It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worth a quick peek?

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Hi all, as is usual I found myself flitting about online today touching upon this and that when I stumbled upon something I thought may be of interest to some here. The piece itself became a secondary consideration though when I thought of all the other little tidbits which may also have held some interest. Amongst the material there were numerous offerings which, I thought, offered opportunity for deeply considered threads to be authored asking questions for which (as far as I saw) there was no simple yes/no right/wrong answer.

Today though I thought of another angle. I'm sure there are many of you whom, as I did, stumble across articles/topics offered in whatever fashion (video, radio, text) that peak your interest and you think may do the same for others here on ATS but for whatever reason the idea of offering up a dedicated thread doesn't bite, at least not initially.

Here then is a thread for that which you believe is worth a quick peek, perhaps the topic may blossom and suggest a dedicated thread (authored by anyone who deems it worthy) but in the meantime here is a place you can offer up any little Philosophical/Metaphysical flavoured delights as a light lunch rather than the first course of a sit-down meal. (Please include a little commentary though, even a light lunch warrants seasoning on the table.)

I'll start by offering this brief, half-hour radio programme in which various contributors offer insights and perspectives on attitudes and behaviour which give society the opportunity to function as it does today:

Analysis - Non-Riotous Behaviour

This summer's riots provoked much speculation about the factors which prompted so many people to break the law. But philosopher-turned-commentator Jamie Whyte is more interested in understanding why this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. Is it fear of arrest or is it morality that makes most of the people abide by the law for most of the time? In search of the causes of mass civil obedience, Jamie Whyte speaks to leading experts in the fields of philosophy, psychology and anthropology.

Contributors include: Roger Scruton, philosopher and writer Quentin Skinner, professor of the humanities & expert on modern political thought Tim Harford, the Financial Times Undercover Economist and presenter of More or Less on Radio 4 George Klosko, political philosopher Alex Bentley, anthropologist Carol Hedderman, criminologist

I don't fully agree with everything you might here in the presentation, nor am I trying to forward a particular argument, I just thought it raised a few interesting points worthy of consideration. I hope you find it of interest and I hope you'll feel welcome to offer a little taster of something that you think is worth a quick peek.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Very interesting. This says pretty much the same thing.
www.youtube.com...

join