It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseballs Used For Troop Tribute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

WHITMAN, Mass. - The baseballs are lined up neatly, row after row, each in its own glass cubbyhole.

At first glance, the display at Whitman Town Park looks like a trophy case, but a closer look reveals a more somber tribute: "Sgt. Michael L. Tosto, 6-17-03," "Pfc. Jason C. Ludlam, 3-19-04," "Sgt. Darrin K. Potter, 9-29-03."

A memorial to the soldiers killed in the war in Iraq, the display is housed in a simple glass case 16 feet long and 6 feet high and stands just off the field of play on a ballfield in this suburb about 25 miles south of Boston.

Little League coaches here started their tribute in April by dedicating every game to a fallen soldier. But as the casualties in Iraq multiplied, they realized the current crop of Little Leaguers would be well into high school before they completed their tribute.

Chris Johnson, president of the Whitman Baseball and Softball Association, thought of writing each name on a baseball and displaying them in a glass case.

As word spread, people near and far began offering help. Rawlings Sporting Goods donated hundreds of baseballs, volunteers offered to help build the display case and townspeople planted shrubs around the memorial.

www.military.com...

This baseball 'wall' really brings home the sacrifice these families have made and will continue to make.

We get the News Hour with Jim Lehrer in Australia. At the end they have a tribute to soldiers KIA, it's the only time when I personally realise the tragedy of these young mens' deaths; men(boys?) who are younger than me. Even though I'm not American, these daily 60s tributes stir up emotions in me I'm not used to having. It's all terribly sad, but the job is being done, I'm just lucky I haven't been personally affected by it yet.

SMR

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thats awesome really.
Baseball is seen as the Americas past time.
Good thing they are doing.Some may see it as stupid or ask why they dont do something else instead of putting up baseballs,but atleast they are doing more than most

new topics

join