It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hooligans? What would Happen if ONLY Women and Kids Were Allowed to Attend?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Many people from the States regard soccer (football) with a shrug or pure hatred. Often times the insanity of the crowds aka hooligans are a point that is easy to use in describing the "idiots" that watch soccer.

In the states, we have bad behavior from the fans at every game. A man was beaten into a coma outside LA Dogers Stadium for wearing the wrong team jersey. A man tasered three fans in a fight @ Meadowlands Jets Monday night game last week -etc etc...there are dozens each week -heck, a while back Philadelphia put a makeshift courtroom in the basement of the stadium to hear cases immediately!

Pick your sport, bad behavior in the name of "I paid to be here - I have a right" is rampant -what to do?

In Turkey, they did something interesting. There have been many coruption problems in Turkish soccer, and fan violence is high - they are insane for their teams. Due to violence that has ruined games, the Turkish Soccer Federation did what many around the world have done - they forced those offending teams to play games in EMPTY stadiums. And then someone said - what if we let in only women and children? What would happen?

Well, in a nut shell - the game happened. The opposing team was even applauded on introduction - and all were cheered for their effort - what a cool idea!

Women and Children ONLY

Would it/could it work here? Interesting.

CJ
edit on 21-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Many people from the States regard soccer (football) with a shrug or pure hatred. Often times the insanity of the crowds aka hooligans are a point that is easy to use in describing the "idiots" that watch soccer.

Sometimes you have to wonder about the "violent" idiots who play the game.

Ever seen what some of those soccer players think is ok to do in a game..all in the name of good fun, and winning?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Here are a few more articles regarding the historic and successful day for Fenerbache.

Women and Kids only a success

NYT Blog

Jailed Chairman Greatful for Female fans

Could this happen in the states?

CJ
edit on 21-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Here in the UK things can get extremely bad over a football game, I mean i actually know alot of people who if you said a bad thing about there team, you could expect to be stabbed in the face.

Nearly all men that watch football here are total idiots.

I like to watch a match now and then myself but at least i can controll myself (which isnt hard tbh).

I'd better not say what i would do with football hooligans.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
That is very interesting. My buddy sent me a video not that long ago of what some people end up doing in these cases, they line up in old school battle lines and go at it in a 1950's style gang fight, but actually don't use any weapons at all. Its actually pretty interesting too, because half the time these guys beat the crap out of each other only to be like "Good game" afterwards. Literally saw a guy who got punched out badly get up and shake the other "team"'s hands. Not all end up being friendly when its all over, but honestly its good to see people TRYING to take out their disagreements in a semi-chivalrous way. Treize Kushrinada from Gundam Wing said it best, "War without Chivalry is nothing but a massacre"

I guess testosterone gets pumping with that adrenaline and some people just take things too far.

After being called a nerd when i talk about a video game or something, i actually started calling some of my football fan friends Nerds, since they fit the bill more than other "nerds" lol.

But in the end, self control is what these Hooligans need to have. I would laugh if the women-children-only rule started spreading, even though it can be taken as a little discriminatory

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharterZZ
Here in the UK things can get extremely bad over a football game, I mean i actually know alot of people who if you said a bad thing about there team, you could expect to be stabbed in the face.

Nearly all men that watch football here are total idiots.

I like to watch a match now and then myself but at least i can controll myself (which isnt hard tbh).

I'd better not say what i would do with football hooligans.

I agree. Speaking of being glassed in the face because of the color of your tie...

A guest at a christening needed 50 stitches after he was glassed in the face following a quip about his orange tie representing the 'tangerine' colours of Blackpool Football Club, a court heard.

Wrong colored tie

CJ

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have to ask this regarding sports in general.

What's the appeal?

Playing them is fun. Watching a skilled athlete or athletes play it can be impressive especially if you have played it yourself.

But when it come to simply aligning yourself to some team or club based on nothing more than geographic location what's the point besides just satisfying some jingoistic desire to join a master race or hate another for the sake of hate?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It's not bad in the US at all! I can take my family to NFL games or to a college stadium without any concerns. Some cities are worse than others of course...Philly fans threw beer bottles at Santa Claus one year from crying out loud!

Soccer is a lot different in Europe though. I had a friend that grew up in England (Chelsea). He had a huge scar where a knife got shoved through his cheek at a game. He said they put up chain link fences inside the stadium to keep the fans separate. They'd sharpen the edges of coins to throw at each other through the fence.

I worked in a British pub on a beach in Florida for a few years. Every Brit within 20 miles would come to watch all the games but we never had any problems. Even during the Celtic-Rangers game everybody was friendly...I noticed that Westham fans had a bad reputation but never had any problems though.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What would Happen if ONLY Women and Kids Were Allowed to Attend?

- empty stadiums -- how many women you know are into football/soccer ??
- clubs in financial problems
- boring games, no ambiance in the stadiums
- the hools will meet outside the stadium

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Good points and I agree - I can only speak for myself - I was influenced by family growing up and followed the local football team. At the time, football was much different than it is now. The team was pretty much that year in and year out - a couple new faces each year but the same guys played a long time for one team - you grew to know their good and bad tendencies and you were forced to pull for them year after year...

In Denver in 1977, the town had been through an oil boom bust -and was really bust...the Broncos, a league doormat, somehow managed to beat the Steelers and Raiders to play the Cowboys in the Superbowl...following them that season gave the town something to be happy about - it really did. We saw ourselves as our team - never give up...sure we got hammered in the SB, but it did not matter - we were on the map...

It is different now, or so it seems to me. I do not care for pro sports as I used to.

CJ

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

It seems like people are missing the OP - it DID happen and it WAS great! Why can't it happen here?

CJ

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I have to ask this regarding sports in general.

What's the appeal?

Playing them is fun. Watching a skilled athlete or athletes play it can be impressive especially if you have played it yourself.

But when it come to simply aligning yourself to some team or club based on nothing more than geographic location what's the point besides just satisfying some jingoistic desire to join a master race or hate another for the sake of hate?

I agree, not wanting to participate yourself is odd.

It makes even less sense when people support a team (say Man United) and most of the players are foreign anyway. How are they still Manchester United ? You also have people from all over England and the world supporting Man utd for instance

I see so many people going to matches where I live and I don't understand how they can't see it's just a money making exercise, an industry. The overweight drunkards wearing the team shirts and track suits is hilarious aswell, they probably could'nt run for more that 2 minutes.

The over identifying with a team and the mindless violence that goes with it is almost unfathomable, I can only conclude that the majority of fans have a need to beat their chests are engage in 'tribal' behaviour, they must have nothing else.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

It makes even less sense when people support a team (say Man United) and most of the players are foreign anyway. How are they still Manchester United ? You also have people from all over England and the world supporting Man utd for instance

In America it seems 70-80% of the professional baseball teams are players who were brought here from Cuba just to play.

Lot of home-town pride there.

Seems that more than anything the fans are cheering for the team owners profits and the advertisers bottom line.

Maybe that's it. Rooting for an essentially useless enterprise to create so much wealth is like rooting for America as a whole.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
They would probably ruck outside of sports bars instead tbh.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Sometimes you have to wonder about the "violent" idiots who play the game.

Ever seen what some of those soccer players think is ok to do in a game..all in the name of good fun, and winning?

What are you talking about? The game has a set of rules and referees and if someone gets out of line, they get penalized. "Violence" is part of the game, and it also happens to be a part of life, and in some cases sports are good preparation for life.

The OP is about the fans, not the players, and there is no call for the fans to get violent. The OP happens to be specifically about women and children attending the games, and being much better sports about it, and I think that is very interesting. I've thought for a long time the US has it all wrong in raising ticket prices and eliminating the common family from attending the games. Baseball in particular, the prices are through the roof, and the stadiums sit half-empty.

Maybe they should let women and children in for free, and charge the men? Fill up the stadiums with good sports, and people that will appreciate their time there!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks getreadyalready! I thought it was a neat social "experiment" - one that went off well and may teach us something...I have not brought my 9 year old to a Broncos game due to what I have seen recently...when I was in 4th grade my mom used to pack me and my brother on the bus to go downtown by ourselves to the games...people in our row "looked out" for us, but we were not the only kids going by themselves. Never in a million years today.

I like the fact they were LOUD too...

CJ

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

It DID happen and it WAS great ???

Deny ignorance much ? Read the first line of the ESPN Article about it:

ANKARA, Turkey -- Turkey tried a new approach to curbing crowd violence at soccer games -- kick out all of the men, but let women and children attend for free

Full on PR Show. Nothing else.

Edit:>
Maybe as well the last phrase of the article:

"It's difficult playing without the fans."
Fenerbahce defender Joseph Yobo
edit on 21-9-2011 by svetlana84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What are you talking about? The game has a set of rules and referees and if someone gets out of line, they get penalized. "Violence" is part of the game, and it also happens to be a part of life, and in some cases sports are good preparation for life.

They do if they get caught... but it seems like its ok..for them to do it..and even encouraged amongst players..according to what CJ has said in other posts.

Then he has the audacity to complain about violence in the fans??

If violence is part of the game..well maybe we need to take a deeper look at what we find "entertaining", and as a mother ..I wouldn't take my kids to a sports show that shows players kicking each other in the shin..deliberately fouling each other...all for the bloody sake of winning and ego.

So I guess children need to learn violence in preparation for life?? yep that's a good ticket to success..

We are teaching our children that only winning matters .. and if it takes violence..so be it.

I think there is a place for playful competition, and an outlet for physical exercise.. beyond that....its all ego, and underhandedness..to win..WIN..WIN..

CJ has said that any professional soccer player..that is not worth anything, would never get picked for a team unless he knew how to intentionally foul, and did it.

Now hes complaining about the hooligan fans? Seems a little hypocritical to me.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84

It DID happen and it WAS great ???

Deny ignorance much ? Read the first line of the ESPN Article about it:

ANKARA, Turkey -- Turkey tried a new approach to curbing crowd violence at soccer games -- kick out all of the men, but let women and children attend for free

Full on PR Show. Nothing else.

Why are you so angry?
How is the line "It did happen and was great" not true?
Regardless if it was free - there would have been NO ONE there ie: NO TICKETS SOLD anyway -did you read the OP??
In one sense, yes, it is a PR show. Of course. Hopefully a lesson may be learned. As getreadyalready pointed out, most stadiums sit half full anyway on a good day. Deny Ignorance? On an ESPN article? Calm dooooon.

CJ

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Why are you trying to trash me here? Who are you? Please either respond to the OP ie stay on topic or be reported.

CJ

top topics

<<   2 >>

join