It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Cosmonauts film two strange objects Sept.15, 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Did a washer drop off the space station?

Seriously though, interesting footage and NASA apparently aren't sure what either of these objects were. Thing is, if they aren't sure what they are, how can they say "they pose no threat to the station"?

The plot thickens.

edit on 20-9-2011 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 20/9/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Video does not appear to work...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bvproductions
Video does not appear to work...

Apologies, fixed

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Theres alot of videos with those 'flashing washers' in, lots in the STS vids.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Looks like they dropped some more parts or tools. I wonder how many millions of dollars we're watching float off into space in that video. They really have to do something about a new way to stop those little accidents. They're not only expensive, but some unsuspecting spacecraft years in the future could be damaged or destroyed by that junk. The washer like thing does look like it came right from where the first part showed the space walker..behind the structure the ring seems to be floating out from?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Nice find!!! S&F

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Now we should wait for NASA statement: OMG it's full of life!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
in related news,

NASA issued following statement:

"Those wimpy washers pose no threat to mankind!

Sadly, we cannot say the same for 6.5 ton UARS expected to fall to earth sometime Friday, or as early as Thursday or late as Saturday."

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Looks like they dropped some more parts or tools. I wonder how many millions of dollars we're watching float off into space in that video. They really have to do something about a new way to stop those little accidents. They're not only expensive, but some unsuspecting spacecraft years in the future could be damaged or destroyed by that junk. The washer like thing does look like it came right from where the first part showed the space walker..behind the structure the ring seems to be floating out from?

At the space station altitude, there's enough air drag that light stuff like that drops out of orbit and burns up within a few months. But you're right, even the small stuff is a potential hazard if it drifts back and recontacts the station. It won't be going fast enough to penetrate a hull but it could jam a hinge, gouge a window or solar panel, or otherwise find some way to foul up the exterior mechanisms.

There are strict rules and procedures about dropping stuff by accident -- the russians are just a lot less strict in applying the rules.

If you needs must drop something, the rule is -- push it backwards. It will slip into a lower, faster orbit highly unlikely to ever come back into the station's vicinity. Stuff dropped off in other directions can and does circle back and return.

Stuff comes off even without clumsy cosmonauts -- ice, insulation blankets fragments, small mechanical pieces [you really want to know about it when THAT happens]. That makes it important for Mission Control -- and the public, looking over their shoulder -- to keep an eye out for anything unusual floating around out there.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The first "object" looks like a heat blanket from the cargo bay.

2nd.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

At the space station altitude, there's enough air drag that light stuff like that drops out of orbit and burns up within a few months. But you're right, even the small stuff is a potential hazard if it drifts back and recontacts the station. It won't be going fast enough to penetrate a hull but it could jam a hinge, gouge a window or solar panel, or otherwise find some way to foul up the exterior mechanisms.

There are strict rules and procedures about dropping stuff by accident -- the russians are just a lot less strict in applying the rules.

If you needs must drop something, the rule is -- push it backwards. It will slip into a lower, faster orbit highly unlikely to ever come back into the station's vicinity. Stuff dropped off in other directions can and does circle back and return.

Stuff comes off even without clumsy cosmonauts -- ice, insulation blankets fragments, small mechanical pieces [you really want to know about it when THAT happens]. That makes it important for Mission Control -- and the public, looking over their shoulder -- to keep an eye out for anything unusual floating around out there.

So in your opinion, what would NASAs official line to the public be?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I thought there was no one aboard the space station at this time?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

wait I guess supposedly this was filmed the day before they left that'll fuel the flames

edit on 9/20/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

You're right, when i saw the Vid i thought i ve seen this before. And yes its from July, and there is an existing thread on it : www.abovetopsecret.com... which includes the link to the original CNN source.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Thanks for that insight. I hadn't realized the problem actually had it's own set of guidelines and 'rules' to follow. It makes sense to think about it now that you've described it though. I may be middle age, but everything up there is still as fascinating now as it was when I was a kid. I wouldn't have guessed..procedures for which way to 'drop' something.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
..nevermind
edit on 20-9-2011 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

Ah thanks for working that out for me I suspected the timing was a little to convenient. Good work

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

There is still some trace gasses up there that provide drag.

2nd.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I've seen them recreate those round jelly fish type objects in space.

UFO NASA Tether incedent

I'm not saying this is what it is, but it does look similar

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
FINALLY WE CAN SEE THE INCOMING ALIEN CRAFT ALSO KNOWN AS ELENIN!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join