It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are my dreams teasing me? How can I access their info?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
BAsically I would like to be a succesful musician, im working really hard at it and have been for a few years. But atm I feel like im just at an 'ok' level, but I KNOW deep down that I can do it im just finding it hard to get that inspiration out of me.

BUT The amount of times I have dreamed about things that could help me is ridiculous! I h ave dreamed about countless songs, 1 of them I can even remember listening to this song (in my dream) and I can remember the feelinsg I felt when listening to it and remember thinking to myself 'why couldnt I have made this?' Shortly after that I woke up and realised that song hadnt been made but could I hell remember the song anymore

And just today I dreamed I was crying out for help and this guru guy appeared with an envelope with the words 'how to succeed' written on it (no word of a lie lol). So just as im reaching out for this envelope, my dog starts barking and wakes me up

It feels like my subconscious is literally putting things on a plate for me in these dreams, but I always just miss it! Please help, how can I start taking notice of these things and bring them to reality

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

Visual guided meditation always works for me.....It's a good way to get in touch with your subconscious. It can easily reach a sort of lucid dream state if you do it right (at least it's easy for me to do....and I'm not the type that does it all that often...Usually only when I need some insight as you seem to)

I've always realized that my subconscious seems to have a better handle on things than my regular everyday conscious mind...and though I generally am skeptical of most things, I have to admit it has always worked for me, and has yet to lead me astray.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It sounds to me that you are putting too much pressure on yourself and your subconscious is acting that out threw your dreams.
A teacher I had once told me that if you relax and let yourself be yourself, the inspiration will come. Meaning, stop trying so hard and chill out. It worked for me. Instead of obsessing over my piano and making a hit song, I stopped playing for awhile and started new hobbies. Once I did that, there is was...All the inspiration I needed and it came from something else entirely.

To me, a pressured musician is not a talented musician.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I really cant get the hang of this meditation business though, and whats visual guided meditation? Id love to be able to drop into a lucid dream at will!

And im trying right now, ive took a step back and going for the patient thinking mans approach trying to let my subconscious have time to work and float some suggestions to me. And like I said, it is doing exactly that but I just cant seem to access them properly!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hi, beard.

The "frustrated revelation" is a common dream motif. One of the most famous instances of it was dreamt by the film director Alfred Hitchcock.

Somebody told him that his unconscious could be a great source of inspirartion, if he could remember his dreams. So, he put a pencil and paper on the nightstand beside his bed. Sure enough, a short time later he wakes up in the middle of the night with the greatest story idea ever. He scribbles it on the paper, and falls back asleep.

When he wakes up the next morning, he remembers the dream, but has forgotten the story idea. He turns to the paper in anticipation. And there he reads

Boy meets girl.

Is that the unconscious jerking Hitchcock around?

Maybe. And yet, Hitchcock made hugely successful psychological movies, mostly "suspense," that is, manipulating his audiences' heads in real time.

So, I think Hitchcock's unconscious delivered. It was already delivering, in fact, before the dream, but delivery occurred when he was wide awake, not when he was dreaming.

Maybe the message was that his unconscious works best on conscious concerns when consciousness is there to work with it. Maybe dreamtime is best spent on other things, which aren't conscious concerns (and maybe should be).

Food for thought. Freud (unconsciously) borrowed "word association" from an essay he read when he was an adolescent,

www.people.fas.harvard.edu...

It's not that long, but the last paragraph is the money part:

"And now, here is the practical application I promised you: Take a stack of paper and write. Write everything that goes through your mind for three consecutive days with neither hesitation nor hypocrisy. Write down what you think of yourself, what you think of your wife, what you think of the war with the Turks, what you think of Goethe, of Fonk’s trial, of the Last Judgment, of your superiors. At the end of the three days you will scarce be able to believe what new, unheard-of thoughts have come to you. And that, my friends, is how to become an original writer in just three days!"

If you're a musician, then I'll bet music has the "association structure" for you that language has for a writer. So, my guess would be to adapt that advice to your context, and see what comes out.

No guarantees, but that's a way that has worked for others for a long time who wanted to tap unconscious creative juice in service of a consciously adopted goal. Good luck with it.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Thanks, thats quite interesting! Gonna have a good read of it, I have heard of that uncritical writing before. Maybe this will go into more detail.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You could improve your dream recall by dream journalling regularly. If you mastered dream recall then you would probably be able to remember the songs and ideas in detail. Or do what I do. Remember one or two key lines from the poem (in my case) and just try to get the idea or style out when you wake, even if you don't remember the exact words or rythym. So get up and just start writing basically, and if you can't remember it perfectly then just try to get the main idea out. Remembering the one or two most important lines seems to be relatively easy because that's just how lyrics and poetry are, people always remember the chorus of a song but have no clue what the rest of the song is about, unless they really make an effort. No reason for it to be different in dreams, unless you change that for yourself. I personally hate not knowing the lyrics of a song I like, I'm not the type who only knows the chorus of a song like most people do.

new topics

top topics

join