It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dick Cheney: Letting Iraq Military Disband Was Mistake.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

We wouldn't be in this current mess if the Bush Administration hadn't lied about their rationale for war.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Many believe Desert Storm/Shield should have been finished then and there rather than allowing them a decade to rebuild. The world will not likely see any set piece battles like this short of another World War. Even major debacles turned in favor of the American troops. I recall a particular story of an ODA doing a deep recon mission that was found by children. They refused to kill the child and thus compromised their position. In spite of a massive response by the Iraqi military as well as militia they managed to escape with their intel as well as take out over 1000 troops with the aid of a few air strikes all without losing a single man. Our operations went so swimmingly that before long Iraqi troops were surrendering to camera crews just to get some food.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Yeah Cheney is a mistake.

It wasn't a mistake to lie to congress to start an unneeded war... no... that couldn't be THE mistake.

It has to be that we let their military disband.... yeah... that was the real mistake.

Cheney... just die already.. please.
edit on 9/20/2011 by mudbeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollslayer

Many believe Desert Storm/Shield should have been finished then and there rather than allowing them a decade to rebuild. The world will not likely see any set piece battles like this short of another World War. Even major debacles turned in favor of the American troops. I recall a particular story of an ODA doing a deep recon mission that was found by children. They refused to kill the child and thus compromised their position. In spite of a massive response by the Iraqi military as well as militia they managed to escape with their intel as well as take out over 1000 troops with the aid of a few air strikes all without losing a single man. Our operations went so swimmingly that before long Iraqi troops were surrendering to camera crews just to get some food.

At that time, most of the international community, our allies, and the United Nations was for liberating Kuwait, not for going into Baghdad and take Saddam Hussein out of power.

But when i kept on looking back then compare the 1991 Gulf War to the current Iraq War, i felt that we should have went into Baghdad 1991.

They were several reasons why the 2003 invasion of Iraq was botched up.

1) We don't have enough troops on the ground unlike the 1991 Gulf War. Many U.S. generals said prior to the 2003 invasion of Iraq that they need 500,000 troops to pacify Iraq. Instead Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld only reduced it to 140,000 because thet felt the technology would make up for it.

2) Turkey would not allow us to invade Iraq from the north. So all those forces had to be redirected, and the clock was ticking, so we went with just half of an invasion basically. We also didn't count on the enemy falling apart so fast. So the lack of troops, and the total collapse of the Iraqi army left a void, which was filled by the insurgents. Another 90,000 American troops were supposed to be delployed into other parts of Iraq during the invasion but never did because Rumsfield prevented them so.

3) We didn't have coalition support like they did in the 1991 Gulf War. If we had Coalition support due to the fact more nations support equal to more troops on the ground, the insurgency would have been prevented. They sponsored dialogue talks between Iraqi Factions, checking on Iran routes to support terrorism, etc. Also, they were anti-Saddam forces in 1991 willing and waiting for help. They were not there in 2003 because they were slaughtered by the Iraqi Republican Guard in 1991.

Giving those facts straight, i maintain we should have went into Baghdad in 1991 If the UN and Arab states supported us. The 2003 Iraq war doesn't have that kind.

edit on 20-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Dick Cheney: Letting Iraq Military Disband Was Mistake

No invading Iraq under BS pretenses was a mistake. Continuing the war on terror is a mistake. "Electing" George W twice was a mistake. Those were mistakes.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15

Of course the biggest mistake was to disband the Iraqi Army at the time and thought it foolhardy because the Iraqi known how to maintain order. Think how much cheaper it would have been to to simply pay the Iraqi soldiers their pittance and keep them from joining the resistance. Instead, the US used the incorrect post WWII model of "denazifying" and disbanding. That worked at the time because the Germans were a western culture, thoroughly beaten, and were occupied by millions of Allied troops.

Just like when we disbanded the Germany military after WW2, there was an insurgency until the 1950s.

www.newsmax.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

Then I guess you've never heard of the post WWII Werwolves?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

No invading Iraq under BS pretenses was a mistake. Continuing the war on terror is a mistake. "Electing" George W twice was a mistake. Those were mistakes.

And Obama was a smart move???

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Then I guess you've never heard of the post WWII Werwolves?

No not really, i believe that though the Iraqi occupation should have been better planned. Giving to the fact we disbanded their whole entire military, the insurgency ensured. What is your suggest that could have been done to do that?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

And Obama was a smart move???

Most certainly not, I voted for Ron Paul back in 2007. I cannot vote for him again due to his close association with the tea party, and understanding a strong libertarian stance will simply just consolidate power in the hands of those that have the most money. Free market and small government doesn't work when transnational corporations rule the day, it will only reinforce their already gross power.

If there was a way to keep big business and large corporations from raping the environment, human rights, middle class and working class then I would be all for Ron Paul's stances. A shame really because he has some really good ideas.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

I don't get regardless but the Iraq war should have been planned better.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Were those Cheney's words used in the headline, "Letting Iraq military disband was a mistake"? I believe what was done was we disbanded them would be more accurate, which many saw as a mistake immediately. Is he just now coming to that realization? And is that his defense and rationalization, we let it happen?

edit on 20-9-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

The Wherwolves never did anything. The program largely existed only on paper like the much hyped fictional "Alpine Redoubt" that everyone was paranoid about in the closing days of the war. Yeah, a few Hitler Youth were "trained" in the Wherwolves tactics but AFAIK they never did any operations.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This isn't news - I recall it being admitted at the height of the insurgency say 2005 or so - putting a bunch of ex-military onto the streets, with grievances, when most of them were jsut "troops" - and indeed SH didnt' actualy trust the regular army that's why he had his Republican Guard - just played into the hands of the insurgents.

Yeah - here you go - 2005 report - Disbanding the Iraqi army a mistake

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by muzzleflash

Naw... the Feds don't pay that much... KBR does... not the US...
still it's close... the offer they made me was as a Civilian liaison... training the MEK to do their thing in Iran...
$78 grand a year to start

Also another good suggestion would be DynCorp.

If anyone does go get a gig there just please try not to shoot any civilians if you can't help it.
I'd like to see those types of things avoided.

The pay is really good so hey, it's better than joining the military.

If you're going to get shot at least get paid well for it.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Double post. I'll make something with it though.

From DynCorp's website above. Interesting info there. Check this out.

Somalia Peacekeeping

Working as a partner with the U.S. Department of State to support regional stability by training, equipping, deploying and sustaining African Union peacekeepers.

Tactical Aviation

DynCorp International (DI) supports tactical aviation needs globally with a wide array of professional services and technical support across a broad range of operations. Worldwide, for over 60 years we have delivered the highest quality of organizational, intermediate, and limited depot-level maintenance and training for all types of aircraft, ground support equipment, and vehicles.

And read this section

Basically they are involved in a wide array of 'support' missions in all types of categories.
edit on 20-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I just wish people would stop believing in their lies. That's all.

i wish more people would actually vote and hold our government accountible, instead of blaming them for everything all the time.

The blame is not with the government, its with the people. Time and again people complain about Us actions, yet decide they dont want to vote / participate in the process.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

i wish more people would actually vote and hold our government accountible, instead of blaming them for everything all the time.

The blame is not with the government, its with the people. Time and again people complain about Us actions, yet decide they dont want to vote / participate in the process.

The election that put Bush/Cheney in office did not follow the popular vote. The majority of voters voted against them. Even the electoral process was corrupted by side-stepping Florida's constitution of conducting a manual recount when the decision was as close as it was, the Supreme Court stepped in and made the decision themselves.

I understand your point about playing the blame game but that was perhaps not the best time to play the VOTE! card.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

The popular vote is irrelevant since our system does not use that to elect the President. It uses the electoral college, and until thats changed, its valid and legal.

Its the perfect time to bring it up, because people constantly point out problems, yet dont want to do anything to fix them, including participating in the political system.

Simply saying the system is broke and doesnt work does what exactly? There is no effort made to fix the problem, or even to organize to make changes to eliminate the problem.

How is pointing out issues and laying blame a fix?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

The popular vote is irrelevant since our system does not use that to elect the President. It uses the electoral college, and until thats changed, its valid and legal.

Its the perfect time to bring it up, because people constantly point out problems, yet dont want to do anything to fix them, including participating in the political system.

Simply saying the system is broke and doesnt work does what exactly? There is no effort made to fix the problem, or even to organize to make changes to eliminate the problem.

How is pointing out issues and laying blame a fix?

You're right. Despite your insistence to participate in the process there will always be such voter apathy to point to you will always have a place to lay the blame. That is the perfect stance.

edit on 20-9-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
People point to the circus that happened in 2000 but most don't know about the Diebold voter machine fraud that happened in 2004. Voting is a feel good exercise that holds very little revelance to who is actually picked to become president. Steps taken to undermine voting:

1) Lobbying and campaign contributions by big business finiancing one candidate that "plays by the rules" (keep the status quo) over another.
2) Advertisement and air time given by controlled corporate media giving one candidate more exposure than others
3) Advertising polling numbers that help reinforce number 2, and ommitting polling numbers that don't.
4) Vote tampering (diebold, florida ballots, blacklist of supposed felons that were never convicted etc..)
5) Electoral college

Believing that voting really makes a difference in this game of power is wishing for the best when evidence points to the worse

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join