It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toll roads and toll bridges fees going up... A LOT... around America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Is it me or...

George Washington Bridge

As of September 18, 2011, the cash tolls going from New Jersey to New York will now be charged $12 for cars and $11 for motorcycles (there is no toll for passenger vehicles going from New York to New Jersey).

From $8 to $12. Or +50%.

In Maryland :
Chesapeake Bay Bridge toll

Proposed toll increase
The MdTA is proposing to raise the toll to $5 in October 2011 and to $8 on July 1, 2013

From $2.50 to $5 then $8. 320% increase. (apparently it was already approved)

And in Virginia :
Virginia Approved to Add Tolls on Interstate 95

Atlanta :
I-85 toll lane a go, I-75/I-575 toll project on hold again

Starting Oct. 1, solo drivers can take to the I-85 HOV lane in parts of Gwinnett and DeKalb County, for a price.

From Old Peachtree Road to just south of the Perimeter, the HOV lane on I-85 is turning into a toll lane. The electronic toll system is to go live at midnight the night of Friday, Sept. 30 and Saturday, Oct. 1, according to State Road and Tollway Authority director Gena Evans, as long as weather permits final installation steps and testing goes well.

The pillaging is kicking it up another notch.

Feel free to add any bridge/toll road fee increase in your local area/ that you know of... let's find the most insane hike!

For now the record is to the Maryland Chesapeake Bay Bridge at 320%.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Agenda 21 is an action plan of the United Nations (UN) related to sustainable development and was an outcome of the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992. It is a comprehensive blueprint of action to be taken globally, nationally and locally by organizations of the UN, governments, and major groups in every area in which humans directly affect the environment.

Wikipedia: Agenda 21

Makes sense after you read the article

Try driving from Providence to Boston and back... $20+ and the roads are s#

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Just attended a wedding this weekend, and noted to my husband in the car, the tolls are getting INSANE! From Wisconsin to suburbs of Chicago, tolls went from 30-50 cents on average (only on entrance and exit of toll roads), to every 10 minutes we paid $1.60. The problem of course, is in my lovely state of Illinois. There's a reason I don't use the toll roads unless I HAVE to.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If its any consolation, South Africa does the same and they have new tolls - think it is 50 cents for every km in Johannesburg and surrounds. It will eventually become too expensive to go to work. Especially when you consider that there is no decent alternative public transport and in most cases no decent (i.e. relatively safe) alternative routes either.

And the best thing is the new roads and "upgraded" highways are starting to disintegrate after 3 months usage (sarcasm). I am waiting in breathless anticipation for the new bridges to collapse.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I use the Chesapeake Bay bridge every day to get to work as do a lot of my coworkers. For us that live on the Eastern side of the bridge it is the only way to get to the Western shore of MD. (unless of course we want to drive an extra three hours a day to get to work). The increase is just crazy. Even the commuter tickets are going up. That bridge collects millions of dollars each year from people going to the Ocean resorts as well as residents of the Eastern shore. The money was supposed to be put back into maintenance of the bridge however the MDTA uses that money collected for other projects around the state. It sure would be nice for the state to give us a breakdown of how much money is collected and where it is used. We are all already strapped for money and it is just another way for Maryland to stick it to its residents.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Anyone know if the Pennsylvania Turnpike tolls went up?

The Governor of Pennsylvania contracted the turnpike upkeep out to Spain.

Other States should have followed suit and contract their Federal Highway Systems out to foreign countries. LOL....I'm being sarcastic.

You should try and drive in France. A toll booth every mile you have to pay to keep driving. How they have an economy of any sorts is beyond me.

We'll follow suit. 1/3rd of America will be dead soon dontcha know? The +70 million Baby Boomers aren't going to live forever.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The primary problems are that the gas taxes aren't keeping up with the road maintenance/construction needs and (above all else, actually) the funds that are raised via gas taxes, vehicle licensing, tabs, and even tolls are completely misappropriated towards absolute crap like mass transit, emissions mitigation, ride share incentives, and pedestrian/bike improvements that will never even remotely pay for themselves. Motorists are subsidizing a slew of programs that have zero benefit to the motorist and are largely based around a group of sunshine and farts utopia seekers who wish to see the US become like Europe... in other words, drive as little as possible.

join