It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: Obama's proposed cuts to veteran healthcare 'unjust and immoral'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is one thing I admire about Ron Paul. Even though he is against entitlements and social programs on the federal level, he understands that we cannot simply cut people off. We can easily cut spending other places before we make the decision to cut off entitlements.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
What Rep. Paul has stated, rings true now as it did then.

President Obama, is playing with fire, by asking to cut the benefits that were made to those who served in the military and their families. Many people have joined the US military, choosing to stick with it as a career, to give everything, even at the point of discomfort for themselves and their families. Not one person who has ever served in the US military has every given a second thought about the sacrifice that they were asked to do, when called on. They gave up much to try to do their best and serve with honor.

Now they have a commander and chief who is asking that the US senate to fail to uphold a promise that was made to all of those in exchange for their sacrifice, to take away from them, when it is all that they have. It is a shame and disgrace for even one who is suppose to lead to ask, and he should be shamed for it.

These people, who serve in the military, the enlisted, NCO’s and Officers, they do such cause they believe it is the correct thing to do. They go where ordered, enduring sometimes harsh conditions, and even give up their lives for an idea. Many are under the belief that they or their loved ones will be taken care of in the long run. The pay stinks, the hours are not something that the private sector will even pay, yet they join in droves, and it has to be for the very nature of the job and for the training that they receive, along with the benefits that will enable them to better either their lives or those that in their families.

The military has endured losses and wins, celebrations and a population at one time who despised them, looking down on them with distain and hatred for what they were asked to do, yet they toughen their resolve and keep going.

Many talk about the conditions of the VA hospital, yet at the same time, no one has connected the dots, between what the military asks for in a budget and the conditions of the VA hospitals, as they can do only so much. While it may not seem like much, it is something they try to do their best, even though it seems like little.

Cut the programs is what is called for, yet no one has come up with a solution to a growing problem, that being more and more people are on these programs and can not afford to go anywhere else, so many budgets are stretched thin and keeping getting stretched.

Regaurdless if you agree with the military or not, those who have and do serve in the military do have a contract with the United States of America. Do we break that contract cause it is part of some political scheme? Sounds like they are playing politics with the very lives of the people they swore to govern wisely.

Rep Ron Paul is correct, if the US is willing to break a contract that it made with all of the service members, past, present and future, then the question will be what else would it be willing to do that would further shame it?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
So Ron Paul, the champion of "get the government out of our lives", shows that he's not some right-wing extremist after all by saying that a government run healthcare system shouldn't be cut,

You mean he's a hypocrite right? I'm glad you acknowledged his flop.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The military should be taken care of. Just like any other citizen should be entitled to help when they need it.

Glad to see that Paul is a hypocritical in areas where lives are at stake

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There is a difference between getting something for nothing and getting what you deserve. People who pay into social security deserve to get their money back, although they will get it back deflated of course. And people who serve in the army do so with the incentive that the government will give them veteran pay. So for people trying to call Ron Paul a hypocrite for this, understand that this is different from welfare or medicare.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
No one I know that supports the republican candidates think that veterans with service connected disabilities deserve health care or compensation.. They will file for social security weather they need it or not because they paid into the system but if a person is getting social security disability income and medical care they cuss them for all they are worth and say they are receiving entitlements....

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Op, I did not read the entire thread. However, I am a 100% disabled vet with SSDI. I played and paid for my part in the military.

Having anything taken away from us is nothing more than a camel spitting in our face. It is dumbfounding that anyone take anything from us. Especially those in congress. If congress takes a cut in benefits.....then I will.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
What really makes me angry about this, is that Obama proposes cutting Veterans' health benefits, but wants to build a new prison in Bagram, Afghanistan to the tune of $25,000,000 - $100,000,000!! The following article, is an excellent read, too, imo:

www.salon.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

oh boy, the ignorance just oozes out of you.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

Please, prove exactly where Ron Paul was hypocritical instead of just making unbacked statements like that.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
But cutting medicaid and medicare along with other programs (which the tea party wants to do) that help the sick, poor and elderly is "just and moral"? I don't understand the reasoning behind this, sounds to me like selective outrage.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

Actually all the Republican presidential candidates hate "socialized medicine" like "Obamacare" (it isn't socialized medicine, to the contrary, it entrenches for profit insurance and high-paid pharmaceutical companies), but they all love Medicare and VA, which are actual 100% government funded socialized medicine.

The reason is simple, but horrifying.

Their political base (old white people) actually like tax-payer paid medical care, they just don't want it going to the "wrong kind of people". They want everybody to be paying taxes for benefits for themselves only. They fear other people getting benefits.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
There is a difference between getting something for nothing and getting what you deserve. People who pay into social security deserve to get their money back, although they will get it back deflated of course.

The amount current retirees paid in to Medicare is insignificant next to the costs they incur. If it were just "getting back what you deserve" then everybody would have a Medicare charge card with a funded account was filled up when they paid taxes, and depleted when they see the doctor. Does it work like that? Obviously not. It would last about 3 days of a serious illness.

All of Social Security & Medicare is current taxes funding current beneficiaries, like every other "welfare" program.
edit on 22-9-2011 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

This is one thing I admire about Ron Paul. Even though he is against entitlements and social programs on the federal level, he understands that we cannot simply cut people off. We can easily cut spending other places before we make the decision to cut off entitlements.

Actually, other than military & intelligence spending in large amounts, we can't.

All those other programs are quantitatively a very small fraction of the budget relative to Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security/Government retirement + military/intelligence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join