It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UARS now with a FEMA twist??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Earlier I made a thread asking why UARS?
Why UARS?

Now it seems that FEMA are on the case!!

FEMA Ready plunging satellite hits US

With a massive dead NASA satellite due to plunge back to Earth this week, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is laying the groundwork for a fast response in case the 6 1/2-ton spacecraft falls over American soil.

(visit link for full article)
edit on 20/9/2011 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Does kind of make you wonder if there is something more to this.
Something on the satellite that is very dangerous or that NASA is downplaying this whole thing.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Ok if its a threat WHY DONT THEY JUST SHOOT IT DOWN????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? 2ND & 3RD

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Ombamas not going to use his secret space laser on this, because it wouldnt be a secret anymore

On a more serious note, thats a good idea, smaller bits burn up better and faster, makes sense right?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

ARLINGTON, VA — At 10:29 p.m. last evening the Navy confirmed it hit a falling and potentially dangerous defense intelligence satellite using an SM-3 missile fired from the deck of the USS Lake Erie in the Northern Pacific.

THIS WAS IN 08 SO they got to have more accuracy?

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If this thing lands in my backyard, I'm not telling anybody. Going to sell it on ebay.

Be nice if the clouds would move away so I can see the stars.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Anybody remember Space Cowboys with Clint Eastwood? The one where they had to do repairs on an old satelite when it turned out that it was actualy filled with nukes aimed at Russia? I wouldnt put it past them...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Because, as the article in the OP states, UARS does not pose the threat that USA-193 did.

Of key concern was a tank that held about a half-ton of toxic hydrazine, a fuel source thought likely to survive re-entry and be intact when it struck the Earth, rupturing and releasing the hazardous material.

The UARS satellite due to fall from the sky this week does not have any fuel remaining onboard. NASA commanded the satellite to use it all in 2005, when it was decommissioned, to put it on its years-long disposal course.

Since the spacecraft isn't carrying any hazardous materials, there's little need to try and shoot it down, officials said.

www.msnbc.msn.com...-zy0vE

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
the fact that the military isnt planning on shooting this satelite down baffles me. there has to be something missing from this story.

maybe they want to retreive the satelite because its parts are made form gold

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If it busts through my roof, I'm going to sell it on ebay and make some money. The government has screwed us over enough.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Ok if its a threat WHY DONT THEY JUST SHOOT IT DOWN????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? 2ND & 3RD

I think we have enough space junk to deal with already. No need to make more. The Chinese did this not too long ago and the mess it made was pretty big.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the info.

Doesn't sound like much of a threat. Chances are that it will hit an ocean.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If you look at its telemetry data, you can see that even if it falls off course it will not be anywhere near the US... its flight takes it over the tip of Argentina bisects Africa, the middle east, and greater Asia where it starts back down again crossing through Russia and back out into the pacific...not a chance it will hit US soil based on that. check it out

www.n2yo.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm trying to figure it out as well as they don't shoot it down.

1) Does not contain hazordous waste - Ok well that's good but it still poses a threat to hit over well populated area's & FEMA is prepared.
2) Don't want space debris - Understandable. Then shoot it down once it enters Earth's atmosphere. C'mon this isn't rocket science for christ sakes.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ummmm, its 6.5 tons let it fall on 3 mile island or somewhere simular then what? Why not just shoot it down over free water notice free water

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
If it busts through my roof, I'm going to sell it on ebay and make some money. The government has screwed us over enough.

Nice try but since it's technically gov't owned then you cannot profit off of anything that may have been gathered from this satellite.Funny thing is if someone gets killed you better believe they won't get # from the gov't,

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Funny thing is if someone gets killed you better believe they won't get # from the gov't,

HOW its theirs?

@need to try and shoot it down, [color=cyan]officials said.

Likes how its said OFFICIALS SAID

edit on 9/20/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
When I read the reports that said not to touch it, that caused me alarm. I really do wonder if it could be toxic. "they" say it has no fuel and "they" say it isn't a danger but.....

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

2) Don't want space debris - Understandable. Then shoot it down once it enters Earth's atmosphere. C'mon this isn't rocket science for christ sakes.

Shoot what down exactly?
The satellite will break up as it enters the atmosphere. 26 pieces large enough to be hazardous are expected to make it to the surface (the rest will vaporize). The pieces range in size from 0.003 square meters to 0.93 square meters.

Where should the missile launcher be placed since the reentry point is unknown?
Which pieces should they shoot at? The biggest? What do you get when you hit something with a missile? Fluffy bunnies?

edit on 9/20/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Incendiary missles --BURN MOST OF IT--- ALSO AMAZING HOW 26 PIECES HAVE BEEN ASSESED.. Or use that navy rail gun, just sayen
various locations to shoot from.
edit on 9/20/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join