It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson Says Alzheimer's Makes Divorce OK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson stunned "700 Club" viewers Tuesday when he said divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's disease was justified.

Robertson, chairman of the Christian Broadcasting Network and former Republican presidential candidate, said he wouldn't "put a guilt trip" on someone for divorcing a spouse with Alzheimer's disease, calling Alzheimer's itself "a kind of death."

The remarks sparked outrage throughout religious and medical communities.

Why is it these people aren't more widely seen for the fraud they are?

What a...hypocrite...nut-job...fair weather friend....is he?

:shk:

edit on 20-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well !

So much for the part of the wedding vows that speaks about "What God has joined together, let no man put asunder."

Or maybe, that doesn't apply if one partner gets sick !

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Pat Robertson's opinion matters...
...why?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Wow... That's... Just wow...

On the other hand? Once that horrific disease progresses to the point where the victim (yes, the victim of the disease) needs constant care and remembers nothing and no-one?

I guess it's a matter for the heart of the individual. Just like any decision in marriage should be.

peace

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
How anti Christian! Alzheimer's can make a spouse a better person. Like when they completely forget that they are alcoholics. They just forget to have that drink.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Sounds like My (ex) husband - who decided that strife was a good reason to leave Me. Fair weather friend, indeed!

And how loving and "Christian," for that matter. What a freak He is. In My opinion.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

In sickness and in health...... It's what you sign up for. Alzheimer's is an awful disease but I wouldn't divorce my wife if she had it. What a two faced fraud.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Robertson is a worthless human being. One day he get a rude awakening when he stands in judgement from God and gets slapped down to hell. When he get buried he better include a few gallons of sunblock (SPF) 1 million+.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Uh oh, brother Pat is tossing lightening bolts again.

Everyone has a crazy uncle. The Christian right has Pat.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
While I totally agree with your sentiments about these frauds, I still think this bozo is right to an extent. Not all Alzheimers is the same, some is infrequent like my grandfather while others are more severe like my great grandfather and grandmother who couldn't do anything except sit in a chair with an occasional burst of a totally off topic and random sentence.

My great grandfather couldn't recognize anyone anymore. He had no clue who we were. Only a few times were we able to get a "yes" or "no" from them when we asked if they were thirsty. But does this really give us the right to just abandon them? They ARE family. I could never leave a wife or husband behind, because they were no longer in control of their mental facilities. It's not their fault. And besides a marriage vow, we made a personal vow when we chose to spend our lives with them.

But then again, like I mentioned above, they're not really there as far as we know. It's almost like a paradox to me. On one hand, I can understand the divorce. But then again, on the other I find it cruel and wrong. My great grandmother stood by my great grandfather when he got it. There was no question about it. Then she got it some time after he passed, but we took care of her.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Pat should have followed Sam Kinison's lead and left preaching for comedy.

He would have helped more people with his comedy than he ever has preying financially on the gullible of the world. And being old enough to remember his "run" for the White House... Well, here is Sam discussing Pat's run for the White House, apologies for AJs presence for the intro, only copy I could find.

But never let it be said that I will not present both sides of an argument. Pat on (and off of) the Lary King show;

Now there is a true role model, huh?

edit on 20-9-2011 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Convenient, eh? To me this is a perfect example of humans making up God's words...twist em when it suits you. It is either a holy sacrament or it isn't.

CJ

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I will give only my opinion which is based on the fact that I am a Christian, and I work in an institute of psychiatry in the geriatrics unit, the majority of our patients are dementia patients. As I believe someone already mentioned not all dementia are the same, two of the nastiest varieties are Alzheimer and Lewy Body dementia.

Once the diseased has reached a level of progression the person you married ceases to exist on many levels. The spouse becomes unable to care for them physically or emotionally. They may not even recognize their spouse, have absolutely no idea who they are. It can also be so dangerous for them to stay at home they need to be in a facility receiving 24 hour care for their own safety. In some instances visiting can be a wonderful and positive experience, in others it can cause so much agitation it is actually better the spouse does not visit.

Here are some other scenarios to consider. What about a spouse that is in a coma, and has been for a long time. They are physically alive, but they are certainly not there. What about someone that loses their memory and has no memory of the person they are married to and refuse to live with them. In these scenarios is the person "dead"? It is important to remember that Alzheimer's Dementia does not get better, ever, with our current medical abilities.

There are two forms of marriage, one is the joining of people by God, the other is a way for the government to make money on something they should have no business in. If you subscribe tot he belief that the person is "dead" in any of these scenarios, then biblically it should stand to reason that a civil divorce is fine, as that is done only under man, and this would be the same as if the spouse had died and the other remarried. If you do not believe the person had "died" then there is no biblical standing for divorce, and to do so and get remarried would be adultery.

Luk 16:18 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by loam

Convenient, eh? To me this is a perfect example of humans making up God's words...twist em when it suits you. It is either a holy sacrament or it isn't.

CJ

The question is not whether or not it is a holy sacrament, the question is what constitutes "death". Pat Robertson has decided advanced stage alzheimer's is "death". Look at my previous post, is it ok to divorce someone that has been in a coma for 10 years that may be permanent? What about someone that loses their memory and it will never come back and they have chosen to leave you.

When you personally go through it you will have an understanding, and not until. I see it every day at work and it is heartwrenching to see a husband or wife come in to visit their loved one in any advanced stage dementia. I am not saying Pat is right, I'm saying once you go through it you wont be so quick to jump on him.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Ah, I have personally gone through it?
Do I know now of what I speak?

The point is this: Man decides via reasons when it is ok to change the "word of God". WHATEVER the EXCUSE...through SICKNESS and IN HEALTH. Either marriage is not as "holy" as they want us to believe (when are we going to get the list of things that Pat decides are ok to divorce your spouse for?) I thought divorce was wrong? Hmmm. Or it is now OK to be heartless. Cripes I hope my family doesn't leave me because I become a liability to them...seems to be a case of changing the rules to suit whoever speaks for God.

Now in reality, of course you should be able to divorce someone when you want to - but just because your lot is unlucky should not mean you leave someone who you told you would be there for in times just like these...

CJ

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue] 'In sickness and in health'

'Til death do us part'

'In good times and in bad'

So much for vows.
edit on 26-9-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue] 'In sickness and in health'

'Til death do us part'

'In good times and in bad'

So much for vows.
edit on 26-9-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

Exactly. They mean nothing if we can arbitrarily attach amendments - man made amendments to God's words.

Edit to add: Who are we kidding? Marriage is now about as holy as swiss cheese...from today's paper - 40 years ago this would have been front page news - HOW could someone DO THAT?

Boston Red Sox pitcher John Lackey has filed to divorce his wife, Krista, who is in the middle of battling breast cancer, TMZ reports.

Lackey filed on August 30, according to court docs in Texas, claiming "the marriage has become insupportable because of discord or conflict of personalities."

Boston Red Sox Pitcher Divorces Cancer Stricken Wife

Thank God they had a prenup agreement.

CJ
edit on 26-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Here's a little insight into Pat Robertson. I am a Registered Nurse at the world's premier cardiac hospital. I have taken care of this man on three different occasions. He is a hypocrite and anytime I see him preaching about his Jesus it makes me want to puke.

This man is full of hatred, and is by far the most self-centered and evil patient I have ever had the displeasure of taking care of. Believe me when I tell you that this man's heart is full of hate.

I have taken care of celebrities, Saudi Royalty, and several Prime Ministers, and none of them frightened me with their views toward mankind as much as this man did.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What's really sad about this is, that anyone should feel the need of doctrinal 'approval' from any middleman on such things. I have also worked in a warding capacity with such and similarly ill people and there are no doctrinal standard rules available.

But then I guess, that zombies in any case never can or will take responsibility for any decissions, but leave it to whatever authorities they believe in.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
At first I was going to bypass this discussion, and then decided to weigh in, as I have direct experience with this topic and subject matter:

Alzheimer’s Disease, is a horrible disease, the person will never get better, and not baring a miracle, will eventually lose all capacity to reason and comprehend what all is going on. It is a nightmare for the person and the family, who are often the first line of caregivers for a person suffering from this.

What is not stated, is that the caregivers, give tirelessly and with compassion to a person who has this disease, endless days and nights, week after week, hoping that the next round of medicines will do some good, all of the while, without rest, or hope, without support and give up much, sacrificing everything all for the love for the person who is suffering, in an unconditional way.

The person suffering is in a point of mental confusion, never knowing the day or the time, lost within their own being, often looking for reasons, as they can no longer care for themselves, having to deal with changes, and being terrified of those changes, getting mean about such. They lose all track of time, their internal clocks are gone and ultimately, their minds slowly slip away.

It is agonizing to watch the downward spiral, even with the medications, it is one that can drain a caregiver emotionally, mentally and physically, to the point where they get sick, and need rest. Families try to care for their loved ones, spouses, siblings and parents with this disease, only to in the long run, forced to watch, in horror and grief, as their loved one is locked away for their safety.

Pat Robinson, needs to get a bolt from what ever god he worships, for the lack of compassion on his part. It is cruel and horrible, not even thinking of what the spouses are feeling, and knowing or the emotional distress that his statement would cause on the part of the person with Alzheimer’s or their families. It is a lack of understanding and compassion, and funny something tells me that Jesus would have never abandoned his mother or father, if they were struck and would ultimately have condemned the person who did such.

I know of this disease, not cause I suffer from it, but cause I am a caregiver for a person who has it. And believe me, it is emotionally horrible when the person looks right at you, and can not even recognize your face, even though you are the child or sibling of such. People who are in this position of being a caregiver, do not need that kind of advice, rather they need sound advice from people who have experience on such, cause time is a luxury they do not have, and they need professional help. This disease, this form of dementia, has crept up through the years to be in the number 6 spot for causes of deaths.

My advise for Pat Robinson, is that he needs to go and spend time on an Alzheimer’s ward, and then time with families who are caregivers for those with this horrible disease, to see how they have to cope and manage, and learn from it, maybe in time find out that his advice was the absolutely the worst part.

The one question arises, would you abandon someone you love in their hour of need, forgoing giving them all of your love, cause it is the right thing to do?

top topics

join