It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lianne from MOW: Where in the hell is Rode Island?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
To those of you who are frequent readers on ATS, you know that I'm not one to comment about or criticize a poster's spelling mistakes, but I'm going to rant about a blogger's ridiculous and brainless spelling errors right now!

I was just on the website Michelle Obama Watch to see if they had a September schedule stating whether or not the FLOTUS was going to be in Denver with Barry. I was totally disgusted when I read the following article written by a blogger who goes by the name Lianne:
www.michelleobamawatch.com...

This spelling error made me see red:

Besides visiting Oregon, the First lady is all already booking her calendar with fundraising stops next month including a new stop to Rode Island that was announced today.

Rode Island?
Are you serious, Lianne? Where exactly is Rode Island? Do you know how to read your work before posting? Where did you go to school?
All already?
Did you graduate from elementary school?

By the way, Lianne, where does one go to board an airplane?

Earlier this week she traveled to Oregon to visit her brother. All eyes were watching to catch a sneak peek of the First Lady. Some even waited up to seven hours to catch a glimpse of her at the air port.

At the airport!

Also, Lianne, the term 'First Lady' is always treated as a proper noun just like 'White House'.
Would it ever be appropriate to write White house or white house?
I'll give you a hint: Only if you're saying that your neighbor lives in a white house is it O.K. to write the word with lower case letters. Plus, I don't believe the First Lady would be flattered to see her title printed as 'First lady' or 'first lady'.

Also, what exactly is a wip?

I mean, come on! Michelle Obama Watch is a website that should be keeping higher standards. If the First Lady was endorsing education and reading, this article would be a prime example of why America and the English language have been taking a nose dive.

I get angry when I see news articles with spelling and grammatical errors, too. In the past decade, it seems as though editors and writers are asleep at the wheel. I've always had a deep respect for words and language. I'm afraid that we've reached the point of no return. When a blogger is writing an article that the FLOTUS herself will probably read and can't even check her work and correct her errors, a tear comes to my eye.

Lianne, you should be ashamed of yourself! I don't believe I've ever seen so many spelling and grammatical errors in such a short article. I've also never seen Rhode Island spelled wrong, but thanks for adding an 'e' to the end of Maine.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

the sad/beauty part of cheap easy internet is anyone may proclaim themselves a journalist. the sad side is you'll encounter an abundance of poorly written meanderings. the beauty part is many get to enjoy news and POV's unavailable just a few years ago. on the big online picture, regardless of topic, one has to swim through a sea of garbage to find the gem in the rough.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

I agree that spelling and grammatical errors don't take away from the message being communicated, but where is the respect for your own written work and doing a good job for your audience? The website the article's on is not an obscure forum. It's strictly about Michelle Obama and a dedication to who she is and her accomplishments. Considering the website and who is going to be reading the articles, it should be out of respect that the author has the pride and patience to proofread their work.

ATS is a relaxed environment (most of the time). I see it as a place to speak about your ideas and forget about simple writing errors. We should only care about proper links and sources when someone is trying to prove a point and/or idea on this site. I would never correct someone's spelling and grammar on here. But a website dedicated to the President's wife? Yeah, the author should be responsible enough to present herself as an educated and detail-oriented writer. Not a stupid American who can't even spell one of the first thirteen colonies correctly.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
This person might have dyslexia.. A medical condition.

Also they may not have been fortunate like yourself and received a proper education..

There could be many reasons.. It's not nice to attack and critisize someone for such a trivial reason.
I mean how does this affect yours or anyone else lives? What has it even got to do with you? If you don't like it, don't read it...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Maybe there was some psycho killer rapist kicking in her front door so she had to hurry and get the schedule posted before he got her. In a hurry and under that kind of stress it's easy to see how she could have a few typo's.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

First, there is a reason why ATS does not allow blogs to be used a sole sources.
Second, it's a blog.
Third, quite detailed for a rant. I am nervously double checking my spelling.
Fourth, you could write a 57 novel series on this...yeah?
What is the point again?

CJ

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Maybe I am being too mean. Nah!

Written languages are an art form. The English language is as difficult to learn and understand as Mandarin.

There used to be a time when reading and writing were only taught to the aristocracy and poor people had to suffer. Now that everyone has equal opportunity to learn these skills, they're tossed away or disrespected.

I stated that I have never criticized anyone on ATS for their spelling and grammar -- and I am being completely honest. ATS is a discussion forum, not a place to come and read articles written by members. We come here to discuss our ideas in a casual manner. If my rant made you question your own spelling and grammar, this was not my intention and you're being overly sensitive. I explained that I'm not critical of ATS posts and I meant it.

This rant is solely based on blogs and articles only. A blog is the same as an editorial piece you would read in the newspaper. I don't watch the news, I read it. Every time I see a mistake in an article, I think back to the newspapers of long ago. A person was hard pressed to find a spelling or grammatical error within the articles. I read the news online today and see tons of mistakes. When I purchase a newspaper, I expect quality and nothing less. When one googles 'Michell Obama', Michelle Obama Watch is the fourth website to appear in the list. This is a website that should have higher standards and their bloggers should be more detail-oriented and precise with what they're presenting.

I'm beginning to understand why immigrants don't want to learn English. Why should they have any respect for it if America's citizens don't? If I moved to another country and what I read was full of mistakes, how am I suppose to learn it properly? It would be very confusing.

I have great pride in what I write. I actually write children's books on the side. When I submit a chapter for review, it is expected to be free of errors and I make sure it doesn't have any. I proofread my own work and use spell check. I make mistakes on my ATS posts, but this is a casual atmosphere and should be treated as such. If I were writing blogs for a website, I would read what I wrote prior to sending it in for publication. It's only the professional and responsible thing to do. I used to be a reading teacher and I've worked with kids who suffered with dyslexia. The mistakes you see in the blog/article I've referenced are due to laziness and not because the writer has a reading or learning disability. Any adult with dyslexia should know to use tools such as spell check if they enjoy writing. Spell check is a wonderful invention designed to help us. Even the best of us use it wisely and are not embarrassed to admit that we run our writing through the program. I would bet my bottom dollar that the author of the piece I've referenced didn't even give their article a once over before submitting it.

To be fair, I'm not very good with numbers. In fact, I suck at using numbers and math. I'm also not great at working with measurements and angles. If I built a birdhouse and it ended up being all crooked and malformed, I wouldn't expect anyone to appreciate my work. I would take one look at it and know that I wasn't careful and should have worked harder at measuring the wood and where I placed the nails. If I was smart, my next birdhouse would be created with care and accuracy. Everything we create and present should be something we are proud of. If a creation looks as though it was done in a rush, then it most likely was. Such creations should not be held in the same light as a creation presented by someone who took the time, care, and patience to polish their project and remove the errors.

If I've offended anyone, this was not my intention. I just want to see better writing. I want to see my native language respected as it used to be. It's now an example of laziness and impatience. Maybe technology has done this to us? Now we're in such a rush that our writing skills are going the way of our morals and self-respect. In my opinion, the more we allow the written language to decline, the more we're allowing ourselves to decline. Our writing and language skills truly prove that humans are devolving instead of evolving. Written communication is so very important and should be given more care and consideration. I'm sorry that more people can't see how much it's declined and feel the need to defend this atrocity by making excuses and attacking the people who want to see things change for the better.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

top topics

join