It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Have I been hacked, strange error message appears on my web browser!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
In all my years of using and building PC's and fixing, the best AV i've found is NOD32, makes the others look kinda slow and power hungry

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FFS4000

Is it free?

eta: Nevermind, just googled it and saw the cost. Can't afford anything at the moment but I will bare it in mind for the future, thanks for the advice.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by Kryties

Do you have to pay for the CCleaner Registry cleaner?

Ccleaner is free.

Ccleaner Download

Btw, this is a very strange thing that's happened to your computer...Weird thing for it to be linked to the other thread/website everybody is talkin' about..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

Do you have to pay for the CCleaner Registry cleaner?

Nah mate it's free - you can pay to have tech support but it's not needed.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Here's a direct link to the free download of CCleaner....

www.piriform.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Ikr, very strange timing. Probably just a coincidence.

Glad CCleaner is free, I have been after a free registry cleaner for years. I will download it now.

Spybot didn't even work, at all... All functions are dead, nothing happens when I click on SCAN etc. Weird...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

OK mate, thanks very much.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

reply to post by FFS4000

Is it free?

eta: Nevermind, just googled it and saw the cost. Can't afford anything at the moment but I will bare it in mind for the future, thanks for the advice.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

spybot and cccleaner are free.. as with many others..

for a good source you can go to download.com and download them all free and safely..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Spybot didn't even work, at all... All functions are dead, nothing happens when I click on SCAN etc. Weird...

Hmm weird. Maybe you just didn't notice it working? When you click scan it shows it's progress in the bar at the bottom of the window - oh and Spybot takes a while to complete depending on your PC speed. I've had it take upwards of an hour to complete.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Nah, it definitely wasn't doing anything. Ccleaner is working fine though so I am running that.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Dude you want Malwarebytes its free and awesome.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Make sure you run both the registry AND the file cleaner functions of CCleaner - two separate processes.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

Nah, it definitely wasn't doing anything.

You could try rebooting into Safe Mode and running Spybot. In fact that's the recommended way of running any antivirus/spyware program.

Either that or give Malwarebytes a try, I prefer Spybot though.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

reply to post by Kryties

Nah, it definitely wasn't doing anything.

You could try rebooting into Safe Mode and running Spybot. In fact that's the recommended way of running any antivirus/spyware program.

Either that or give Malwarebytes a try, I prefer Spybot though.

I agree. Spibot is brilliant. Reboot and try again. It does a lto of stuff at first run, so be patient with it.Let it do all it's innoculations (I think that is waht it called it, been ages since I installed it from scratch)

It is good. I Also downloaded the reg cleaner. Not tried it yet though, should do one day lol!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Ok, ran files and registry cleaner.

Have you ever heard of 'wickedsearchsystem.com'? That seems to be running with firefox yet I can't find it in my programme list or firefox plugins and extensions. In fact it is running with Internet Explorer too, what the hell is it? It keeps directing me to random web pages, completely unrelated to my search?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

that IS the hack/virus.

do what i said above and ignore registry cleaner adverts

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

edit on 21-9-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

Deleted my last post as it was wrong.

I think this is a malewar infectinon. If you google it there is only 1 site comming back with results. I guess if you do attempt to use their spftware you will be in real trouble.

I think this looks like the 2009 infection I saw before. I bet if you try to do a system rollback it will not work. That would fit the description too.

edit on 21-9-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Hi all.

I need some advice, I logged onto my PC just ten minutes ago. As usual I came straight onto ATS as I do most mornings to see the latest posts. As I looked through the threads I entered the Enigma-amginE thread. Then I checked the Enigma page and tried entering a few numbers in the text box at the bottom with no success.

BUT then, my browser froze up and I recieved an error message:

firefox.exe - System Error
The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded. The length and number of secrets is limited to satisfy United States State Department export restrictions.

What the hell does this mean? I live in the UK btw.

Then, I rebooted my pc and now I must re-activate windows within 3 days.

What the hell is going on?

I'm running on OSX Lion, using Safari as standard browser.
I've visited the website using the URL, both in Safari and Chrome: all seems ok, except when you inspect the source-code: while there's a FORM-element included, no visible form-elements are shown in both browsers.

Now upon clicking the link to the image that was included in the other tread, a weird thing happened: eventually my browser indicated that something tried to access the resources-folder of my browser-application, which obviously is blocked by the OS.

I assume you are running on the wintendo-OS?

The suggestions to do a system restore others made make sense, however first make sure your protection against malware is up-to-date (today's definitions) and scan the full system.
And maybe, buy a Mac? :-)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
yup sounds like you got a virus or something. i donwloaded fire fox not to long ago and after a month i reformated my computer because some virus was lurking that i couldnt get rid of. the virus even erased my saved files for doing a roleback. so no more fire fox for me.
here a good site for free and non free software and other links for info.
freebyte.com

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

Ok, ran files and registry cleaner.

Have you ever heard of 'wickedsearchsystem.com'? That seems to be running with firefox yet I can't find it in my programme list or firefox plugins and extensions. In fact it is running with Internet Explorer too, what the hell is it? It keeps directing me to random web pages, completely unrelated to my search?

Alias: wickedsearchsystem.com, wickedsearchsystem.com Search Redirect, wickedsearchsystem.com Virus, wickedsearchsystem.com Google Redirect

Description:

wickedsearchsystem.com search re-directions are a result of a dangerous ZeroAccess Rootkit infection. wickedsearchsystem.com search redirects can also be the result of a Google Search Redirection Virus infection. If your Google, Yahoo or Bing search results are being redirected to wickedsearchsystem.com, you can scan your computer with SpyNoMore to remove the infection.

Yep, you've got yourself a virus/spyware. Firstly, reboot into Safe Mode and run both your antivirus program and Spybot/Malwarebytes. Make sure you do it in SAFE MODE though otherwise they might not be able to clean it effectively and it could come back to reinfect you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join