It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. builds 'secret' ring of drone bases in Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The United States is building a ring of secret drone bases in the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula as part of an aggressive campaign against al Qaeda affiliates in Somalia and Yemen, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday, citing U.S. officials.

Source: Rueters

I see a police state existing from our country in yet another country. All I can say is WOW...
Coming soon to a theater near you....
edit on 21-9-2011 by explorer14 because: emphasis

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by explorer14

Article states that we have already begun missions over Somalia. Guess its time for a little payback huh? Now we can loiter over any country we choose and threaten them with Hellfire (missiles) any time we please. Hey sarge wait a minute will ya, Ill bomb that wedding after I take a leak and get another cup of coffee. Well hurry up son, daylight is a wastin.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

The United States is building a ring of secret drone bases in the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula as part of an aggressive campaign against al Qaeda....
...so, first they (us, cia) create al Qaeda and now they fight them... very cleaver*** i do not pay tax, so i do not support those crimes.... world is in deep s**t...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

What aren't they doing and who aren't they killing. All thanks the the American taxpayer. Their insanity is becoming more apparent everyday. They can't even find fake excuses anymore. Everytime the American people don't like it TPTB start making threats. We have got to reign them in and get control of the situation before we are next.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
My first thought here would be that the U.S. is deploying drones to counter a threat which exists if AQ gets a hold on both shores (Somalia and Yemen). If one looks at a map, control of both basically closes or bottlenecks the safe approach to the Suez from the south across the Gulf of Aden.

Now whatever people may think about the original Bin Laden branch and "flagship franchise" of Al Qaeda, I think these other offshoots are real enough and definitely not pro-US in any form. I'd just note that the restriction of shipping into the Suez itself would have dramatic and very painful effects world wide, and almost immediately. The world cannot handle another shock like that would throw into things at this particular moment in time.

Perhaps this once, Wikileaks did some real damage on something that was in place, doing some real good in keeping shipping lanes open.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I'm so excited about this! Sarcasm alert.

Pinky: What do you want to do tonight, U.S.?

U.S.: I want to take over the world!!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I don't doubt there are some real concerns with certain elements in that region. AFIK, it's Islamic territory - again.

I also saw a mention of using drones to place a tracking material on targets - the Air Force is looking to have covert drones (mini's) to sneak up and 'mark' the target.

Air Force Seeks covert drones

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
how far can drones travel?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

... before we are next.

I'm almost 100% certain it is coming whether we 'reign' them in or not. In fact, I would suspect some are chomping at the bit for a piece of that pie.

Originally posted by intrptr

... Hey sarge wait a minute will ya, Ill bomb that wedding after I take a leak and get another cup of coffee. Well hurry up son, daylight is a wastin.

I can totally picture that. I would wager it's already happened though.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The article isn't entirely correct.

The drones to be operated in Somalia are meant primarily for anti-piracy operations. But they have recently been trying to find and eliminate the cell leaders organizing these pirates on land.

If they happen to find some Al Quaeda while they are there, it's a bonus. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

You might also like to know that everybody's favorite warlord, Erik Prince, is involved.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with "terrorists" in Somalia or Sudan.

This is all about dominating and controlling Africa for the Western cause. It's why we bombed Libya. We can't have any more of the cheap manufacturing base of Africa threatening to stop supporting our relatively luxorious lives

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
They have to make good on their promise to bring all the troops home somehow, all the delays on doing so were because of hiccups in the manufacture of drones, now that they have enough they can start to bring our troops and continue their dirty work behind our backs.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
American bases bother you, but apparently al-qaeda bases, training camps and pirate havens are just fine. Just who is brainwashed here? It's amazing how soviet era, hate-america training is still operative.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Islamic fundamentalists in the Islamic region of the world do not scare me; warmongering global empire hours from my location does. How does that make me brainwashed?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Just goes to show you how crazy the governments can get, at one point they might even start a nuke war that will kill everyone but them

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

The sooner the American military bankrupts the better. This is sad... Peeps should not be so complacent about human life...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This is absolutely disgusting.

I mean WTF. How is blowing up kids, and that's what they are, going to help protect me when my own government back home is so corrupt that many have lost faith in it?

This is the very reason why our defensive budget alone is more than the entire budgets of nations..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Was about to post a thread on what i'd found, which is somehwhat disturbing.

www.abc.net.au...

Last week The Washington Post reported the United States was building a ring of secret drone bases in the Horn of Africa and the Arabian peninsula as part of an aggressive campaign against Al Qaeda affiliates in the anarchic Somali state and crisis-hit Yemen.

edit on 26-9-2011 by JamesGC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
My first thought here would be that the U.S. is deploying drones to counter a threat which exists if AQ gets a hold on both shores (Somalia and Yemen). If one looks at a map, control of both basically closes or bottlenecks the safe approach to the Suez from the south across the Gulf of Aden.

Now whatever people may think about the original Bin Laden branch and "flagship franchise" of Al Qaeda, I think these other offshoots are real enough and definitely not pro-US in any form. I'd just note that the restriction of shipping into the Suez itself would have dramatic and very painful effects world wide, and almost immediately. The world cannot handle another shock like that would throw into things at this particular moment in time.

Perhaps this once, Wikileaks did some real damage on something that was in place, doing some real good in keeping shipping lanes open.

Common sense. Great post.
Too bad some people are too paranoid and full of it to actually see the bigger picture.
All they see is the small little confined world they've created for them selves.

top topics

join