It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist and Agnostic...Please read this Thread !!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
To all of my Atheist and Agnostic friends...

Please take this into consideration when arguing your points.

I want to start out by saying "I get it".

I was an Atheist for thirty years.

Nobody made an argument against religion stronger than mine.

I found myself starting to change some peoples minds.

That responsibility weighed heavy on me. What if I'm wrong?

What if the Bible isn't just a good story?

I then began to preface my remarks with...

"These are my beliefs, I'm not trying to change anybody's mind".

I did not want the responsibility of possibly changing somebody's religious beliefs.

Then It Happened...I had a life changing experience.

It doesn't matter what my moment of clarity was...If you ever have one, It's life changing.

Now that I found the Lord. I began to read everything. I soon became horrified.

I started to remember all the things I had said. All the people I had talked to.

In my life I have learned that words matter. I should of chosen my words more carefully.

Now to my main points...

You can make a valid and coherent argument without personally attacking Jesus or God.

Let's be totally honest...Nobody knows for sure what waits for us in death.

I do not belong to a religion. I have a relationship.

I worry everyday about the things I used to say.

I just want to let you know...People change. You may change.

Choose your words carefully. Don't find yourself in my shoes.

You can not even imagine the regret I live with.

Just some friendly advice...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I am an Atheist.
I do not believe there are any God(s) or Omnipotent Presence.

I does not preach for my beliefs.
I also get upset when people try to push their beliefs on to someone.

Coexist!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
very well put, and what you said can mirror for the religious people also, if they are not willing to say maybe i am wrong, then how the hell can they get pissed off at others who wont accept their ways..........ATTENTION EVERYONE, you are stupid, we are all stupid, we make reality out of what we see, some people see more, some less, it doesnt matter, how many of you give # to kids for believing in santa the tooth fairy, easter bunny.....you dont know.......highly un-likely, but who can say what they believe in is NOT highly un-likely, that why people have faith.......if you dont want people bitching about your faith dont bitch about theirs........come on people thats kindergarten level logic......(huffs) ok i'm done

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am agnostic.

I read what you said carefully and i think you just want to voice your guilt to those that might be on the edge or close to themselves. You say you didnt want to change any minds when you athiest, you are dangerously close to that now you are religous.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think religious beliefs should be like private parts; keep them to yourself unless somebody asks you share them. Whether you do or not after that is entirely up to you.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What if you are wrong? What if Islam is correct or any other religion is correct. Is that a chance you're willing to take? I bet it is.
I was raised Christian. My grandfather was a pastor. I have heard it it all. I have read read the bible cover to cover many times. I was always told "Faith comes hearing the word of the lord" Well, that never gave me faith, only questions. It is the bible that made me doubt. The bible its self that woke me up to to fallacy of christianity. I have heard your argument more times than I can count. I understand what you are doing, but I left christianity, because I saw how wrong it was. There is nothing anyone can do to prove to me it's correct.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

very well put, and what you said can mirror for the religious people also, if they are not willing to say maybe i am wrong, then how the hell can they get pissed off at others who wont accept their ways

You say you didnt want to change any minds when you athiest, you are dangerously close to that now you are religous.

The difference is, as christians, they are required to share their faith, and proselytize. As atheists, we are not.

OP. As one who spent nearly 30 years in the christian faith. Do yourself a favor. Let the God you believe in be your guide. Not the church. The leadership of the church, IMHO, is as corrupt as the governments of this world.

Just my two shillings.
edit on 9/20/2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
true atheists dont give a rats ass.
2nd line, same as the first
edit on 20-9-2011 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am agnostic.

I do not know if there is a god and neither does anyone else.

How can you argue with that?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I worry everyday about the things I used to say.

Don't beat yourself up, the prodigal son of Luke 15:11-32 is YOU!! It doesn't matter what you did while you were away, we celebrate your return!

For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
I am agnostic.

I read what you said carefully and i think you just want to voice your guilt to those that might be on the edge or close to themselves. You say you didnt want to change any minds when you athiest, you are dangerously close to that now you are religous.

That's not what he said, quite the opposite in fact:

Nobody made an argument against religion stronger than mine.

I found myself starting to change some peoples minds.

He feels that his words may have pushed people away from belief, and now that he found faith he's concerned about the damage he may have caused to others. But the fact is that if an atheist can talk someone out of their beliefs, then their faith was very weak to begin with. Jesus told a parable about those who build their faith like houses on sand, "The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." If someone's faith is like this, then it's going to crash whether it's the result of an atheist talking to them, or some other challenge to their faith (sick relative, lost job, etc.)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Are you not missing the very fact we are posting in a thread hes made since finding god?

"Beware what you say as a athiest if one day you see the *truth* as i have you will regret it" How is that not at poke at all agnostics and athiests, somthing he claimed to never do besides speak his thoughts.

Im talking about it now, im not out to change your beliefs, this thread wasnt made in the innocent way its been portrayed.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I am agnostic.

Guilt....Yes I can admit that.

Changing Minds....No, only the words we use.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Hey, Thanks for the kind words.

I knew some people would think I have an agenda.

No agenda...

Just trying to undo some of the damage.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Are you not missing the very fact we are posting in a thread hes made since finding god?

"Beware what you say as a athiest if one day you see the *truth* as i have you will regret it" How is that not at poke at all agnostics and athiests, somthing he claimed to never do besides speak his thoughts.

Im talking about it now, im not out to change your beliefs, this thread wasnt made in the innocent way its been portrayed.

"Lighten up Biigs"

Believe what you want my friend.

It's a semi-free country...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

as an atheist
i do not preach my beliefs until i get some religious nut gets in my face, so your whole argument is invalid pretty much because i don't know many atheists that do preach their beliefs simply because they hate the religious for doing it in the first place.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomSnake

Christian to atheist - I love you, and Jesus loves you (same thing).

Atheist's reply - well I HATE YOU for telling me that!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I am new to this and this is my first post. I have been a confirmed Atheist since the age of six. I have studied many different religions from all Abrahamic offshoots, to Buddhism, Confucianism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, etc. I have discovered that all religions have common aspects. The conclusion of these common aspects are one thing, the control of a few over the many, through the fear of what happens after death.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomSnake

I think you missed my point...

Thanks for your comment.

I am not trying to preach or convert anyone.

My point is...Words matter.

You can make your anti-religion arguments without insulting the Deity...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amatoremsapeientiae
I am new to this and this is my first post. I have been a confirmed Atheist since the age of six. I have studied many different religions from all Abrahamic offshoots, to Buddhism, Confucianism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, etc. I have discovered that all religions have common aspects. The conclusion of these common aspects are one thing, the control of a few over the many, through the fear of what happens after death.

Heh, I used to think EXACTLY the same way as you, when I was 14.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join