It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RED ALERT: Monsanto's "Sweet" Corn Coming To A Grocery Store Near You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The following is an email I recieved from a consumer advocate group for organic foods. Monsanto has apparently produced, for the first time, a raw GMO round-up ready crop that is made for direct human consumption instead of being used for animal feed.

As has been demonstrated in the past, this a very dangerous proposition:

www.naturalnews.com...

-----Begin Transmission-----

Dear Friends and CSA members,

We have resisted the urge to forward petitions to you up until now. We think that this is too important an issue to be quiet about. Part of the following is copied from another party. If you would like to explore information about the potential hazards to our health, our food system, and to our planet, you can find visit an excellent site devoted to GMO awareness at www.responsibletechnology.org...

Please let us know if you think it is appropriate or not for us to inform you about food related issues that we think are important. It is not our intent to push our view of any controversial subject, however, if you would like to hear more from us about our perceptions concerning our food system, we would be happy to share some of our thoughts. We would certainly be appreciative to hear yours as well.

All the best

This fall, Monsanto, the corporation who produces roughly 90% of the world's genetically modified seeds, will try to bring their new, GMO sweet corn to a grocery store aisle or farmer's market near you.

Unlike Monsanto's other GMO crops -- which are primarily fed to animals -- this sweet corn is intended for direct human consumption.

This is the first time Monsanto has engineered a vegetable that could be served straight to your dinner table. And if this unlabeled, and potentially toxic crop succeeds, Monsanto is sure to bring us even more.

As an activist and consumer, we are in a powerful position to pressure leading U.S. grocery stores to reject Monsanto's new GMO corn.

I just signed a petition telling major grocery stores around the country that I don't want Monsanto's sweet corn on the shelves. Will you join me and help stop this unsafe food?

act.credoaction.com...

-----End Transmission-----

Even worse, since Monsanto's new sweet corn is genetically modified to tolerate Roundup, this new GMO sweet corn could pass the same health and infertility problems that Food Democracy Now! previously documented in our video interview of Dr. Don Huber, a retired plant pathologist who discovered a link between Roundup to crop disease and livestock infertility, on to humans who consume Monsanto's GMO sweet corn.

act.credoaction.com...

Be afraid, be very afraid.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I thought their toxic corn was already on the US market? Wasn't there studies showing their corn was tied to organ failures? Why have people not rallied together and shut down their factories by now?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Out of curiosity, are there any tell tale signs on anything GMO that we can tell the difference. I mean, using the example of the post, is there any way to tell the difference between GMO corn and true organic corn just by looking at it.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Oh, I figure here would be just as good as place as any. I sent Kroger an email a few weeks ago asking what their stance on GMO food is. Below is a copy/paste of their reply.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Kroger supports the Food Marketing Institute's position that it is the responsibility of the FDA to provide standards on food labeling and testing and to maintain an active, science-based monitoring program to ensure that only safe, wholesome and nutritious products reach the market. The FDA's food labeling policy already requires appropriate labeling if genetic engineering significantly changes the structure, function or nutritional makeup of the food.

We further support FMI's request to the FDA to clearly define what constitutes a GM food or product. FDA should establish criteria for "GM Free" and "non-GM ingredient" labeling. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) should develop guidelines for advertising claims about food biotechnology.

All organic products are GMO free.

Sincerely,

Christie Metropulos
Consumer Affairs

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Kroger is like any corporation; interested in the bottom line. They will of course defer to the FDA, who must assuredly has our best interests at heart.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Oh I know, passing the buck is common occurrence.

However, they did not exactly answer my question either.

new topics

top topics

join