It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What a great idea.... (guy builds his own Hobbit hole)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yes, this guy has been my 'home decorating' hero for the past couple of years. I have this house as my screen saver. It is inspiring, to say the least! Dreams for the near future. Just gotta love it, it is so beautiful and earthy and private and cozy.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
EPIC.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
where do they grow th mushrooms ? tobacco ?

what an inspiration. good for him. I am extremely impressed. I didn't see any mention of who owns the land, will they get kicked out ?

cheers again

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Beautiful isn't it.
It's definitely not the first of that type of house I've seen this guy made his own too. It's less hobbity on the outside, but inside he went to town. Apparently it's up for sale!
www.thehobbithouse.org.uk...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is awesome.

I want to build a hobbit hole and live in it.

Or a tree house.

Wouldn't the world be much more awesome if everyone lived in hobbit holes and tree houses?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Beautiful and enchanting! What a lovely little family! I am so impressed with all the work and imagination that went into this! WOW!!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I saw this guys website about 4 months ago and have been trying to find a couple of acres to have a go myself. All of the timber used was sourced locally or reclaimed. Straw bale construction has some of the highest ratings for stuff like insulation, fire proofing, sound proofing and many other incentives.

Regarding permission to build, I say fcuk em! if I want to build shelter for myself and my family, I won't be asking for anyones permission.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Well it's certainly beautiful, but I am really skeptical of his 3000 pound cost claim. Even assuming he sourced all the wood from the area, there are a lot of other non-local materials there- framed glass windows, straw bales, plaster, paint, wood pallets, etc. All that had to be transported to the site which also costs money. A lot of the materials may have been donated to him, but it would have been more useful to get a realistic cost report. I'm also skeptical of his claim that he had no previous experience, someone involved in that project knew what they were doing and if it wasn't him then perhaps it was his father-in-law. Looking at the wall section, it's pretty clear that there were sub-soil drainage considerations made that wouldn't occur to someone with no experience (I'm an architect and look for these things, and what I'm seeing actually looks pretty well thought out detail-wise).

Originally posted by shushu
There are strict building codes here in the US. I recently learned this when researching Cob houses.

It's quite possible to build a "Green" home that complies with codes. Earthship Biotecture is one of the more interesting efforts and their designs are fully code compliant. Local covenants and ordinances are another matter because they frequently deal with exterior design and materials and will not allow construction that doesn't look "traditional", but if you get outside of cities then typically you don't have to deal with that.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Actually my roommate and I are trying to get some land to build one in here in Washington. We plan to use earthbag building technique (great thermal properties for cooling and heating naturally), and have set our sites on a completely round door. We also plan to incorporate more earth covering and less plaster showing on the outside. I think it would be the perfect bugout structure, if done correctly. I see he has used the plaster to recover most of the heat from his stove-pipe. Another feature that we are intending to use.

Nice find OP S+F

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
A very impressive piece of work. But, some food for pessimistic thought; a nice little hellfire middle from a Predator drone would take that out and everyone inside. Shanties, and Hobbits holes make for easy targets to the infrared eye in the sky. The operations ongoing in the mildest are training runs and development grounds for these systems. TPTB know there's a culture of survivalist who are researching and constructing resource in remote areas to hide and/or resist from. This is what they want us to do. If things get bad you need to either keep on the move, or dig your hole deep enough to avoid detection.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I really love some of the ideas that come from the Survival threads. Very kewl house! Good find OP!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think i would rather use earth filled bags for the balistic protection they provide aswell as insulation.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

I love it!
It looks so coozy. :-)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

Something else that struck me as heroic was the fact his wife and child camped in the woods, while he was building the house. So I would have to say the entire family are just incredible, he is rumored to be building an entire village the same way & you can go lend a helping hand...

Hey man don't give me any ideas...Because I will, though I have never been to this place called Wales but according to the Google it is an place called Britain which is way across the pond.

And well have you ever even heard those people speak before, they speak a weird language which is hard to decipher called English, and these Welshmen even have there own language which is even weirder then English, I would be lost in such a crazy ass place. I even heard that they play a game called football, with get this.....your feet...now that is freaking crazzzyyy.

Besides I can barely afford to leave the basement, much less travel across the sea, and I got stuff to do here in the great ole US of A, and the only free time I have is used surfing the net and contemplating on stuff, and just dealing with the rat race. But if I lived near and they were doing things like that, I would go just to help and to see what the hell there doing, and learn me how to build some hobbit houses. Just for the funk of it.

And also to just take a picture of those houses with me in it. Though they do look kind of small, I have not looked at the dimensions of what the dude build, but if its a hobbit house. Well my 6 foot 230 something frame would bump into all kinds of things every-time I turned around.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

That is so awesome! I want to live in a sweet hobbit hole that is powered by solar panels!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
the solar panels alone cost alot more then 3 g
and if he buildt that thing alone in four months without exp well lol i hope he likes being bureid alive ,in other words no WAY
i like the idea though

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
yeah frodo rocks!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by roomfor2
Regarding permission to build, I say fcuk em! if I want to build shelter for myself and my family, I won't be asking for anyones permission.

Well then, pray you are well armed when the municipality pays a visit and comments upon the electrical/fire/building code violations with a bulldozer.

On a lighter note...hobbits aside...one might want to check out the home of "Father Goose", Bill Lishman:
www.williamlishman.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(add a few thousand more !'s)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
man that's sick hahaha....i totally want to do this but im so unhandy when it comes to working with anything...blah....maybe ill hire someone.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join