It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Kids With ADHD, Regular 'Green Time' Is Linked to Milder Symptoms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This probably wont come as a surprise to many, but it seems that in kids who have ADHD, those that play outside regularly have milder symptoms

A study of more than 400 children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder has found a link between the children's routine play settings and the severity of their symptoms, researchers report. Those who regularly play in outdoor settings with lots of green (grass and trees, for example) have milder ADHD symptoms than those who play indoors or in built outdoor environments, the researchers found. The association holds even when the researchers controlled for income and other variables.

Previous research has shown that brief exposure to green outdoor spaces -- and in one study, to photos of green settings -- can improve concentration and impulse control in children and adults in the general population -- individuals without ADHD.

Kuo noted that the findings don't by themselves prove that routine playtime in green space reduces symptom severity in children with ADHD. But in light of all the previous studies showing a cause-and-effect relationship between exposure to nature and improved concentration and impulse control, she said, "it is reasonably safe to guess that that's true here as well."

For Kids With ADHD, Regular 'Green Time' Is Linked to Milder Symptoms

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I thought that "Green time" included a joint and some munchies

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Double.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Elsek because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Yeah. And it's sad that teachers take away recess to kids who are academically behind or disruptive to class. I know there needs to be consequences... but they really need that time before school starts and during to get all that crazy energy out! Even if they don't have ADHD. They are freaking kids for goodness sakes.

And I thought "green time" meant something else as well!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You mean they are saying that when you let these kids play outside and burn off energy they seem to behave better? Wow, I would never have thought of that. Thank God for science, or we all would never make it.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
No surprise, and as having ADD myself i can agree fully that "green time" milders the effects.

The worst situation an ADD can find himself in is: to be driven to school and back, being at school the whole day, with strict rules on how to behave and keep quiet while being fed with fast food and drinks with loads of sugar.

Sadly enough this is the ordinary day in the life of kids nowadays. Anybody wonders why ADD cases are spreading ?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

IMO ADHD doesn't exist, parents just need to discipline their kids and quit shoving pills down their throat for every little nonsense medical condition that the pharmaceutical industry makes billions off of.
edit on 20-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Definitely getting out and running off some steam is a huge help to not only kids with attention disorders but to every child. Our society for many reasons has become one that keeps children inside more often than any other time in our history. My youngest son has ADHD and spends the majority of his free time outside on the move. I watch him and feel completely frazzled. He can barely stay focused on one friend/toy/game at a time before he's off to the next. Now i'm imagining all of that energy being cooped up inside 4 walls....wow makes for some loooong days!

Michelle

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Griffo

IMO ADHD doesn't exist, parents just need to discipline their kids and quit shoving pills down their throat for every little nonsense medical condition that the pharmaceutical industry makes billions off of.
edit on 20-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

Wow, you must be an expert! Do you know that not every child with attention disorders is treating with medication? Or do you just spew assumptions at will? Open your mind a little and stop being so stereotypical. A diagnosis of ADD/HD does not immediately entail a prescription. The doctors that follow that regimen should be examined...NOT the parents of these children.

Michelle

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

This seems an obvious as a beautiful sunny day!

That which is natural and life giving is beneficial... Hmmmm.... Why is science so far behind in discovering so many obvious truths? Maybe one day when they are looking in the right direction they will discover the obvious existence of God.

What did it take? 50 years to prove that smoking is bad for you. Didn't the hacking, coughing and inability to breathe give clues that smoking is bad.

I digress...
edit on 20-9-2011 by GoldenVoyager because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

"Green-Time"? Is that the new PC lingo on playing?

All I can say is DUH!!!!
Really?? It took a study for people to figure this out?
What a waste. Ask any informed and in tune parent about this, and it would come across as second nature.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
there seems to be an epidemic of adhd. this is not, as one would think, because we see more cases, but because the limits for the diagnosis have been lowered. who benefits? who asked for the limits to be lowered? Note, that it is not the first time we've seen this trick been pulled. And others. But even when they are caught red-handed, they get away with it. it's disgusting.

btw, latest news: search adhd+medication+puberty+boys.

edit on 20-9-2011 by khnumkhufu because: spelling

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

It was saying that when kids played in a more natural environment they exhibited milder symptoms. In other words, playing outside in the school yard or playground (an artificially created environment) did not really reduce those symptoms.

Those who regularly play in outdoor settings with lots of green (grass and trees, for example) have milder ADHD symptoms than those who play indoors or in built outdoor environments, the researchers found.

So running around outside didn't reduce their symptoms, it was only when it was in an environment closer to nature that the symptoms became milder
edit on 21/9/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join