It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gears of War 3: Review Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hello Everyone I just purchased Gears of War 3 today and although I haven't got to play it yet I was still wanting to get the thoughts of those that have..

I'm super excited and will be posting my own review on this thread later.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The best of the three. You can see the difference in quality of presentation.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
mine only arrives on friday, im really excited for that day

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
nice i plan on picking it up quite soon

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
We picked it up at midnight last night (preordered at Gamestop & still got the last copy they had at about 12:20).
I haven't gotten behind the sticks yet, but watched both of my son's playiing and it looks AMAZING!!! My boy's Reign, (age 7) and Zilla (age9) have been chompin' at the bits for this game, and both have said it is the best game ever. Trust me when I say that they know games... Despite their age I have watched them embarrass many a cellar dwelling, pale skinned, gigantic and super-strong thumb having adult on pretty much any game ever released. The littlest one pulls off every single "Fatality, Babality, etc." ever put in a Mortal Kombat game & the oldest beat the Campaign on Black Op's in just a few short hours...

I trust their review and have no doubt that we will not be disappointed.

Best of luck demolishing the Hive!
edit on 20-9-2011 by wastedown because: poor spelling (should have gotten the boy's to write this...they spell better than me also)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
AHHHHRGH, u guys are such teasers, only 2 days left till arrival, maybe we could all play online some day

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I played it last night and got through the first chapter in the campaign.. Here are my thoughts (no spoilers).

So far it is EPIC!! The graphics are pristine and it has much smoother game play than either of it's predecessors. The story so far seems solid and it definitely throws you for a loop right off the bat. The new enemies are insanity and they will make you yell "wtf is that!!!" quite a few times...

Impaling locusts with a bayonet seems to never get old nor does the good old fashioned chain saw.

So far... best 60 bucks I ever spent..

I give GOW3 a 10/10

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It's no doubt a solid offering. One of the best of the year. However, the best thing about it is the Horde 2.0. and Beast modes.

Competetive online is still just a shotgun fest, and the campaign was pretty weak. Campaign wise it had its good points but Gears 2's campaign was superior for me. Mainly the campaigns difficulty was too easy (I played on hardcore first run through.) except for a few points where the difficulty spiked. Didn't happen in the previous campaigns save till the end, which felt like a natural difficulty curve.

What I'm trying to say is the campaign didn't impress me much at all. I did however thoroughly enjoy the retro lancer.

It's my new favourite weapon. The sawed off shotgun is absolutely useless unless you are standing right next to your target.

The character development in the campaign was good though, and the story was a little better this time. You feel like you're pushing toward something.

Overall I'd give it an 8.8 out of 10.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by baraka

Add me if you like, you could join me in some horde action! My gamer tag is "Bone Mosaic". Without the quotes and with the space.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Wasn't a big Gears fan for years but I pre-ordered this monday, got it in the mail wednesday morning and have to say, online was cool and the campaign.....nicely done.

I liked the use of the Gary Jules cover of "Mad World" in one cutscene to have a gentle nod at the use of it for the first game's ad campaign.

Online is gonna keep me occupied until Batman: Arkham City, that's for sure, especially the medals to collect.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Just got through the first chapter and joined a few online games, its a pretty solid game. I think itll keep the GOW fans occupied for some time...but I still see the Black Oppers ejecting the disc within the hour to get their fix

edit on 22-9-2011 by Genophage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

So whats the verdict op?

Gears of War 3 is one of about 4 games on the x-box 360 that I would want to play. And I am contemplating getting a new 360 just for GOW 3 and those few other games. I liked the first 2 gears games even with all there flaws that they had, and I am getting bored out of my mind waiting for some other games to come out on the PS3 that i am seriously thinking of putting up the $$ for a new x-box. Even though I swore I wont give Microsoft any more of my money after my other x-box broke years ago, thought I got to admit it did give me hours and hours of fun, before it broke down completely on me.

So whats the verdict op?

Is it all that it's cracked up to be, or just gears 2.01.

Have they fixed the issues they had in the first and second, such as the crazy ass host advantage that the players sometimes get, or all the glitches and tricks that were in the first 2 games? I really want to know what people think of it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
well i gotta say gears rules got it at midnight release day was 1st in line stood for 5 hours but was worth it had the campain done on hardcore by 9am lol[had a break to try out online] the only thing is i cant stand the sawn-off noobs in team death match had a team msg my clan after a match gloating that they won so challanged them to a gnasher only match and we wiped the floor wit em it just proved sawn off is a noobs choice. srry started ranting then lol well my gt is THE FAT ONE BHK (if that doesnt work take the space away inbetween one n bhk]

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Haven't noticed anyone using glitches myself but glitches and cheats are used on every game with online play.

Lot of people complained about the use of sawn off shotgun usage but hey, I've never used one myself and apparently they only work up close to someone anyway for a one shot kill otherwise they're pretty useless in a competitive game.

Am I the only one who's failing at Beast Mode? I barely scraped by Wave 1 on Casual for the first time a few days ago, got up to Wave 3 and died.

Stuck on the Formers on Act 3 on Insane difficulty in 4 player co-op, anyone got tips?

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Haven't noticed anyone using glitches myself but glitches and cheats are used on every game with online play.

Previous 2 games there were lots of them, in some of them you could glitch out the level, and if you had a sniper you could just pick people off from out the level, i think there was one in gears 2, were you could glitch up to a tower in a level and just pick people off from there and they cant get you. Not to mention all the little tricks you could do with the shotgun or some of the other guns.

Am I the only one who's failing at Beast Mode? I barely scraped by Wave 1 on Casual for the first time a few days ago, got up to Wave 3 and died. Stuck on the Formers on Act 3 on Insane difficulty in 4 player co-op, anyone got tips?

Ya here is some tips....shoot the # out of everything.

Man I don't have an x box, but I remember beast mode it was a fun mode, and games copied and followed suit with different versions of that concept, after gears introduced it. Beast mode is pretty easy though from what I remember in playing the second game, all you really need is a team that don't suck, and then communication is the key, just like in regular team deathmatch modes.

Dont know if they made it harder but in the second gears the beast mode was not all that hard to beat even on insane difficulty. And the story mode was really not that hard to beat, especially with a team and not the bots the computer gives you.

Really from what i remember gears was one of those games were if your team is good and knows what to do and the details of the levels, you could literally wipe the floor with any team that is not as good as your team. And when it was evenly matched then it got really interesting and competitive.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Ive been playing since it came out a lot and have played the first 2 a lot as well...I can safely say there are no host advantages at all, and I have yet to see a glitch of any kind....NOW, on to the other stuff....This is not a shotgun fest anymore IMO...The rifles are king in this game, but people still use shottys a lot. The sawd off is annoying but so is getting one shot downed by the gnasher...I use the sawd off, but it goes with my style of play, I run in there shoot, then GTFO because it takes like 3 seconds to reload that sucker...People in multiplayer are way too good now and its no fun getting matched up with people twice my levels every game...at first I was getting put in similar rank matches but lately I seem to get people that are level 60-85 and its nonsense...they are TOO good and its no fun when you have to play these no life havin little kids lol...but all in all, its a good game and worth $60 for sure!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You may be thinking of Horde Mode.

Beast Mode was only introduced in GOW3, same as Horde but you play as the Locust and have to kill waves of humans and COG.

I got a tip for that level earlier, apparently using a Sawn Off Shotgun, never thought of that, might try it since we tried with the Vulcan, Hammerburst and Lancer (regular and Retro versions) and still died.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I am SO thrilled 4player co-op was added.

Anyway, been slowly making my way through Gears3 and well... if you love the prior games this is a no-brainer.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have successfully beaten the campaign (with one of my Xbox live buddies) on hardcore.. We are now going through it on insane in "Arcade Mode"....

First I will say the Campaign was epic!!! The end boss fight is the most extreme fight yet in any of the series... and the game will always keep you on your toes throughout the duration..

Insane is something of a new creature all together (You will die... a lot.. and I mean a lot).. It used to be it was easier to get knocked down, bullets did less damage and you found far less ammo throughout the game...

In GOW3 instead they went a slightly different route. You don't get knocked down.. you just die... There is no picking you up because you are already dead. The AI become insane marksmen and it seems like and their bullets do far more damage.. Killing them and ammo finds are comparable to hardcore but you really cannot be aggressive at all.. Insane difficulty requires a whole new level of team work in GOW3. When they say it's for elite COG only... they mean it.

I have to say Insane difficulty makes GOW3 the hardest game I've ever played (and that includes GRAW)

As for the multiplayer.. Well the Verses mode has far better maps and is far more balanced as far as weapons are concerned. (It's no longer one sided as soon as a special weapon is picked up).

Horde mode is a ton harder than it's predecessors and beast is really fun stuff.
edit on 5-10-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join