It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows xp, xp pro---problems with newer Firefox releases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
FYI. Just messed up my install of Windows xp pro and did a complete reinstall. Naturally downloaded the latest version of Firefox. It started crashing after about every third search. So I looked to run it in safe mode. No safe mode!

Remember problems I had with Firefox 3.6. Went back and installed Firefox 2.0. No crashes, no need to run in safe mode. The latest Firefox releases seem stable in recent Linux distros though. Mint, PCLinuxOS, no problems.

If you have the hard drive space a dual boot with Windows xp and your favorite version of Linux is worthwhile. PCLinuxOS is easy to work with but they have persistent repository problems. Mint looks extremely well polished and uses Ubuntu repositories.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Strange.

I am using firefox 6.0.2 with windowx xp pro, and have no issues with either firefox or windows crashing.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by occrest

They say to run a registry cleaner. I've been down that road before. Rather not.
The latest version of Firefox was horrible for me on Windows xp pro. For awhile went back to internet explorer. OMG. -----

I am running sp2 on this. Maybe this is an issue.
edit on 21-9-2011 by yourmamaknows because: incompletse

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

I'm able to use the newest build of FF on my XP sp3 machine with no issues, ditto that for 64 bit. 3.6 did have some issues but it was quickly patched.

I wouldn't advise anyone to still be running XP at this point, there is no reason to be. And I'm no fanboy, I help on to XP as long as I could but the security issues alone are enough to upgrade to win7, as well as (hardware allowing)better performance.

Linux is a free viable option, some of the user friendly ones like Fedoracore and Ubuntu have a pretty mild learning curve for the average windows user. In fact, there are various "Live" versions of many popular linux distros that don't even require an install, they run "live" from the CD or DVD (or USB Key) but obviously rely on your system ram.

One of the issues you might encounter with firefox crashes are outdated or corrupted plugins. FF usually does a good job of finding these problems before it causes a problem, but in the past I have had crashes due to corrupted addons.
edit on 21-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Was running PCLinuxOS since 2007. Pretty good, but without financial backing they frequently run out of server bandwidth and change repository locations often. Ubuntu is very good but they recently made some changes that fans didn't like. Mint is stunning. Very easy on the eyes.

top topics

join