It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death-row inmate Troy Davis Denied Clemency

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Reading through some more of the comments below the article, this one caught my eye...

Christian S

What's with everyone wanting his blood? A death already occurred. What exactly will another one accomplish?

I thought the US, like other enlightened nations, had abolished state-snanctioned murder (like most of the civilized world has years, sometimes decades ago.)

Instead, the US shares their position on this with:

Iran
Iraq
Jordan
North Korea
Palestinian National Authority
Syria
Yemen
Pakistan
Lebanon
Afghanistan
Cuba
Somalia
Nigeria
Libya
Egypt
Ethiopia
Botswana

Congratulations. That's quite a club.

Put things into perspective in my honest opinion.

That is quite shocking seeing that list against the "almighty" USA. It seems most of the countrys/nations on that list are targeted by the USA for "human rights"... pretty hypocritical seeing as their abusing human rights on their own soil.

Troy Davis, Bradley Manning, two perfect examples of abuse right there.

USA needs to sort out its own messed up legal system before trampling on other nations about human-rights.

(btw i love your avatar, put a smile on my face
)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
How do you execute a man that could be innocent? This is just wrong on so many levels.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by e11888

To me I found this article particularly interesting

www.reuters.com...

Why would they deny a Polygraph? I don't know about the rest of you but to me something smells really rotten there. Also I have noticed that the media intentionally made this whole thing racially charged by using the line "Troy Davis a black man convicted of killing a white cop" What is the point in bring up the race? it's just a way to inflame an already volatile situation.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
content.usatoday.com...

Breaking

It looks like a last second stay was granted.
Watch live.

Edit:

Seems execution was halted for the Supreme Court to decide.

edit on 21-9-2011 by antibyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
when will the people rise up and do the right thing. this is just so so so wrong. how the hell can they justify killing a potentially innocent man? i'm so dismayed for humanity sometimes

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

Lets just hope the stay goes through. Its up to the supreme court from what ive gathered. For the moment its on 'pause'.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Temporary delay granted. A great step, but this is no way to treat a human being.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by getreadyalready

And stuff the evidence that he may be innocent eh? Better kill him quick before somebody realises this is wrong and shows the system up for what it is eh?

Perhaps we need a system where those who convict and sentence an innocent man to death (not the jury, but the Judge who passes sentence) are themselves charged with manslaughter.

The Judges may appeal and even be exhonerated, but it would create a drive to absolutely ensure that the sentenced was truly guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt" before handing out sentence.

One of the guiding principles of justice is supposed to be "innocent until PROVEN guilty", if a reasonable doubt remains, then any proof is insufficient to be acceptable.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

It looks like they've delayed the execution, perhaps partly due to the assembled supporters outside the prison. Read the link for full information.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Irony is another man was executed in Texas while this discussion was going on. He was guilty of a horrible murder and probably shouldnt even be considered human.....soooo, another one bites the dust,,,

I honestly have no guilt or feeling for guys like this, I only worry cause I know the system is flawed and penalizes innocent people fairly often....and THAT is a huge problem......

as opposed to the death penalty or life in prison, I vote we ship them all to the north pole to fend for themselves.....or maybe an island......or perhap work camps where the can toil forever, doing deeds that will benefit others,,,,,,just some ideas

Dead murderer here

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This is why I hate the death penalty, if there is a shred of doubt you should NOT execute someone. But there are to many bloodthirsty people in this country to change the system. Let's face it, race is as big of a factor in this as anything, it's pathetic that our judicial system is allowing this to happen.

Shame on the state of Georgia.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tymertz
abcnews.go.com...

It looks like they've delayed the execution, perhaps partly due to the assembled supporters outside the prison. Read the link for full information.

Sounds like the police in georgia tried to do a hack job on this guy

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolStoryMan
This is why I hate the death penalty, if there is a shred of doubt you should NOT execute someone. But there are to many bloodthirsty people in this country to change the system. Let's face it, race is as big of a factor in this as anything, it's pathetic that our judicial system is allowing this to happen.

Shame on the state of Georgia.

I would say that race could have been an issue when this man was convicted, but right now I dont think its at that level. But I agree that if there is even the smallest chance that someone is innocent they should not be executed. On the other hand, there is no reason to keep someone locked up at the expense of the tax payer if they are guilty beyond doubt. Im for the death penalty but only when there is no doubt to the guilt of the person being executed. This man however should not be put to death until his guilt is proven without question and to honest, he should be given a new trial.
edit on 21-9-2011 by e11888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I used to strongly believe in the Death plenty, then someone made this point.

"If the person is indeed innocent, and the Death plenty is carried out upon them. Then one innocent has died and one criminal is still free"

I cannot put my trust in the Government or a jury to ever be a 100% sure that a man is guilty. I don't want to take that risk, ever.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by e11888

this is a horrible subject and its disgusting what happening to a man, guilty or innocent it shouldnt be allowed. the evidence is obviously showing us that something is wrong and race seems to be an issue. and we can see the police may control over prorcedings in the case.
but we can try and make something good out of his death if they do not recall their decision.
if it gets enough support i think we should use his name to get rid of these stupid laws before someone else is killed.
he could also be a name to remember in the fight for revolution.
edit on 21-9-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well based on the latest news it would seem that Mr. Davis was executed 7 mins ago. No confirmation on this yet, but thought I would share as I have been trying to keep up with it. They denied the stay of Execution around 10pm.

abcnews.go.com...

Just found this on a local news channel in GA

www.ajc.com...

10:57 State Attorney Generals office notifies MacPhail's mother Anneliese "[Davis] is on the gurney, the needle is in."

10:52 ORDER IN PENDING CASE 11A317 DAVIS, ANTHONY TROY V. HUMPHREY, WARDEN

The application for stay of execution of sentence of death presented to Justice Thomas and by him referred to the Court is denied. www.supremecourt.gov...
edit on 9/21/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
Well based on the latest news it would seem that Mr. Davis was executed 7 mins ago. No confirmation on this yet, but thought I would share as I have been trying to keep up with it. They denied the stay of Execution around 10pm.

abcnews.go.com...

Just found this on a local news channel in GA

www.ajc.com...

10:57 State Attorney Generals office notifies MacPhail's mother Anneliese "[Davis] is on the gurney, the needle is in."

10:52 ORDER IN PENDING CASE 11A317 DAVIS, ANTHONY TROY V. HUMPHREY, WARDEN

The application for stay of execution of sentence of death presented to Justice Thomas and by him referred to the Court is denied. www.supremecourt.gov...

its a sad world

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Sickening. I have no other word for the scum that let this happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

The sad part to me is that this is a clear example that the American government no longer listens to the people. There was tons of protests to this execution and they just stood aside and let it happen. With cop out claims like governor claiming he can't stay the execution. It seems Americans have truly lost there place in our country.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Crap, double post sorry about that.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join