It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CTV Cancels Ad over Saudi Pressure

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

CTV Cancels Ad over Saudi Pressure

www.torontosun.com

OTTAWA - Efforts to silence an advertising campaign about Saudi Arabian oil before it re-airs in Canada have succeeded in keeping the ads off of CTV News Channel.

QMI Agency has acquired an e-mail that indicates the broadcaster cancelled a booking for an Ethicaloil.org ad campaign that presents Saudi Arabian oil as an 'unethical' energy choice...
The ads have raised the ire of the Saudi government because they equate buying Saudi oil with helping fund a kingdom that oppresses women
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ethicaloil.org
www.ethicaloil.org
www.youtube.com

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Unbelievable!
So an ad comes out pointing out the opressive and shady nature of Saudi Arabia and the rule of their royal family, and they hire (and succeed) at shutting our media up!
How can a country dictate what is broadcast in a different nation on the other side of the world?
If this isn't blatant evidence that the Mass Media is owned by foreign interest groups, I don't know what is...
F'n disgusting, I hope this makes ethicaloil.org 50 times more popular just to piss off the Saudis even more.

www.torontosun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

News flash both ways are unethical just a ploy to get people behind the tar sands...Since when does an oil source have to advertise unless selling the people on the devastation caused is ok...All those tail ponds seeping into the ground just meters away from a huge river one big storm and oops i did it again...�

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

edit on 9/20/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Didn't they just execute someone for 'Sorcery" in Saudi Arabia?

Our allies....

edit on 20-9-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
answerisquestion:
no more unethical than typical oil extraction, at least in Canada there is an open system of how to deal with the risks see here.

The main concerns regarding supporting Saudi oil is the opression of women, and the funding of terrorism.

BTW Posting a response entirely in all caps is CONSIDERED YELLING and against ATS rules.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Konstantinos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
nice to see you have the rebuttals and links ready about the tar sands...what about the oppression going in Canada and the US??? from natives to poor people to middle class...where is the link to a website saying it is OK

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by answerisquestion
nice to see you have the rebuttals and links ready about the tar sands...what about the oppression going in Canada and the US??? from natives to poor people to middle class...where is the link to a website saying it is OK

nice to see you supporting the Saudi cause, are you part of their payment system as well?

If you want to discuss the oppression of Natives and the classes in Canada and USA, you are more than welcome to open a new thread about it and we can discuss, do not try to derail this one.

I noticed you're new so please abide by ATS rules, stay on topic.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I thought it was on topic since the whole ad was about oppression ...but ok than so this organization called ethical oil or whatever was created by who??? angry women of the tar sands who are trying to help Saudi women out??? oh that makes sense to me now...lets tell big oil what to do...that should work just put up some ads get people to call their officials and tell them we want tar sands oil not the Saudi stuff...you must be naive to not see through this whole post and ad campaign...so what's the next step get the news to do a story about the ad being band from news...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by answerisquestion

No the post is to point out the outrage that a foreign nation can dictate to us what we can and cannot broadcast to our public.

On a personal point of view, yes, I would endorse the use of oil-sands extraction over sending our $ to Saudi Arabia, and I think many more compatriots and even Americans would agree with me.

There are over 175 billion barrels of oil in Alberta that can be harvested safely, but at a cost.
Since the price of oil has skyrocketed in the last 10 years, that cost is no longer an obstacle to extracting that oil.
Why give our $ to Saudi Arabia when we can keep it local by obtaining our oil from Alberta?

If we're going to buy oil, better to do it from our own backyard rather than supporting a nation that funds terrorism, and openly oppresses women.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
bravo you should work for the pr firm doing damage control for the big pipeline project from Alberta to Texas...

the tar sands has already been fatal for many people and their families as well as wildlife living in the area which is being contaminated more and more everyday by the tailing ponds seeping into the ground and river...that's just for starters the air pollution being caused by the process is on a larger scale...

I pity the people putting profit before lives and the safety of others you will have some very hard lessons to learn eventually...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Considering the source, this is definitely a right wing/neo-conservative political hack job designed to garner more support for the oilsands.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Since when was QMI agency a right-wing neo-conservative hack job?
ethicaloil.org might be, I can't say I know enough about them.
But QMI? I don't think so...

Let me re-iterate, that the point of the thread is Saudi influence over Canadian media, not necessarily the validity of the oil-sands as an alternative resource.

Personally, I do think that it is viable, providing all standards and regulations are met (see Deloitte link above), but again that is merely my side-opinion to the story.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

seriously how dumb do they think we are? ATS must be getting big time hits for them to launch a campaign on this site I wonder how many of these sites they are buying up???

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos

Since when was QMI agency a right-wing neo-conservative hack job?
ethicaloil.org might be, I can't say I know enough about them.
But QMI? I don't think so...

Let me re-iterate, that the point of the thread is Saudi influence over Canadian media, not necessarily the validity of the oil-sands as an alternative resource.

Personally, I do think that it is viable, providing all standards and regulations are met (see Deloitte link above), but again that is merely my side-opinion to the story.

you are missing the whole point of ATS to review investigate and inform others about a post...also the standards and regulations are none existent when you pay fines of thousands for billions of profit regardless of your deloitte link you keep advertising I think you need to read a real report or testimony of someone who does not work for big oil...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Well why don't you enlighten me and provide a link instead of just criticizing?
I only recently started researching the subject since I discovered the Saudi-sponsored censorship.
Yes, oil-sands are costly to extract, yes, they are bad for environment (show me a method that isn't!) but one must weigh between the 2 evils here.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

you seem to know a lot about the tar sands for a guy who just started to research it...just saying...here I will give you a tip if you want to get people behind the tar sands project you should have went with a post like why are we fighting in Lybia for the oil when we have it in our own backyard...or something like that...

you want a choice or answer that will include no evil...stop subsidizing big oil with billions and help people finance electric cars at a cost of about $100 per month since vehicles take 70% of the oil

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by answerisquestion

you seem to know a lot about the tar sands for a guy who just started to research it...just saying...here I will give you a tip if you want to get people behind the tar sands project you should have went with a post like why are we fighting in Lybia for the oil when we have it in our own backyard...or something like that...

you want a choice or answer that will include no evil...stop subsidizing big oil with billions and help people finance electric cars at a cost of about $100 per month since vehicles take 70% of the oil

I agree 100% about the electric cars. It's a damn shame the project got killed right as it was gaining popularity in California in the 90's. As for the oil sands I only know what I researched today which isn't much (Wikipedia, Deloitte, News Articles, Greenpeace, and tarsandswatch.org). From what I currently have read so far, I can't say that I'm against it at the moment...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos

No the post is to point out the outrage that a foreign nation can dictate to us what we can and cannot broadcast to our public.

it doesn't dictate - it applies pressure, and sometimes the pressure is enough to get something changed. And often it isn't. Just like your govt and others criticise Saudi for it's practices, just like the chinese every time they berate the US for suporting Japan, or the US when it's annual report on human rights slams China, etc., etc.

Or in a commercial sense just like an advertiser will pay more to get it's add in a prime slot, or will withdraw an add from a programme it thinks might taint it's product.

You might htink that no-one ever has an opinion across national borders that causes someone somewhere to change their minds or behaviour, or that advertisers don't care about what programmes their products are shown in, but that's not the real world.

edit on 20-9-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Definatley not from Alberta eh? You have no idea how small the "damage" actually is. The toxic output from any large American city triples that of the oilsands project. I've been involved with supplying the oilsands with materials for building, and you do not want to even hazard a guess how stringent the rules are for products that are even allowable up there.

That aside, do you know that the money from oil in Saudi goes to supplying the noble causes of the gov't there?
Are there any noble causes? Do you know? Can you even find out?

Every penny in Canada is accountable. Try and get a Saudi prince to tell you where the money comes or goes.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Didn't they just execute someone for 'Sorcery" in Saudi Arabia?

Our allies....

edit on 20-9-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

To be fair it was ancient sorcery. Modern sorcery includes computers, cell-phones and condoms... So if they were executing for that, it would just be uncalled for.

Ancient sorcery is a major issue though...

We need to teach the people that use Dragons Tail, Gnat Hair potions that they aren't welcome practicing their witchcraft.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join