It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House armed services committee : cuts to the military budget will force a military draft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Yeah... typical military industrial puppets...

Give us everything we want or else we'll draft your kids!

US lawmakers warns cuts may revive military draft

A key US lawmaker leading the fight against military spending cuts has warned that dramatic new reductions could force the United States to shift from an all-volunteer military and reinstate the draft.

House Armed Services Committee Buck McKeon, a Republican, told Fox News television on Monday that lawmakers "need to understand what it's going to mean to keep an all-volunteer force."

"Do we want to reinstitute the draft? Some of the cuts we're talking about would take over 200,000 out of end strength from our military," McKeon said in remarks also reported in the Washington Post on Tuesday.

Just TRY to do a draft... you think people are pissed now?
You ain't see nothing.

Not to mention, from a military viewpoint, it's total bunk. The US military is now a small, but highly trained and specialized army. But the only way to accomplish that is to have people that are trained for years so they become professionals... not ``let's draft soldiers and the boot camp will be enough`` type of army.

People are sick of war. So short of an invasion of the mainland US, the military industrial complex can suck it.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If you think about all theyn have been doing is handing out threats. If you don't bail us out the world will end. If you don't pay us carbon taxes the aliens will attack. If you cut our funding you will be drafted. On and on. Its time we start making threats and the difference is we should mean it.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I'm curious to know how a drafted force is cheaper than a volunteer force?

I agree with the OP in that this is fear mongering by the MI complex to get what they want $$$. However, I wouldn't count it out as impossible by any means.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
But the only way to accomplish that is to have people that are trained for years so they become professionals... not ``let's draft soldiers and the boot camp will be enough`` type of army.

Draft age Americans, for the most part, have already been trained for years. Virtual bootcamp. Millions of American kids come home from school everyday, jump on their playstation, and they play out these very scenarios.
edit on 20-9-2011 by METACOMET because: sp

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
quicklysomebodyteachthekidshowthegovernmenttreatsretiredvetsbeforeweallrushtowartogoshootsomebodyelseintheexactsamepositionasus

Good luck trying to get us youth to fight your war when we see how you treat your retired vets like sht...

link   
The Military Industrial Complex and the bankers that finance these imperialist wars have pissed away all of their capital. A draft at this point, or any point during this current climate will set the streets ablaze.

Maybe that is what's needed.

edit on 20-9-2011 by illuminatislave because: (no reason given)

link   
How interesting this should be mooted virtually on the same day as being gay is no longer an excuse to be kicked out of the US army; or I suppose in a draft situation ... it's a case of being kicked in!
edit on 21-9-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
I'm curious to know how a drafted force is cheaper than a volunteer force?

I agree with the OP in that this is fear mongering by the MI complex to get what they want $$$. However, I wouldn't count it out as impossible by any means.

They don't have to pay the draftees? My guess is that they're forced to fight, not payed to fight. Or maybe they just don't pay them as much as they would in a normal situation.

But Bush never enacted a tax increase to pay for the wars. I have to wonder if people in power have any idea what level of support there really is underneath all of the talking. What I'm saying is that support might go down if people actually have to pay for the war in an obvious way.

What would be nice to see is other countries picking up their pace if we reduce military spending. The US is the one that usualy does most of the work. Other allied nations should contribute more. If global security is important then it's in their self-interest to pitch in and help us out.

China is very close to Afghanistan (maybe sharing a border?). Why don't they help there?

If the other countries don't want the US bullying them, then they need to get involved.
edit on 21-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
How interesting this should be mooted virtually on the same day as being gay is no longer an excuse to be kicked out of the US army; or I suppose in a draft situation ... kicked in!

Yep. That was always the goal. Never because of ``tolerance``.

So that when they pull the next false-flag and call for a draft, people won't be able to get themselves out of it, unless they go to jail or wound themselves.

And if people choose to go to jail, the prison industry will be real happy.

You bet with the world economy going down, and this, they are preparing for something big.

link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is how stupid they think we all are. Someone tell this idiot that if they are CUTTING there is no need for a draft. Less military expenditures means less personal needed! They can start by bringing the troops home from 135 bases around the world.

Let someone attack America and Americans will flock to defend her. But these Corporate for profit wars they have sent our sons and daughters to fight around the world have left a bad taste in peoples mouths!

link   
That doesn't make any since at all!!
It doesn't cost less to train draftees than it does volunteers!

Shame on you war machine.

edit on 21-9-2011 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
alright not a fan or beliver of the "military industrial complex mythos"

simple fact nothing is made from beginning to end in this country and there is a huge difference between made in the usa and assembled in the usa.

fact is all those components are made elswhere in the world and assembled here.

as to the draft wont ever happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
empty threats are very amusing.

either they are complete idiots, or they are master geniuses who are 5 moves ahead of us and WANT this stupid comment to blow up in their faces.

hmmm...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Good point on the vet treatment and i also wonder about payment too. did they get paid when it happened the first time? adding one more ? to the many... who wants to fight for a country thats bullys not only the whole world, but the ppl of its nation as well?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
isn't there actually a surplus of recruits already? we have tons of reservists. why should they need to draft? and unless we're in full scale war, what purpose is there for a draft? weird stuff the military is spewing. cut the spending that pays the guy who said this crap.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I wasn't a fan of the term either until I learned where it came from.I bet you think that the Military Industrial Complex term was coined by some hippie peacenik Democrat. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

Eisenhower's Farewell Address to the Nation

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

i have a different take on that speech as in

america has a duty and a responsiblity to not repeat the past mistakes of disarming like after ww1

it has the obligation to make sure america had the power to defend itself and to make sure that power was never used recklessly and to make sure that we keep the means of production to ensure the ability to be able to defend ourselves.

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

but what do i know
edit on 21-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Fair enough, but I feel that the two fears he elucidated in that speech. MIC influence on decisions of governmentand dependence of innovation on .gov support have long since come to pass.
edit on 21-9-2011 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

as it stands right now the greatest threat to the us military is it own government

right now there are systems and weapon systems that are in this us inventory not made by americans

and that same government is sending them into battle making them put their lives on the line with stuff made in china made in europe.

from metals to computer chips and everything in between at a cost of trillions of dollars to us and risking their lives on people who have no dog in that hunt.

thats what happens when people scream budget cuts and yes make no mistake i do believe that the defense industry is in dire need of reformation but not to the point where its not longer combat effective.

people die when the government cheaps out i think thats wrong and i also think that was a part of that speech

the government and its people have a moral obligation to those men and women who are put in harms way and their usage must truly be just when all other avenues have been exhausted.

looking up outsourcing of the american military covers alot of material and another reason why "contractors" have are being used and will continue to be used and used more so.

people disgree with my viewpoint they are free to like i said different take

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
They'd save a lot more money by cutting the half trillion+ they dump into black projects annually.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

america has a duty and a responsiblity to not repeat the past mistakes of disarming like after ww1

I don't think anyone is talking about disarming. We spend nearly a trillion a year on the military budget ( and that is just what we know about for sure) We could cut the military budget almost in half just by bringing troops home from bases around the world where they do not need to be. The other half is the Iraq and Afghan wars. The point is we need to mind our own business walk softly and carry a big stick.

We are much more vulnerable spreading our troops so thin and wasting are energy strenght and men and women on needless wars. Pulling back to our own shores and minding our business unless there is a real threat makes us stronger it does not mean we ignore potential threats or don't keep on eye on potential enemies
edit on 21-9-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join