It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RED STORM - World's fastest computer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I wonder how the computer is kept cool, since the faster a computer gets the hotter its cpu gets. It probally has a liquid cooler.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Most Super Computer systems are held in airco'd rooms and the cabinets are designed for good airflow.

Some systems have per CPU or per cabinet airco, water or phase change cooling, but seeing a decent airco system can do the job pritty nicely if the cabinets are well designed, most systems are kept at that.

And CPU's don't get all that much hotter then before.

With smaller designs and new materials, power conversion to heat is greatly reduced.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
If IBM started selling processors to the public I would buy one as soon as I can also for the "visuals beig inside"I belive there is no graphical display and all numbers, maps and key information on the simulatiions would be printed

I wonder if a super computer needs a super printer?
I sure do!!!
also this would greatly improve the speed of the internet if it was fitted into the network as a key server

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Comrade Smith]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Comrade Smith

I wonder if a super computer needs a super printer?

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Comrade Smith]

there was an impact printer which could print out 450 pages a minute and that's old technology.

A5H

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oh dear is it going to be using windows.......?

Anyone know what one of them terra-ma-flop-jiggys are in GHz please?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Red Storm just beat out Japans NEC's Earth Simulator which runs at 40 teraflops. Red storm is .5 teraflops faster.

Also IBM has plans for this thing

"IBM's ongoing Blue Gene supercomputer experiment, where the company has been researching the techniques behind building a supercomputer that could handle a petaflop � or a quadrillion calculations � per second. ''

a petaflop

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
At its primary stage it'll only just top the 2002 built Earth Simulator of Japan thats rated at 35/41TFlops.

The machine you are talking about is the NEC SX-5/6. One heck of a machine...they used to be based in Houston, TX - but they may have been relocated to NEC America's HQ in Dallas, TX.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Thats what i would like to know. How would this super computer compare to our computers sitting on our desk...like how many thousands or millions of GHz is this super computer. You can say 100 trillion flop-tera-whatever but i dont have a clue how that relates to GHz. Anyone?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by A5H
Oh dear is it going to be using windows.......?

I dont think you can outright compare GHZ to Teraflops. a Pentium IV 3.2 Ghz:= 59 Gigaflops. 59 Billion Floating-point Operations Per Second

This super computer is running at 41.5 Teraflops so it would be 41.5 trillion Floating-point Operations Per Second

I suck at math so maybe something like 600GHz for the super computer

[edit on 26-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I'm not totally sure but I think they said one hundred 2.5ghz p4 processors are equal to 1 or 2 teraflops.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join