It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gear Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have a question for you more experienced survivalist types out there about an often overlooked important piece of SHTF survival kit: Footwear! I have bad feet, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about a really good pair of boots. Right now the best thing I have is a pair of construction boots with a lightweight carbon-fiber toe, instead of the steel one. Heh, I remember my first pair of Vietnam jungle boots from the local army/navy surplus store I got when I was in high school many years ago. Those things were terrible! Completely flat bottomed, no support at all. I can't imagine marching across the wastes in those things. Our poor vets! Anyway, the ones I have now are much better, but I am sure there are better still options out there. Modern Military perhaps? What are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by InvaderSkich

I have a pair of desert boots that the military uses now and I like them. Footwear has come a long way since Vietnam. I have also had Redwings and Timberlands that I have liked in the past. Footwear is something I do not mess around with, if they are not comfortable I toss them.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Well military issue equipment is rarely the best when compared to its commercial counterparts. A phrase you hear often in the militarry is "lowest bidder" referring to the fact that the company that offers the cheapest product gets the contract. This is why spec ops groups tend to buy outside of the military.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Danner boots. Durable and comfortable the first time you put them on.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Blackhawks are great boots, lightweight, cost around $100 and you'll swear you're wearing the newest "air" tennis shoes. Hi-Tek's are also a good brand if you can still find them. We were issued Bates 924's in the Navy and they are a good boot also with good arch support and a good sole. However after years of wearing the Bates I would still go with the Blackhawk's.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Coyote Boots, my favorite brand name boots.

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a#q=%22coyote+boots%22&hl=en&client=f irefox-a&hs=4uP&rls=org.mozilla:en-US
fficial&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=V894Tq2bKsqctwfNhqCADA&ved=0CG0QrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw .&fp=bf266748df263dd7&biw=1920&bih=977

As for shoe type, it's really up to you. IMHO there are 3 things to look at in regards to "shoes". Sturdiness, Support and Comfort. I forgo the comfort for the other two, but my feet are screwed up from wearing boots everyday for 6+ years.
edit on 20-9-2011 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2011 by thesungod because: Link button is being weird.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

try a pair of HI-TEC Magnum boots. they come in various heights from shoes to 12hole boots aswell as a variety of finishes goretex, all leather and different colors ie black or desert. shop around though as prices seem to vary alot.
www.lapolicegear.com...
i was using them twenty years ago and they were very light and comfortable then so i can only imagine what theyre like now days

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

depending on terrain
taking off the shoes and going barefoot has its benefits
and if your going to be on the move for a while its actually going to be better

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
All the boots I wore in the army were horrible, so I'd really just stay away from them. You might try Rocky brand desert cross-trainers. I have some and they are the lightest boot I have ever worn. Not sure about their durability though. Altama make some good boots. Danner and Matterhorn are also old stand-by's. Regardless of what boot you get, I think it is more important to have quality socks and arch supports/inserts. Socks with good padding and construction, not tube socks from the department store, and a foot bed that conforms to your foot and corrects any issues you might have (over-pronation, etc.). Those two upgrades can make a crap pair of boots into passable.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I just ordered a new pair of
Red Wing 882: Irish Setter Elk Tracker

But...
if you’re a hard core mountain man, survivalist, out looking to pit man against nature, you never leave home without your “BunnyBoots” while not a new product the big news about BunnyBoots is their now available at select Wal-Mart’s! Their still the same ole BunnyBoots... Layers of felt and wool sandwiched between two layers of rubber making them completely water proof. The BunnyBoot has probably saved more feet and lives out in back country than any other piece of equipment you can name!... BTW the black bunnies are good down to -20 the white bunnies are good to -60

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Don't pigeon hole all of your options into the combat boot variety. Granted there are some good options in that realm but look into the wide variety of backpacking boots and upland field boots that are available as well. A well run backpacking/camping supply store will have the proper tools to measure your feet and to test the fit of the boots. Walk up and down on the incline boards to check for proper fit with and without a load on your back.

Aftermarket insoles are a good buy also. I use the Superfeet insoles in my boots and in my mountain bike shoes.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Your going to want a good pair of light duty hiking boots at least water resistant and most of all they have to be comfortable if the S.T.H.F. your not going to go to REI and go shopping. So footware is important for days on end of walking foraging for food shelter but here is something to consider when is it going down? while your at work or on your way home from the grocery store, in the middle of the night? most likely when your not ready so unless you carry your GOOD bag with you everywhere you probebly just have what youve got on

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Aftermarket insoles are a good buy also.

100% agree with this. Footwear is important, but what you put inside the boot may ultimately make a difference to your comfort and ability to withstand long days bearing weight. Superfeet are great (they can be made custom, if necessary) but if not them, then something like this should be taken seriously.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i prefer cody lunden choice of going barefoot all the time

yes yes i want to get closer to nature

ok seriously not really whatever footwear you choose

break them in always break them in and always keep your feet dry

trenchfoot bad healthy feet good

and always trim your toenails

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Currently, I use a pair of LaCrosse Quad Comfort steel toe boots. Once they are broken in, they are great. Very durable construction and great traction.

Aside from that, I've used Caterpillar brand boots for years. If you get one with a metatarsal guard, they make great foot protection.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't know how Lundin does it. I've never been much of a barefoot guy around my yard let alone a desert, rain forest, swamp or artic tundra. Certainly mind over matter and a thick skin.

When I was a kid we learned about hookworm in Science class. I think that was enough motivation to keep my shoes on.

www.health-healths.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the input everyone! I will definitely look into some good insoles! I had kind of thought about them before but wasn't sure just how much they would help.

You are right about not having everything on you all the time, but ultimately where's the first place your going to go, if not home to gear up?

Also, the post apocalyptic world seems likely to be a place full of sharp rusty metal bits and shards of glass. Not exactly ideal barefoot country...

new topics

top topics

join