It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Cosmonauts film two strange objects Sept.15, 2011

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
So in your opinion, what would NASAs official line to the public be?

That they are in control of the situation and understand it fully -- to be facetious. The official spox act like classic big-agency spox, using and spinning information to serve their agency's need. I'm neither naive not paranoid about their role, and the limitations of their finesse -- but am satisfied that as with any bureaucrat, they are really not that good at their jobs, and either tell enough of the truth to be useful, or are too clumsy to cover anything important up.

Don't forget, i'm the only space journalist to ever be denounced by name in a NASA press release for a 'whacko' theory that was closer to the truth than their official position -- on the Mars robot fleet debacle of 1999. And when a NASA flight director, at an official press conference, responded dishonestly to a question of mine based on a memo he didn't know I had, he wound up as a chapter in my 2002 book 'Star-Crossed Orbits' [pp. 306-308].

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Thanks for that insight. I hadn't realized the problem actually had it's own set of guidelines and 'rules' to follow. It makes sense to think about it now that you've described it though. I may be middle age, but everything up there is still as fascinating now as it was when I was a kid. I wouldn't have guessed..procedures for which way to 'drop' something.

Glad it helped. Bizarre as it sounds, by no means should you drop anything "down". Orbital mechanics forces will cause it to seem to bounce back up right back at you, pass in front of you in about 45 minutes (half an orbit), and a full orbit later come down on top of your head.

The physics of this is that your orbital velocity determines your orbital period, and something leaving you in a direction perpendicular to that velocity will have its OWN velocity very nearly the same as yours -- so it will circle the earth and return to the same point as you do.. It's a question of triangles -- one leg [station's velocity] is 25,000 feet [the speed per second], the small leg maybe a few feet [1 to 2 or a little more] at right angles, so the hypoteneuse is going to really really close in value to the original leg. The orbital path will be shaped a little differently but every full circuit will wind back up very close to the original point.

It is unearthly, in the literal sense of the word. but it's our new environment, the first since people set out on open water craft and then up into the air, and it's utterly fascinating to me, too.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join