It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dwarf galaxies suggest dark matter theory may be wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I personally don't fully understand the theories surrounding dark matter and dark energy but can understand why scientists would use theories like this to help to understand how our universe came into being and how it works.

Dark matter wiki

Research on dwarf galaxies suggests they cannot form in the way they do if dark matter exists in the form that the most common model requires it to.

That may mean that the Large Hadron Collider will not be able to spot it.

Leading cosmologist Carlos Frenk spoke of the "disturbing" developments at the British Science Festival in Bradford.

I suppose that this is why theoretical physics exists, its all exiting stuff but these findings just go to prove how little we really understand about the formation of the universe.
If such a reasonably well accepted model of the universe can be called into question then how many other possibilities are there, both in what we do know and more importantly, what we do not!!

Prof Carlos Frenk at Durham University, working with the Virgo Consortium, now has data suggesting that our understanding of the formation and composition of the Universe is incomplete.

Mind blowing stuff really!!

SOURCE
edit on 20/9/2011 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
somebody gonna be really pissed off when they get into work this morning to realize that what they were trying to achieve may not even be possible time to rebuild the machine!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey

dark matter is energy

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

Erm, I may well be wrong but I don't think it is.

Dark Matter

Dark energy

I'm not a physicist so if i'm wrong forgive me!!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Calex1987
somebody gonna be really pissed off when they get into work this morning to realize that what they were trying to achieve may not even be possible time to rebuild the machine!

On the contrary. I've read so many accounts over the last few years of people at CERN hoping they would NOT find what they were looking for. Because the easy expected answer would be boring, and diving into more scientific unknowns is more fun.

And its always been this way anyhow. The fields of cosmology and particle physics is one of new unexpected discoveries that make people scratch their heads in confusion. Its always been this way. Its what makes it so interesting.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
i believe there is no bottom.no absolute base particle.just as there is no absolute vacuum.no edge of the universe
no absolute zero.i believe we live between two rules.gravity andxrays.everything else is a stretch.kinda like chainlink fences.we canmanipulate things outside the fence through the holes.these two rules break the ruleof thermodynamics,making our universe neitherexpanding nor shrinking.blackholes expell radiation that ionizes hydrogen and creates helium which gravitates together to form stars.then the cycle repeats.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul
reply to post by waveydavey

dark matter is energy

Dark matter is energy?
Not sure what you mean by that....

Theoretically dark matter is simply matter which doesn't reflect em radiation and is therefore invisible. It is inferred by the effects of gravity which seem to be more powerful than what our model of the universe would account for.....meaning that there must be some invisible matter that creates this gravity. Dark Energy on the other hand is used to explain why the Universe seems to be expanding at an accelerating rate....and is basically the same Idea as vacuum energy. (zero point energy)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by robomont

Stars are primarily hydrogen, ionising hydrogen doesn't create helium, fusion in the stars creates helium, which is what stars create for 90% of there lifetime.

As for dark matter, whilst i was studying phsyics i never particularly liked what i read about dark matter it just sounded like a bodge job, sort of jerry rigging the current model so it still worked.

I also hope they don't find the Higgs boson, science will be soo much more interesting if it didn't exists because it would cause a whole re-write and i can't think of anything more interesting than everything being wrong and having to do a re-write

edit on 20/9/11 by LanceonW because: spelling & grammer

join