It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The People of Palestine Are Heading For a Huge Let Down With Possible Major Regional Conflict To Fol

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I came across of this video today showing Palestinians in the West Bank holding a peaceful rally in anticipation to the upcoming UN bid for statehood.

I definitely support the idea of recognizing Palestine as its own state. The part that worries me is that it's like they are already celebrating. I think it's easy to say that their bid will get shot down. The constant pressure from Obama, Sarkozy, and Netanyahu on the other UN members is definitely going to hamper any hopes they might have. This is not even considering the US veto power.

Obama making final push to blunt Palestinian bid

U.S. President Barack Obama will walk a fine line at the United Nations Wednesday when he is expected to urge the Palestinians to back off their bid for statehood without appearing to reverse his support for a two-state solution with Israel. Frustrated with the lack of progress with Israel towards a two-state option, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas is going directly to the UN. Obama, who has publicly favoured a two-state plan, now runs the risk of upsetting the Arab world and appearing to flip flop if he uses his veto-power to shut down the Palestinians' UN bid. But Israel, which remains one of America's closest allies, would be furious if Obama and the U.S. were to support the Palestinians.

So Obama who previously criticized Netanyahu for not considering the 1967 borders pretty much proves it was all publicity and not a real concern of his by backing down from his earlier advice.

Sarkozy will ask Palestinians to drop UN membership bid, Abbas remains determined

The French and U.S. presidents planned to heap pressure on their Palestinian counterpart Wednesday in a concerted push to persuade Mahmoud Abbas to end his bid for full U.N. membership and to instead seek upgraded status in the world body.

Not a surprise really, even though Sarkozy has also criticized Israel in the media. Probably for political support at home if you ask me. It is clear that these two leaders are prime examples of blind puppets who bow to the state of Israel.

So what happens when this bid ends up getting rejected? Honestly I am not sure, but the Arab world will not be happy. Of course there will be protests from Palestinians, maybe even violence. What I'm worried about is other players in the area such as Turkey and Saudi Arabia. I do recall the Saudis telling Obama not to veto the bid, not sure of it is an empty threat or not. Turkey has been saber rattling lately and seem to be looking to capitalize on all the "action" going on in the region. No one can really tell.

It is certainly correct to say the whole Middle East and surrounding areas are a fire waiting to be ignited. Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Egypt, Cyprus, Greece, and many other countries are going through political and economical turmoil.

Once the Palestinian's hopes are shattered, I have a feeling that things will really begin to heat up over there, causing conflict between many nations. I hope I am wrong.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The Middle East is probably going to have another major war by the end of this year anyway because of the way things are going right now...

edit on 21-9-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

I totally agree, the conditions are too perfect for it not to happen. The sad thing is that countries from both sides have lots to gain from this upcoming conflict. Many countries have lots to lose as well, as with any war.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
100% agree. Front page of MSNBC reads "Obama to UN: There is no shortcut to mideast peace" It says he is playing against a Palestinian bid for statehood.

dats no bueno

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Thanks for this news corrup, the Palestinian hope for statehood has been on my mind, and I try to follow whats going on with that situation. Every day, my President does something that enrages me further, because it is the opposite of what he represented at a much earlier time. Thank goodness there are only a few more months of his Administration left, I very much am convinced he will not be re elected. But I have been wondering what Ron Paul (or Michele Bachmann's) decisions on Palestinian statehood would be, were they to win.
(No, I don't want to think about Perry, lets not go there.......)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
As i posted elsewhere:

As for WWIII-yes this will be the spark, watch. The Palestinians will lobby for their state, it will get widespread approval at the UN, the US will veto it, the world will become outraged, the Gazans will start up with rocket attacks, there will be widespread massive demonstrations that start peaceful at first but quickly become violent, the whole thing spirals out of control. Israel overreacts and hits back, but this time the Arab League isnt having it and well then there ya go.....thats how it starts. I wont bother filling in the rest.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

For a name such as princeofpeace, you sure do talk like a warhawk

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I know that only prince can speak for himself, but it appears to me, he was only merely saying, "See, toldja so, this was my theory of how global conflict would start, and now it's playing out, real time"
I don't think princeofpeace advocates such.
edit on 21-9-2011 by simone50m because: x

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As simone50m stated-i do not advocate this nor am i wishing for it. Im just merely stating IMO how this could go down. This is a very dangerous situation.....

Originally posted by Gwampo
reply to post by princeofpeace

For a name such as princeofpeace, you sure do talk like a warhawk

edit on 21-9-2011 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
Thanks for this news corrup, the Palestinian hope for statehood has been on my mind, and I try to follow whats going on with that situation. Every day, my President does something that enrages me further, because it is the opposite of what he represented at a much earlier time. Thank goodness there are only a few more months of his Administration left, I very much am convinced he will not be re elected. But I have been wondering what Ron Paul (or Michele Bachmann's) decisions on Palestinian statehood would be, were they to win.
(No, I don't want to think about Perry, lets not go there.......)

I really feel sorry for you amerikans. Dont you know that Obama is your last president?

Ron Paul is just a side thing to make you all think oh well let them do what they want now, soon Ron paul will save us. oh yeh patience is good, Ron paul will straighten things out. Oh yeh sure we said Obama is the ONE when bush was in power, but now we know that Ron Paul is really the ONE. Oh no we wont learn from history, EVER!

He is your last president, its all pre planned, you either save yourself now or never, dont worry about palestine. they will have more freedom than you amerikans will do in the future!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
The Middle East is probably going to have another major war by the end of this year anyway because of the way things are going right now...

edit on 21-9-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

They can't get through a decade without a major regional war. We will have one before 2020.

Its a tradition.

2003 Iraq War
1991 Gulf War
1980 Iran-Iraq War
1973 Yom Kippur War
1967 Six Day War
1956 Suez War
1948 Israeli War of Independence
1939 World War 2
1924 Great Syrian Revolt 1922 Iraqi Revolt
1919 Turkish War of Independence 1914 World War 1
so on and so forth.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It is very sad to see them celebrating like that in the street, not knowing better than to expect the usual stall tactics from the corrupt states in the UN. Over 60 years now, and they still have no hope.

I get so angry when I see Netanyahu share his twisted logic and opinions on how the thinks people should see things. I think that he believes if he repeats the same lies over and over then people will start to believe it.

Saudi Arabia better stand by their statement and raise some hell if the USA vetoes the UN bid. But I have a feeling that Sarkozy, Netanyahu, and Obama have done enough damage control so the US won't have to use their veto. I predict certain counties who openly supported the bid to recant their statements and vote against it.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Obama sure has a habit of doing the opposite of what he says, but we are all used to it. It enrages me too to see the world leaders use the Palestinian people and their situation as a pawn in worldwide politics. We always hope for change with the next leader, but it is usually the same thing. It's obvious they don't work for the people who elected them into office or we would have a very different world.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

He's talking as a realhawk.

That's exactly what is going to happen, it is the most logical conclusion. It already has been set in motion by the start of the North african/middle east uprisings in Tunisia.

Just like the assassination of archduke Franz Ferdinand was said to be the spark of WWI, It will be written that Mohammed Bouazizi (vendor that set himself on fire) sparked WWIII.

Your here to deny ignorance, and I hope this helps :/.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It is foolish to support Palestinian statehood bid. USA is committing a mistake by promising this. Palestinians must be absorbed into neighbouring countries of Egypt, Jordon, Syria and Lebanon. An independent state of Palestine is a disaster waiting to happen.

An independent country should have a decent critical mass in terms of land, people and economy which this 'independent state of Palestine' will never have. Palestinians are existing only on doles received from other countries.

BTW, I am not a jew, and I have no vested interest in this.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by vedatruth

Gaza and the West Bank could be self sufficient minus a few imports if they were allowed to actually function as a society and grow.

The Israelis have bombed most of Gazan infrastructure such as factories, plumbing, and power. They are not allowed to rebuild due to the blockade and materials that have been deemed "illegal". The West Bank is under the constant threat of settlement expansion so there is not much that can be done there either at this time.

There is used to be lots of farm land for the Palestinians. The Israelis have taken most of it, and they have a habit of burning down and or poisoning the small amount of olive groves that remain. These are all facts, if you do not believe me I urge you to look into it.

In all reality Palestine could be just as successful as Israel if they were given the chance to rebuild and interact with the rest of the world. They have a dense population as well. They would be able to defend build their own army and similar organizations for defense.

I don't agree that the Palestinians should be spread out to neighboring countries. If anything the Israelis should be relocated back to Europe and the US. That would be much more logical considering how they all got into this mess.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The statehood thing can backfire in a big way for Palestine. Let's say they get the nod from the UN and then someone launches one of those rockets they that seem to come from that side of the fence from time to time. Now you've got an act of war and that means that Israel, and her allies, will have the ability retaliate in a manner that would be far more devastating than they've done in the past.

Yes, this also means that Israel's actions are now likely to be brought up in the UN but I think it's a safe bet that the rocket will be fired before Israel does anything that would be brought up before the UN.

This possible conflict could wind up creating a big war. Since Palestine would, in theory, have allies (Iran et al) and there'd be no hiding behind rhetoric and politics.

On the flip side to that, let's again assume they win the recognition they desire and that same rocket is fired and Israel is ready to retaliate, with the blessings of her allies. When Palestine turns around to see who publicly has her back, she might find that those nations who have, for years, secretly armed and funded her fight with Israel, are no longer willing to get involved since their involvement would allign them against Israel and her allies. In other words, do those middle eastern nations who covertly (and not so covertly) fund and arm the fighting on the Palestinian side really want to go to war with Israel and her allies?

I don't think so.

Sadly, this isn't merely a fight over space. This is the Hatfields and the Mccoys. They've been at it for so long that there is no longer any real reason to fight. Give the Palestinians land and UN recognition, they will fight for something else. If Palestine concedes the recognition and agrees to the boundaries set by Israel, Israel will still wind up doing something to piss off the Palestinians.

There is no solution.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Obama champions the revolution in the arab world and yet he vetos this? What a crock... Its easy to see why when you watch all them elected people, giving standing ovations to israeli premiers ect. I hope Palistine gets its state.

edit on 22-9-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I posted the following comment in a similar thread a few days ago but I'll reiterate it because it is relevant to the OP...

I am jewish, and I fully support a Palestinian state, as do the majority of Israelis, and members of the Knesset.

The problem is, if Palestine is granted statehood, then what?

There are divided factions within the Palestinian camp regarding proposed borders. Hamas is the elected governing body of Gaza, and it has openly opposed the PLO bid to the UN because it recognizes the right of Israel to exist based on 1967 borders. The Hamas charter states that Israel does not have the right to exist, period.

Hypothetically, if Palestine is granted statehood by the UN, and the PLO and Israel subsequently came to terms on a peace agreement based on 1967 borders, there would still be significant factions within Gaza and the West Bank that would be opposed, and violence would inevitably ensue as a result.

Unless the Palestinians are predominantly unified, and represented by a legitimate governing body that is willing to negotiate in good faith and respresent the voice of the people, there will never be everlasting peace in the region.

Remember, the last time Israel was represented by a left wing government and conceded occupied land by forcefully removing thousands of Israeli settlers, Palestinian militants used the land that was given back to them as a launching pad for rockets against innocent Israeli citizens.

The situation is far more complex than many people care to recognize.

edit on 22-9-2011 by Humanity4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by vedatruth

Gaza and the West Bank could be self sufficient minus a few imports if they were allowed to actually function as a society and grow.

The Israelis have bombed most of Gazan infrastructure such as factories, plumbing, and power. They are not allowed to rebuild due to the blockade and materials that have been deemed "illegal". The West Bank is under the constant threat of settlement expansion so there is not much that can be done there either at this time.

There is used to be lots of farm land for the Palestinians. The Israelis have taken most of it, and they have a habit of burning down and or poisoning the small amount of olive groves that remain. These are all facts, if you do not believe me I urge you to look into it.

In all reality Palestine could be just as successful as Israel if they were given the chance to rebuild and interact with the rest of the world. They have a dense population as well. They would be able to defend build their own army and similar organizations for defense.

I don't agree that the Palestinians should be spread out to neighboring countries. If anything the Israelis should be relocated back to Europe and the US. That would be much more logical considering how they all got into this mess.

My viewpoint is based on the nature of the conflict and reality on the ground. As I said, I have no vested interest in it.

This is the problem with this conflict, that each side is trying to be more devilish than the other. Thats why we have such a mess.

I have already said in another thread that this issue is directly linked to the existence of the state of Israel. You corroborated that.

My point is if you make a state out of two disconnected pieces of land having a dense and rapidly growing population, little industry and little farming, you are sitting on a landmine.

Of course the alternative is that all jews are 'relocated' elsewhere so that jewish problem goes away. But will that make 'muslim' problem go away?

Next you will have Islamic Khalifat (as al Qaida wants). The population explosion in Muslim countries mean they need more land. Where will it come from?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join