21-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Wow, S+F!

What a great-lookin' shipping container-house!

It's more fancy on the inside, than my own house...

Today seems to be all about epic houses...Was just reading about this "Hobbit hole", that this guy & his family built!

What a great idea.... (guy builds his own Hobbit hole)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It would be awesome if you dug down into the soil and built a few floors. If you built loads of floors you could have ones dedicated to growing food, storage rooms, personal apartments, education facilities, sports areas. Ok maybe I'm getting a little too ambitious.

Wish I had the money and land to do this!

P.S Could always build an 'Abroad' torturing facility..

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Building down doesn't always work...
in my part of the world the first water table is only a few feet deep...
dig a hole deep enough for one of these shipping containers and 24 hours later the hole will be a pond...

not a bad idea... if where you live will allow..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My wife and I have been looking at land and construction cost, we actually are considering building a cargo container home in the near future (4-9 months) depending on how some investments turn out.

Its a great Idea and ridiculously cheap for the sq ft you get. we have been looking at Earthship type homes, and Earth Sheltered homes as well, these seem to be the best method for us.
edit on 21-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Thats amazing, S+F

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by TechUnique

Building down doesn't always work...
in my part of the world the first water table is only a few feet deep...
dig a hole deep enough for one of these shipping containers and 24 hours later the hole will be a pond...

not a bad idea... if where you live will allow..

Didn't think of that.. I know nothing of construction so I'd probably end up opening a sinkhole..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Pretty cool, and cheap.

And if you can't get them up by knocking the door, knock the wall

Reminds me of this one, use what is allready there.

edit on 21-9-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The "Taj Malodge"! That's great. Well done, but I'm curious about the plumbing?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Thats freaken AWSOME..........I love the wood!!!!!!!

I want one damnit!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
These kind of things restore my faith in humanity. When we are not suppressed, drugged, dumbed down and terrorized our potential for great and ingenious things is limitless!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Pretty cool, and cheap.

And if you can't get them up by knocking the door, knock the wall

Reminds me of this one, use what is allready there.

That... is.... PRO.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
The "Taj Malodge"! That's great. Well done, but I'm curious about the plumbing?

Looks to be just regular old residential plumbing in picture 32 you see the hot water tank and pressure regulator...
this is just a guess but I think he might have some form of hot water floor heating... I don't see the typical manifold but he does have some odd connections there...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I thought of doing this also. If you google `container homes`, you will see some really good homes built out of containers. Havent seen this one but its an ok cheap home.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Nice idea. Real ugly interiors though.

In Zurich there is even a shop called "Freitag Tower" which is made out of 17 containers:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
That's a very creative use of two shipping containers.
I imagine that with 4 you could make an even larger home.

However in Miami-Dade county that would never be approved by the Code Dept.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
God knows we have plenty of empty shipping containers sitting around these days. I like this concept and the possibilities are really endless. Combine enough of these pods connected with corridors and you could have quite the compound. Kind of like this but without the helicopter.

www.cleveland.com...

This is really a great solution to many problems associated with new construction of a weekend retreat or a primary residence. I'd probably configure them like a houseboat.

Here is a cool site all about downsizing and living on the small. Some great ideas.

www.relaxshacks.blogspot.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
In Amsterdam they have student houses made with containers, one atop the other, very nice

www.tempohousing.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Pretty neat.. Thought I would test the new ATS uploading system!!

I think it is a work of art..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Double double wide! I like the idea of re-purposing the containers. The rooms look small but cozy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join