It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gang Members, I want your input

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
If there are any gang members out there I'd love to have your input on some things.

1.Why are you in a gang?
2.What are your gangs main activities?
3.How many of your neighbours are either in your gang or protected by it?

I have my own theories on the formation of gangs.
I think they form because people don't feel like they are part of the broader society. I also think that the average gang member, if born thousands of years ago would have been part of the warrior class, I think most cops would have been the leaders of this warrior class and everyone else would have been traders, farmers e.t.c

I guess what i'm looking for here is opinions and insight as we don't really have gangs that exist for any reason other then for organised crime in Australia and the concept of 'shaking down' your neighbours when they are just as 'left out' as you (gang members) baffles me.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Are you police?
2nd

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
If there are any gang members out there I'd love to have your input on some things.

1.Why are you in a gang?
2.What are your gangs main activities?
3.How many of your neighbours are either in your gang or protected by it?

I have my own theories on the formation of gangs.
I think they form because people don't feel like they are part of the broader society. I also think that the average gang member, if born thousands of years ago would have been part of the warrior class, I think most cops would have been the leaders of this warrior class and everyone else would have been traders, farmers e.t.c

I guess what i'm looking for here is opinions and insight as we don't really have gangs that exist for any reason other then for organised crime in Australia and the concept of 'shaking down' your neighbours when they are just as 'left out' as you (gang members) baffles me.

How about threatened by it?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Gangs exist for many reasons, sometimes they started as a group of friends hanging out.

Usually they are taken control of by organized crime to use them to control certain areas of interest.

It's usually the weak that become a victim and your theory doesn't make sense as most cops are also weak and damaged mentally.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaztekno
Are you police?
2nd

if I was a cop I would already know and probably have a lot less sympathy for 'gang' members.
The answer is a resounding NO, I have never gotten along with the constabulary.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters

It's usually the weak that become a victim and your theory doesn't make sense as most cops are also weak and damaged mentally.

Well thats kinda the basis of my theory, Without a position of strength and authority these kinds of people act out, gang members lord it over people and bored cops harrass people.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

How about threatened by it?

What excatly do you mean?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
All the talk about brotherhood and comradery is bull. Gangs exist for one reason: to make money.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
i'm sure all the bloods & crypts are jumping over themselves to log onto ATS to respond to your querries! "hell no homeboy,i ant't gonna pop a cap in his ass yet,i gotta explain myself to this crocadile hunter"!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I kno gang members personally.

In my honest opinion, the, police, army, and so on, are just bigger "gangs" if you will. Look at the big picture, cant see the forest for the trees.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
all your questions answered here in this series

bikers, thugs , chinese mafia , all sorts of gangs and organized criminals in this series i've been watching

documentaryheaven.com...

bottom line ..

lure of easy money

power

a place to fit in .

( they love me unlike my family did) bs

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I seriously doubt the illiterate proto-human crack slinging mouth breathers out there have any idea the Internet exists.

Television is still a mystery to many of them.

Any answer pretending to be sincere will likely be from some "poser" suburban idiot who idolizes the "gangsta" lifestyle as he narrowly sees it.

Or from cops. The largest sanctioned gang in the country.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
all your questions answered here in this series

bikers, thugs , chinese mafia , all sorts of gangs and organized criminals in this series i've been watching

documentaryheaven.com...

bottom line ..

lure of easy money

power

a place to fit in .

( they love me unlike my family did) bs

I agree. I have family and other associates who are "bangers" , and it's sad, because the majority of the males I know, who are in their 30's and 40's, have been members since they were teens and STILL "bang". The females are more prone to "run away", (since of course you can only JOIN a gang) meaning starting a whole new life in another state.

It all makes sense though. That's how society's structured. Gangs are usually members of a subordinate group , and of course they want to have POWER and MONEY. To not be looked down upon. And the major gangs that started here in the U.S. (especially crypts), were to benefit the community. But of course things changed.

Usually to have some sort of POWER, at least in my eyes, involves coming up the negative way. I haven't seen many powerful positive people in the US...

My transitioning isn't too good
... in a rush, but wanted to reply.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
im not sure any of them can read...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Lol, google gangs in the army.. Yep. They know a bit more than you think.

Gang members are, your mailman, water man, trashman, tv actors, chefs at nice resturaunts, they are all around you my friend. Open your eyes a bit, the ones on the corner, slanging crack rock, shooting up playgrounds are usually little boys trying to act hard and are whats called "crash dummies".

Steriotypes are everywhere, and include all kinds of people. Including gang members.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

The warriors of "yesterday" and the street gangs or Police of today are a very completely different breed of man.

The Police and military are made up of narcissistic males & females whose upbringing was either tainted by a militant/strict upbringing or were subjected to taunting by passive-aggressive parents, older siblings or school bullies. Those from average middle and working soci-economic class with a reasonable education and a good all round upbringing usually turn out to be the best breed among the officers. Those well educated and from university don't last in the Police force longer than 5-10 years. Those who are first born usually are born with natural leadership qualities do well in the military rising quickly through the ranks. Almost all astronauts are first born children.

Street gangs & bikie gangs are usually made up of kids usually from broken homes who forge a common bond as a substitute for "family" and are street wise. Singled out individually and placed in the right environment, you usually find a good kid with plenty of ambition and potential for the trades sector or military. Most are first born or middle child.

edit on 21-9-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

The first thing a gang does is to make the people who live "on their turf" afraid of them. There are various ways of doing this up to and including murder. There is nothing "noble" about a gang and it is more of a "pack" mentality than a "warrior" mentality. The only thing that they understand is force, but, many times force is not allowed to be used.

Several years ago a "half-way house" was opened in the small town I live in. The idea behind this was to get "kids" away from the gang influence in a larger city about 30 miles away. This idea kind of backfired as the other "members" of the gang just came up to visit. After visiting for a while, the gang decided to expand it's "turf" to include my town. This resulted in a confrontation, where several of the 'gang" members spent substantial time in the hospital, upon which they decided to go back where they came from. The NAACP decided to get involved, but, changed their minds after finding out that a large percentage of the people who were involved against the gang were Blacks who moved to get their families away from these gangs. The "half-way" house had to close several months later after structural defects were found and the group running it didn't have the resources for repairs. (no local contractor would take the job)

If you had ever had actual contact with a "real" gang, I'm sure that your opinion would change.

new topics

top topics

join