It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infinity creates infinity.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If space is infinite then planets are infinite. If there is no end to planets then wouldn't there be an infinite amount of planets just like ours? Infinite space creates infinite planets which create infinite civilizations which creates infinite civilizations just like ours.

What do you guys think?

[edit on 8/25/2004 by Cheezdragon]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Universe is finite in both - time and space.
Sorry, I�m too lazy today to search for any links or do any explanation.
Also I�m not sure if I have understood your post.

[edit on 25-8-2004 by Agnis]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i dont know if you would call it infinite. i think the universe has a subtle curve to it. everything comes back around to where it started. If u leave point A...if u travel long enough, u will reach point A again.

thats just my theory

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by enrage
i dont know if you would call it infinite. i think the universe has a subtle curve to it. everything comes back around to where it started. If u leave point A...if u travel long enough, u will reach point A again.

thats just my theory

Yes but what would be outside of that curve? Space is nothingness. Nothing can last forever but something can't.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Universe is infinite, its bounded by superspace, but this is more of a dimensional barrier than the actual end of space as we see it. So if you travel a long time and far away you will not reach the end of it. Its true that its curved but its curved in a sinusoid fashion. You can theoretically jump from one bump to another across superspace in a moment, if you knew how to get there. So superspace is actually another dimension that has no time and no space, our universes opposite twin.
So if universe is infinite there are infinite possibilities in it, so basically anything is possible in the universe

you dig?

So now we need to build the infinite probability drive

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
But how do we know the universe is infinity? And will we ever find out?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

If there is no end to planets then wouldn't there be an infinite amount of planets just like ours?

i would say there is an infinite number of possibilities that another planet like ours is hurddling through space at this very moment. of course there is the remote chance that each planet is like a snow flake, no two exactly the same, similar perhaps, such as size density gravity, maybe even atmospheric and environmental conditions but one thing seperates it from our planet.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheezdragon
If space is infinite then planets are infinite.

Space isn't infinite tho

One of the old arguements against space being infinite that I recall was that, if space is infinite (and isotropic, ie similar throughout) then there would be an infinite amount of star in the sky, and basically it would be so bright out the there wouldn't be anything like night.

Or something.
[edited to add]

enrage:
i dont know if you would call it infinite. i think the universe has a subtle curve to it

apparently, space is a dodecahedron.

[size=-4]from the paper referenced

I don't understand it much, but the idea in abstract is at least intelligable.

also from the paper referenced

"Values of the mass-energy density parameter 0 for which the Poincar� dodecahedral space agrees with WMAP's results."

Here is a somewhat more intelligable representation; and also more artsy. Cute how the world is in the center no?

[size=-4]source

[edit on 25-8-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I've read variations of this equation of working out the probability of finding extra-terrestrial life both in books and on the www and it goes something like this..........

1....The number of stars in the galaxy.........................400 billion-ish
2....% of these stars that have planets............................50-80%
3....% of these planets with suitable environment..............0.1%
4....% of these planets on which life evolves......................0.1%
5....% of these which develop intelligent life.......................0.1%
6....% of life developing radio or similar communication......0.1%

(% figures not by me, just roughly how I remember it).

On top of all this you've got the time problem. We've only been capable of radio communication for just over 100 years and we've come close to wiping ourselves out already. So say the average term of existence for life after it develops radio communication is 250 years before it gets wiped out (either by itself or naturally) that is only a 250 year window in which we can pick up their radio waves. Intelligent life may have been around on and off throughout the galaxy for a billion years or so but just not in two places at the same time.
Imagine if the last radio waves from another intelligent life form in the galaxy breezed past us just before we had good enough radar to pick it up.

ps..someone else do the maths as me ed urts now.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
What if space is just one area of another Realm?
Like a Galaxy is just one area of the Universe.
Our space could be just one area of another Realm.
And that Realm in which our space, along with other spaces, is part of another realm and so on.
I'm just babbling.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logical_Psycho
And that Realm in which our space, along with other spaces, is part of another realm and so on.
I'm just babbling.

I've asked myself the same question. But considering that, here is another question. WHO IS THE MOST ELITE RACE OF ALL? WHO CALLS THE SHOTS?

I've also asked myself, have these civilizations reached a limit in technology or is technology itself limitless?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyateLaBoca

Originally posted by Logical_Psycho
I'm just babbling.

I've asked myself the same question. But considering that, here is another question. WHO IS THE MOST ELITE RACE OF ALL? WHO CALLS THE SHOTS?

I've also asked myself, have these civilizations reached a limit in technology or is technology itself limitless?

I would think technology is limitless and perhaps the ones who control everything is the race many people call "God". Perhaps technology itself can determine when a human died, lives, gets sick. Maybe technology can create fate.

I'm talking out of my butt here.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minime

we will never no if it is infinity
and we will never find out, its infinit, so it would take infinit time to get to the 'end' but there is no end, u with me here ?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Yes this is interesting
It makes you a bit scared of existence, I believe the space/all spaces are enormous so big that we could almost call it infinity I imagine outside of space there are a negative space moving more and more out into the infinity of negative space, so our small(really small compared to the negative space)"grow bigger" and thats happening infinite.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Infinity always has a start, so, from . TO........................ INFINITY.

Eternity, is always, always was, and always will.

The Universe, in my eyes, is Inifinite, or so Science claims.

Deep

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexParadox

Originally posted by Minime

we will never no if it is infinity
and we will never find out, its infinit, so it would take infinit time to get to the 'end' but there is no end, u with me here ?

Yeah im with you, nice site by the way

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
off topic:
Saw this on space.com www.space.com...
Imagine a planet like that inhabited, Oh adventures

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I believe that there are infinite universes, one embedded into another one. Its part of the chaotic inflation theory. Read more here. It basically says that a new space-time grows inward in a pre-existing region of space-time. Further, if a new universe is created in a lab, it would appear only like an elementary particle to us. So, space-time is relative.
For more reading on the theory, check the links given by Nectaris and BlackJackal on this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't think that the matter in our universe (stars, galaxies, etc.) is infinite.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
The Universe, in my eyes, is Inifinite, or so Science claims.

But science doesn't claim that the universe is infinitely large. It claims that its a finite size that is expanding. That expansion might ultimately be limitless, but thats not the same thing as saying 'the universe is infinite', especially not if, as the thread starter was saying, 'if its infinite, then there are an infinite number of stars, planets, etc'.

cardu:
Imagine a planet like that inhabited

Its got a force of gravity 14 times that of eath and a surface temperature of over a 1000 degrees fahrenhiet. Its so close to its sun that its year lasts 10 days

the article was interesting tho, especially this:

a trio of roughly Earth-sized planets was found in 2002 to orbit a dense stellar corpse known as a neutron star.

Now thats just damned cool.

the site jp1111 linked to on chaotic inflation:
A variation on this theme suggests that the "budding" process takes place through black holes, and that every time a black hole collapses into a singularity it "bounces" out into another set of spacetime dimensions, creating a new inflationary universe -- this is called the baby universe scenario.

Interesting. I wonder how they deal with the 'dissipation' of black holes that hawking has recently agreed occurs?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

But science doesn't claim that the universe is infinitely large. It claims that its a finite size that is expanding. That expansion might ultimately be limitless, but thats not the same thing as saying 'the universe is infinite', especially not if, as the thread starter was saying, 'if its infinite, then there are an infinite number of stars, planets, etc'.

Ah, I sort of was regretting saying my original statement, but decided that, if wrong, some would correct me. Thanks.

So, the Universe is not Infinite, but is exanding to an extent unkown ? It is not eternal though, for the universe always did not exist, right ?

Deep

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join