It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO War Crimes In Libya ,Depleted Uranium

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
NATO War Crimes In Libya
Depleted Uranium

NATO has been dropping all its Depleted Uranium in Libya ,just like it did in Iraq and Serbia ,knowing full well it would poison the populus for generations to come and its own soldiers ,which it has done ,but does NATO care ,no it doesn't.
More infomation about Depleted Uranium in Libya

American Soldiers Returning home Sick From Iraq With Depleted Uranium Poisoning Are Now Poisoning Their Wives

Conn Hallinan is a columnist with Foreign Policy in Focus and says that, after examining the impact wounds left on tanks in Libya, he is almost certain that depleted uranium is being utilized. “Politically, it’s a bad idea. Medically, it’s an extremely bad idea.

It’s just one of those things that’s an effective weapon that you have to step away from,” says Hallinan, who attests that, why the element is both affordable and powerful, “It’s just a very, very bad idea.”

Source
NATO also bombed the Libyan water supply ,which defies logic on humanitarian grounds ,but people are still buying this NATO bullsh#t of its for the good of the Libyan people.

The intervention by NATO was on the back of 110 people killed including pro Gaddafi supporters ,that got the resolution to remove the Gaddafi government ,over 800 people were killed in the egypt uprising and NATO was cheering them on ,it's bloody ridiculous.

The most recent figures from Libya's health ministry show 856 civilians have been killed in NATO air raids since they began in March.
Al Jazeera

And this is just early reports ,as usual you can expect this figure to double even quadruple ,if Iraq and serbia are anything to go by.

Back in Aug 12th the UN Stated it was getting alarmed by the cillivain deaths occuring in Libya.

Like I've said before International law doesn't apply to NATO like the rest of the world.
NATO has become a rouge organization that out of control.

I'm still waiting on someone to compile a list of crimes to Humanity that Gaddafi is accused of so we can line them up with the western powers ,who are accusing him of these crimes against humanity.

I worked in north Africa for 4 years ,and spent 9 mths in Libya in 2007 ,and it was such a beautiful country ,and the Libyan people were always smiling and joking ,and Libya was spotless ,even on desert highroads it was spotless ,the country was well looked after ,and see what is happening now to it ,just sickens me ,they blown it back to the bloodly stone ages.

No one was scared of Gaddafi ,the difference in Libya is if you committed a crime ,you get punished hard ,is this what Gaddafi was doing wrong ,not letting the criminal have more rights then the hard working citizens like the west advocates ?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

We know a great deal about uranium toxicity, both chemical toxicity and radiological toxicity and the claims as presented by the OP don’t bear up to scrutiny.

Chemical and Radiological Toxicity of Depleted Uranium

Heavy-metal nephrotoxicity has not been noted in either animal studies or Gulf War veteran cohort studies despite markedly elevated urinary uranium excretion. No significant residual environmental contamination has been found in geographical areas exposed to DU. As such, although continued surveillance of exposed cohorts and environments (particularly water sources) are recommended, current data would support the position that DU poses neither a radiological nor chemical threat.

Radiological Risk Assessment of Capstone Depleted Uranium Aerosols

Risks for crewmembers and first responders were determined for selected scenarios based on the time interval of exposure and for vehicle and armor type. The lung was the organ with the highest cancer mortality risk, accounting for about 97% of the risks summed from all organs. The highest mean lifetime risk for lung cancer for the scenario with the longest exposure time interval (2 h) was 0.42%. This risk is low compared with the natural or background risk of 7.35%.

Cancer surveillance in Italian army peacekeeping troops deployed in Bosnia and Kosovo, 1996–2007: Preliminary results

Conclusion: Although further investigation is needed, these preliminary results give no indication of an increased risk of cancer for Italian soldiers who were stationed in Bosnia and Kosovo. The cluster of Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2000 and of thyroid cancer in 2001 were sporadic events, they did not specifically affect deployed personnel and are unlikely to be related to environmental exposures in the Balkans.

Fifty years' study of occupational exposure provides little evidence of cancer.

Depleted uranium, used in anti-tank weapons, provides a common thread that links concerns about leukemia and other health effects in peacekeeping forces returned from the Balkans and worries about the environmental impact of debris from weapons in this war-weary segment of Europe. Unlike many agents that seem suddenly to prompt health concerns,[1] however, we know quite a lot about the health effects of depleted uranium.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
Conn Hallinan is a columnist with Foreign Policy in Focus and says that, after examining the impact wounds left on tanks in Libya, he is almost certain that depleted uranium is being utilized. “Politically, it’s a bad idea. Medically, it’s an extremely bad idea.

It’s just one of those things that’s an effective weapon that you have to step away from,” says Hallinan, who attests that, why the element is both affordable and powerful, “It’s just a very, very bad idea.”

Duhhhh! Depleted uranium is a component of the armour on later model Soviet made armoured vehicles. So you might EXPECT to find traces of it on destroyed armour vehicles.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I thought I was aware of all the risks associated with DU. I had no idea soldiers can make their loved ones sick from it as well. I have heard of babies conceived after the father or mother returns from deployment being born with defects though.

LOL at the usual suspects already jumping in...

"Depleted uranium is fine. There is no proof it can hurt you. The claims are exaggerated."

This sheep mentality makes me fear for our future. Just imagine if a conspiracy site is full of such ignorance, what does the rest of the "educated" world think.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Those report just happen to be very convenient for NATO done by there own scientist in their own labs ,now if it doesn't cause such problems ,then why is it so expensive and hard to store ,because of its chemical instability.

In Iraq NATO said they couldn't get the equipment there to do these independent tests needed on Depleted Uranium poisoning.

So would you store or handle Depleted Uranium mike ,or would you let your family near Depleted Uranium as you seem to think its so safe ?

I appreciate your a die hard NATO fan mike and will defend NATO to the death ,but the use of Depleted Uranium is just not on.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

"Depleted uranium is fine. There is no proof it can hurt you. The claims are exaggerated."

It’s not that there is “no proof it can’t hurt you”, it’s that there is a substantial body of epidemiological evidence that at exposure rates seen in occupation and environmental studies the is no evidence that it poses either a chronic or acute toxicity.

Deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

This sheep mentality makes me fear for our future. Just imagine if a conspiracy site is full of such ignorance, what does the rest of the "educated" world think.

Its the education system to be blamed for producing weak minds.

Many are followers. Not many are leaders or innovative thinkers.
Truely scary if I think of the future professionals.
edit on 20-9-2011 by hp1229 because: edit content

edit on 20-9-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Shhh! Mike. They might find out that DU was in almost every airliner until about 1996 as counterweights to maintain it's center of gravity with in design limits. If they really want to worry, they need to look at the brake pads and shoes in their cars.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

It’s not that there is “no proof it can’t hurt you”, it’s that there is a substantial body of epidemiological evidence that at exposure rates seen in occupation and environmental studies the is no evidence that it poses either a chronic or acute toxicity.

Deny ignorance indeed.

WHO

Depleted uranium

The uranium remaining after removal of the enriched fraction contains about 99.8% 238U, 0.2% 235U and 0.001% 234U by mass; this is referred to as depleted uranium or DU. The main difference between DU and natural uranium is that the former contains at least three times less 235U than the latter. DU, consequently, is weakly radioactive and a radiation dose from it would be about 60% of that from purified natural uranium with the same mass. The behaviour of DU in the body is identical to that of natural uranium. Spent uranium fuel from nuclear reactors is sometimes reprocessed in plants for natural uranium enrichment. Some reactor-created radioisotopes can consequently contaminate the reprocessing equipment and the DU. Under these conditions another uranium isotope, 236U, may be present in the DU together with very small amounts of the transuranic elements plutonium, americium and neptunium and the fission product technetium-99. However, the additional radiation dose following intake of DU into the human body from these isotopes would be less than 1%.

A quick glimpse of the above content says DU is 40% less radioactive than purified uranium. Would you at least agree that it is a fact that purified uranium is dangerous to humans? Would you expose your self to purified uranium radioactivity minus 40%?

There is plenty more info on the risks of DU on the same page. Sorry if the World Health Organization isn't a good enough source. I hate using sources from organizations such the WHO, UN, or NATO to prove a point since they can be very untruthful. But if I quoted something less mainstream you would let me hear about it.

edit on 20-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

What a foolish thing to say ,surely you understand its the dust clouds of poison gas on impact these clouds of aerosolized DU are laden with billions of toxic sub-micron sized particles ,and this is the problem ,maybe you need to do some homework ,i don't think your grasping what this is ,your just blindly following mikes stance ,at least mike's researched his stance.

“The numbers are overwhelming, but the potential horrors only get worse,” Robert C. Koehler of the Chicago-based Tribune Media Services wrote in an article about DU weapons entitled “Silent Genocide.”

“DU dust does more than wreak havoc on the immune systems of those who breathe it or touch it; the substance also alters one’s genetic code,” Koehler wrote. “The Pentagon’s response to such charges is denial, denial, denial. And the American media is its moral co-conspirator.”

Source

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

reply to post by SirMike

Those report just happen to be very convenient for NATO done by there own scientist in their own labs ,now if it doesn't cause such problems ,then why is it so expensive and hard to store ,because of its chemical instability.

Uranium, chemicaly speaking, is quite stable, and not difficult to store. I dont know where you got the impression otherwise.

And if you dont like the studies I cited, how about the New England Journal of Medicine

During the study period, 33,998 infants were born to Gulf War veterans and 41,463 to nondeployed veterans at military hospitals. The overall risk of any birth defect was 7.45 percent, and the risk of severe birth defects was 1.85 percent. These rates are similar to those reported in civilian populations. In the multivariate analysis, there was no significant association for either men or women between service in the Gulf War and the risk of any birth defect or of severe birth defects in their children.

That’s the beauty of the scientific method. If you doubt the conclusions or results of a study, they lay their methodology out for the entire world to see and, in cases of doubt, allow an independent verification and validation of the results. Instead of whining about “NATO scientists” perhaps you should become more familiar with the details of these studies and criticize them based on science rather than ignorant platitudes.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

A quick glimpse of the above content says DU is 40% less radioactive than purified uranium. Would you at least agree that it is a fact that purified uranium is dangerous to humans? Would you expose your self to purified uranium radioactivity minus 40%?

As Paracelsus once said. that depends entirely on the dose.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What a foolish thing to say ,surely you understand its the dust clouds of poison gas on impact these clouds of aerosolized DU are laden with billions of toxic sub-micron sized particles ,and this is the problem ,maybe you need to do some homework ,i don't think your grasping what this is ,your just blindly following mikes stance ,at least mike's researched his stance.

I'm NOT blindly following Mike. I used to machine DU, I also machined Berillium, Chromium, Cadmium and several other hazardous metals. I've probably forgotten more about heavy metal hazards than you will probably ever know. I'm old enough to have worn a wristwatch with a Radium dial, which probably gave me more radiation exposure than the DU I was around.

The title of this thread is "NATO War Crimes in Libya, Depleted Uranium". As I said earlier, DU is a component of the armour of the vehicles that are being destroyed. NATO removed DU from it's ammunition in the mid 1990's in favor of Tungsten. So where's the DU coming from? DU is extremely heavy so it doesn't stay in the air very long, nor it it easily tossed around by the wind, so while there are contaminated areas, they arre fairly localized.

As far as studies go, the ones mentioned here seem to conflict each other, so all that tells me is that maybe we need more studies. One thing that needs to be considered is that there are other materials, that, under the conditions of combat may have more of an effect on the health of the combatants than DU. Asbestos brake pads and clutch linings come to mind and there are probably others.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Depleted uranium in the unattributed article on rt.com which cites “experts” but then only names a columnist for another website and who is quoted as saying “after examining the impact wounds left on tanks in Libya, he is almost certain that depleted uranium is being utilized”, like he’s an expert on the subject. He's a columist who I bet is working off photos rather than neing in situ.

The other article about DU by Massimo Zucchetti on the website globalresearch.ca merely speculates that DU may have been incorporated into cruise missiles. Speculation = fact?

As the nations principally involved in conducting the NATO air campaign have been France and Britain, I doubt DU munitions have been used, mainly because of the political fall-out AND the fact the weapons platforms used would not carry such munitions – Tornado, Mirage, Rafale etc.

So, from these two articles which speculate, we somehow translate that to “NATO War Crimes In Libya Depleted Uranium”. Come on OP, please find something more persuasive with actual evidence.

Regards

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
This is another war crime commited by the US. People don't know that NATO is run by the USA. Hired thugs.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I thought I was aware of all the risks associated with DU. I had no idea soldiers can make their loved ones sick from it as well. I have heard of babies conceived after the father or mother returns from deployment being born with defects though.

i don't know if you're into hiphop.
but please listen this song! about the Vietnam war.
appropriate for these times as well.
RA raps about babies being born deformed etc.
just listen the song

there's a verse in there from RA The Rugged Man.

An AllHipHop.com review called the song "the most insightful track JMT has done in years" and states that "This record will be remembered most for R.A.'s robotic flow recounting his own father's story of war while absolutely murdering the beat.

source
edit on 20-9-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

ETA:

lyrics from RA's verse, just see you can see how deep this really is:

[Verse 2 - R.A. The Rugged Man] True story... Call me Thorburn, John A. Staff Sergeant, Marksman Skilling, killing, illing I'm able and willing Kill a village elephant, rapin' and pillage your village Illegitimate killers, US Military guerillas This ain't no real war, Vietnam # World War II, that's a war, this is just a military conflict Soothing, drug-abusing, Vietnamese women screwing Sex, gambling and boozin', all the # is amusing Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream I don't want to go home, where I'm just a ordinary human being Special OP, Huey chopper gun ship, run # Gook run when the mini-gun spit, won't miss, kill # Spit four-thousand bullets a minute Victor Charlie, hit trigger, hit it I'm in it to win it, get it The lieutenant hinted the villain, I've ended up killing I did it, cripple, did it, pictures I painted is vivid, live it A wizard with weapons, a secret mission we about to begin it Government funded, behind enemy lines bullets is spraying It's heating up, a hundred degrees The enemies the North-Vietnamese, bitch please Ain't no sweat, I'm told be at ease. Until I see the pilot got hit, and we about to hit some trees till the rotor broke, crash land, American man Cambodia, right in the enemy hand Take a swig of the whiskey to calm us Them yellow men wearing black pajamas They want to harm us They all up on us Bang, bang, bullet hit my chest, feel no pain To my left, the captain caught a bullet right in his brain Body parts flying, loss of limbs, explosions Bad intentions, I see my best friend's intestins Pray to the one above, It's raining and I'm covered in mud I think I'm dying, I feel dizzy, I'm losing blood I see my childhood, I'm back in the arms of my mother I see my whole life, I see Christ, I see bright lights I see Israelites, Muslims and Christians at peace, no fights Blacks, Whites, Asians, people of all types I must have died, then I woke up, suprised I'm alive I'm in a hospital bed, they rescued me, I survived I escaped the war, came back But ain't escape Agent Orange, two of my kids born handicapped Spastic, quadriplegia, micro cephalic Cerebral palsy, cortical blindness, name it they had it My son died he ain't live, but I still try to think positive Cause in life, God take, God give

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thanks for sharing that. It is appropriate for today's times. I have heard it before but put it into context with past events. Once again thank you for pointing this out, I have not heard this song in a while.

The song talks about war crimes. I don't care who's side anyone is on. Both sides are committing war crimes, NATO being the main culprit. It's what they do, and label the victims as war criminals. Pretty twisted logic.

The logic is so twisted that it rubs off on the citizens, and they defend the actions of the war criminals. And ridicule those who criticize the war criminals.

LOL too much more of this and I might have to quit ATS just for some sanity.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Stared you ,good post ,now i know were your coming from ,instead of your other 2 posts before ,that was just being sarcastically rude.

Anyway i don't claim to be a expert on the matter ,far from it ,after finding out the DU is being used in Libya ,and doing some research on the matter ,and seeing the after effects from reported cases from Serbia and Iraq ,and finding out NATO and the American government has just brush all independent claims of DU poisoning under the carpet ,almost a cover up really.

And Jim even you sound like you have your doubts about the safey of this kinda DU ,and i agree more research is needed on weaponized DU and its after effects.

When i have some time later ,i will research the sites Mike has posted more.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

My intent in posting was that NATO isn't using DU in Libya. DU is part of the armour of the tanks and APCs that are being used by both sides. These are mainly of Soviet manufacture several years ago. So how is NATO comitting a war crime?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

My intent in posting was that NATO isn't using DU in Libya. DU is part of the armour of the tanks and APCs that are being used by both sides. These are mainly of Soviet manufacture several years ago. So how is NATO comitting a war crime?

well i found several sources that say and/or suspect there is DU being used in lybia..

i'm not saying it's true, i'm just wondering how you know so sure the DU being found is from the armour of the tanks only?

rt.com...

Though NATO denies the use of depleted uranium in its humanitarian efforts in Libya, some experts insist that the highly-poisonous metal is being used in North Africa.

www.presstv.ir...

Conn Hallinan, a columnist with Foreign Policy in Focus, told Russia Today news network on Wednesday that after examining the impact wounds left on tanks in Libya, he is almost certain that depleted uranium is being utilized.

www.thiscantbehappening.net...

Specifically, the British-built Harrier jets used by British naval air forces and also by US Marine pilots, are often equipped with pod-mounted cannons that fire 20 mm shells--shells that often have uranium projectiles designed to penetrate heavy armor.

and they did it before, in Iraq for example.

Fallejuh being hit the worst of all..

here's 2 studies linking DU to rising birth defects etc in Iraq

No other city in Iraq has anywhere near the same levels of reported abnormalities. Falluja sees at least 11 times as many major defects in newborns than world averages, the research has show

study

top topics

<<   2 >>

join