It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being stupid attractive?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This thread amuses me. So many people trying to show the rest of the posters how intelligent they are by bashing all those they feel are "stupid", thus validating their own perceived intellectual superiority. The dog chasing his tail routine.

The difference between intelligent and stupid people is literally nothing but your judgement of an individual based (hopefully) on your interaction with them.

Intelligent people always try to rationalize and over think issues while stupid people just is. Stupidity is a force of nature. It is the ability to ignore your own self preservation instincts and jump out an airplane with 10 yards of cloth strapped to your back or climb a mountain cause it's there.

We all have varying amounts of stupid in us and to ignore that fact would be arrogant and ....stupid.

Oh and can someone check my post for grammatical errors and then post those mistakes in your response so I can figure out what camp I belong to; stupid or AWESOME!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Stoopid is as stoopid does...

Most of the general population are retarded apes. I'm sorry if that offends people. It's not my fault that at least 50% of the population have an I.Q. closer to that of an orangutan than to mine. People are dumb... It's a fact. Stop analyzing it and whinning about it. Try to find yourself some stimulating and intelligent conversation.

Let's be honest. My superior intellect doesn't prevent me from doing some of the most stupid # you have ever heard of.

IT"S FUN!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komaratzi11
Sometimes, I find it easier to appear ignorant than to deal with "schooling" the stupid.
Like the other day, I was explaining my theory about the Giza Pyramid with some family members. This was well thought out and I had spent several days and many hours researching both on here and on other sources. I didn't even really want to discuss it because I knew already how my "alternative" ideas can be received by less open-minded individuals, but they insisted knowing what I was studying. Of course, even after an explanation that I am pretty sure wasn't understood in the first place, I am crazy and coming up with "out there" ideas.

I find it exhausting trying to explain my thoughts to people who apparently like living in the dark. Usually, I just keep it to myself as my own little pleasure in life, but it is great to go on here and be able to relate with people who really get it. I get so tired of hearing, "What exactly are YOU going to do for the world with this knowledge?" Who cares what I am going to do with it? Obviously, they really don't! Maybe I won't change the world, but at least I didn't sit around stupid all my life. Maybe I want to know for ME.

In reality, I think most people are quite satisfied to know what little they can get by with. I think they are quite content to live in a world where what is happening on prime time rules and doing just what is necessary is good enough. I, however, am not one of those people.

I think the OP was talking about intelligence. What you're referring to sounds more like opinion or conjecture.

It would be like me complaining about people not being intelligent because they disagree with me on how to expand the game of Rugby in Serbia. It's not really the same as someone being an idiot and not knowing Paris is the capital of France.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The thing about stupid people is that they cannot pretend to be intelligent.
Intelligent people can pretend to be stupid.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It is the essence of humanity at large; over 50% of people have a sub 100 IQ and I would say that a much more substantial percentage of individuals have absolutely no care outside of what is fed to them through media and consumption.

We live in an age where information has never been more free or easy to obtain while individuals have shrunk more than ever in the face of it.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

The tragedy here is that ATS seems to be generating a critical mass of stupidity that threatens to flip the poles and block out the sun etc, etc

stupidity rising? Are we witnessing an alarming proliferation of irrationality and an exuberance of ignorance?

Stupidity seems a concern to a growing group of scholars. Last month alone two arXiv papers (here and here) appeared that both refer to a 35 year old essay by the Italian economic historian Carlo Cipolla entitled "The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity". In this humorous yet thought-provocative treatise Cipolla warns against the power of stupidity. Three of Cipolla laws of stupidity I reproduce here. The first provides a definition for stupidity, and the latter two highlight the abundance and the effectiveness of stupidity:

"A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses."

"Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."

"Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake."

Cipolla describes stupid people as an unstructured, yet powerful group. He argues that when you suffer due to the actions of others, it is likely not due to malevolent actions, but rather due to stupid actions:

"Our daily life is mostly, made of cases in which we lose money and/or time and/or energy and/or appetite, cheerfulness and good health because of the improbable action of some preposterous creature who has nothing to gain and indeed gains nothing from causing us embarrassment, difficulties or harm. Nobody knows, understands or can possibly explain why that preposterous creature does what he does. In fact there is no explanation - or better there is only one explanation: the person in question is stupid."

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
this is just me and feel free to have your own opinions

dont care about whats in the mind

only care about whats under the clothes

just saying

a mind may be a terrible thing to waste but who doesnt like eye candy

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ithinkweneedwaymorefluorideandaspartameinourdiets.
sorryidetestthetime/spacekeyatthislevel.
canihavepityapplauseplease.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
Not that simple. Since we don't have the body language, people read every dissenting comment as a freaking argument. There's also enough studies (surveys, mostly) that show we tend to say things online that we wouldn't say to someone's face. This can be both good and bad. Also, they did a study that showed that even a cartoon face appearing to look at you where you can notice it will keep you from stealing...ie.e facial contact makes you more honest was the conclusion.

Yes. That is why I think it feels "safer" to be "social" over a computer, we can be dishonest with ourselves. That is why I think it is not a very effective step towards becoming socially and emotionally skilled.

Speaking as a woman who mentally runs circles around my husband, it has negative side effects to be seen as the "more intelligent" partner. As far as IQ is concerned, his score is not enough lower than mine to warrant me being touted as the "smarter partner". What I am is far quicker at processing. That is the only difference. When I'm right, he still hasn't made his decision yet. When I'm wrong, he often takes too long to point out where I went wrong. So I'm on the next subject, being wrong/in the wrong, firmly convicted of right, and he feels like an idiot before he gets to the point where he knows where I went off the deep end. It's frustrating for both of us--and there are times when I have to stroke his ego (generally reminding him of why he feels dumb when he is not), that I would not have to do if I was just as "slow-witted" or at least was incapable of reasoning as well as I do. the sad part is to most people, his pace of thinking is fine. The problem's with me.

In "playing dumb" I mean pretending I am way behind. Saying "I don't know"- when I do. Saying, "I can't" when I can. And yes.... I hear the groans of the women that hate that behavior, and I acknowledge their point. Yet, the truly intelligent man KNOWS this is a game, and has fun playing it, and appreciates their partner in it.
My husband and I are probably equal in intelligence, though our brains work differently and have different focus most of the time. But we give each other a space to come in and feel useful- a purposely created interdependance. Like when he pretends he can't as much as boil a pan of water- he allows me the pleasure of doing something for him.

I am a horse owner and see that relationship the same! My horse is a thousand times more powerful than I and does not have to do anything at all that I direct her to do! Yet she does..... is she stupid? I don't think so, from what I observe. But she is social, and so we pretend to be less capable in order to have a relationship..
She pretends she couldn't go out and find her own food and water without me (despite being surrounded by mountains of grass and rivers)
And I pretend I cannot walk and need her to carry me.
She pretends that she can't figure out on her own how to corner that calf or jump that log,
And I pretend I couldn't do it without her aid.

And though none of that is true, we could both get along fine without one another,
We get the delicious experience of relation,
through restraining a bit of our potential to open a door for other to come in

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Fact I have learnt through life ..... 99.9% of the population rely on the 0.1% that are actually smart .

Most people are just dumb consumers. They consume other peoples ideas and inventions without ever appreciating it.

Nothing wrong with being dumb and useless and a simple consumer. But fooling yourself otherwise is stupid.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I have to play devil's advocate here once.

Is bravery stupid? Sometimes yes it is.

Say someone is trapped in a burning car, and someone walking down the street decides to pull them out.

Three likely outcomes.

1:They save him/her, and everyone is happy to be alive.

2: They both die.

3: The person does nothing.

My point is stupid sometimes saves life's.

Also in such situations, the most intelligent people can become really stupid real quick.

Such a stupid, brave and heroic action can, yes be attractive, but I state that only in such specific circumstances.

Then again, its all in perspective.

edit on 22-9-2011 by quantumdragon because: To keep grammer nazis at bay

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by quantumdragon

Your last line sums everything up, well said.

Then again, its all in perspective.

This is exactly what I was trying to illustrate in my post but it didn't seem to work as the very next post after mine had this to say about "stupid" people.

Most of the general population are retarded apes. I'm sorry if that offends people. It's not my fault that at least 50% of the population have an I.Q. closer to that of an orangutan than to mine.

I think arrogance & condescension are more dangerous than stupidity. History has proven time and time again when you get one group thinking they are superior to another bad things happen and on a grand scale.

I have also found in my experience that people that have to tell you how smart they are...aren't.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bphi1908

I think arrogance & condescension are more dangerous than stupidity. History has proven time and time again when you get one group thinking they are superior to another bad things happen and on a grand scale.

I have also found in my experience that people that have to tell you how smart they are...aren't.

It is still a matter of perspective. I do agree with you, a lot.

Take for example the Native Americans, I think it is a bad thing because the white man( I being white) killed millions and almost destroyed a culture if not pretty much did.[bad]

But on the other side of the spectrum, we wouldn't have this great country today.[good]

So pretty much, what is you view point? What where you taught, and what is your past experiences?

All these help to contribute to your perspective.

Back then, manifest destiny was all they needed.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

I mean i ask people questions sometimes, and they say "never heard of it".....and they think they are "cool" for not knowing it. Now, this doesn't just come down to ignorance, since if your ignorant, you can just look this info up on google....but they chose not to, therefore they are stupid.

Not knowing the answer to a question does not make one stupid. It just means they are not educated on that particular matter. Intelligence and education are 2 separate things that people frequently confuse.

Personally, when someone says "I dont know" or "never heard of it", I give them points for their honesty and secure nature. It is so much worse when people dont know the answer, but act like they do. THAT is when stupid is most apparent and becomes obvious. Know it alls, who really dont know it all, are basically insecure in their own level of intelligence and tend to be afraid to say "never heard of it" or "I dont know". This causes them to then answer a question they have no knowledge in, making them look stupid all because they fear some stupid person may call them stupid.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantumdragon

It is still a matter of perspective. I do agree with you, a lot.

Take for example the Native Americans, I think it is a bad thing because the white man( I being white) killed millions and almost destroyed a culture if not pretty much did.[bad]

But on the other side of the spectrum, we wouldn't have this great country today.[good]

So pretty much, what is you view point? What where you taught, and what is your past experiences?

All these help to contribute to your perspective.

Back then, manifest destiny was all they needed.

I was taught the same crap everyone in the US was taught, a poor simplistic history lesson that favored the victor. And we did destroy several cultures turned entire nations into the US's first welfare recipients. The people may still be here but their culture is a ghost.

As far as us having this great country because of the horrible things our ancestors did is very true.

Think about this question. If we never had the TV would we miss it? More importantly if we never stole this land from the Indians would we even have this country now?

Manifest Destiny was a way for a group of men to steal what wasn't theirs and not feel guilty about it because it was ordained by the Lord.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Think about this question. If we never had the TV would we miss it? More importantly if we never stole this land from the Indians would we even have this country now?

Manifest Destiny was a way for a group of men to steal what wasn't theirs and not feel guilty about it because it was ordained by the Lord.

^In my perspective stupid.

If we never had the TV how could it be missed, if you never feed a child candy before, will the little one ask for it all the time?

This country as a land mass? yes. If immigrants never settled the Americas It would just be a whole different world. A lot of things happen(ed) here that effected the line of events throughout history.
edit on 24-9-2011 by quantumdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

This thread amuses me. So many people trying to show the rest of the posters how intelligent they are by bashing all those they feel are "stupid", thus validating their own perceived intellectual superiority. The dog chasing his tail routine.
It is amusing when this happens. That certainly isn't my intent, and I hope to God I'm not coming across that way. But considering I'm making point-by-point responses, I don't see how I wouldn't, to many.

Intelligent people always try to rationalize and over think issues while stupid people just is.
Not always so. Some pretty mediocre people do as I do.
Their "fail rate" tends to be even higher than mine. (And that's sad because intelligence does fail enough on its own.)

We all have varying amounts of stupid in us and to ignore that fact would be arrogant and ....stupid.
Agreed. But to sit there and assume that people aren't aware of it from the first post on a given subject is just as foolhardy. A lot of people jump the gun on declaring who is.

Oh and can someone check my post for grammatical errors and then post those mistakes in your response so I can figure out what camp I belong to; stupid or AWESOME!
Nothing came up on the spellcheck.

Originally posted by hudsonhawk69
Let's be honest. My superior intellect doesn't prevent me from doing some of the most stupid # you have ever heard of.
Let me guess: leading to people crying out, "hat kid ain't got no common sense!" Right?

Originally posted by NadaCambiaIt's not really the same as someone being an idiot and not knowing Paris is the capital of France.
Nor is this a test of intelligence. This is a test of the worth that geographical assertions has with the person you are talking to. While I knew Paris was the capital, I can't tell you all the capitals in the USA, nor could I tell you the capital of Germany off the top of my head. I learned this stuff for a test, and promptly forgot it because it's irrelevant to my daily life. But I'm smart enough to look things up when I don't remember, if it's that important.

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanityWe live in an age where information has never been more free or easy to obtain while individuals have shrunk more than ever in the face of it.
Well, it's kind of easy to be an individual in a township of 200, not so easy to be different from everyone else on the face of the planet. If you desperately want to maintain individuality, you've got to avoid a lot of like-minded group socialization. To do this requires being lonely, which is hard for a gregarious species.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bladerunner44
"Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake."
This is the first point that had anything to do with what I stated. The rest was for other's edification?

1. "Starring" affects the individual post. I might have been wrong for doing that. Maybe. "Flagging" a subject doesn't have as much to do with just the OP, but can deal with the entire subject.
2. Assumption: the association of an intelligent person automatically means that they are not aware of "stoopid peepel" damage. Considering how many smart people I know out there that like to stir up the less capable, I'm seeing more and more people that want to trigger the "costly mistake".
3. Always generally has a documented exception. The whole point of an education system is to force those who would otherwise be left for stupid to challenge their behavior (irrelevant of whether or not the school fails at their job). A lot of mediocre people, through education, rise through the ranks of stupid. I.Q helps, but there's a lot of people out there with it that don't have the necessary education to use it. And there's a lot of mediocre people out there who know exactly where their limits are, who know when to lean on outside help.
4. I.Q. is no substitute for expertise. No matter how lacking the expert is in I.Q., either.
5. In cases like mine, if I didn't associate with those dumber than me, I'd be left with only my family and maybe 6 other people in my area (roughly 100,000 people) to talk to, I.Q.-wise. This is neither palatable, nor profitable.
6. Inconsistencies in this rule aside, this is good for dictating problems in mob mentality. Hence:

Cipolla describes stupid people as an unstructured, yet powerful group.
The old saying is that a mob's I.Q. is the highest I.Q. in the crowd, divided by the number of people. Pretty decent axiom.

He argues that when you suffer due to the actions of others, it is likely not due to malevolent actions, but rather due to stupid actions:

"Our daily life is mostly, made of cases in which we lose money and/or time and/or energy and/or appetite, cheerfulness and good health because of the improbable action of some preposterous creature who has nothing to gain and indeed gains nothing from causing us embarrassment, difficulties or harm. Nobody knows, understands or can possibly explain why that preposterous creature does what he does. In fact there is no explanation - or better there is only one explanation: the person in question is stupid."
There are people out there who cause problems for the sheer personal enjoyment of it--even with a high I.Q.. Some people post arguements and whatnot, not for even these purposes, but to revel in the glory that being "in the right" gives them. Not all ill behavior can be so easily defined as "stupid people being stupid". Now, can being stupid make it harder to rationalize out the end outcome of what they intended? Sure. This is where this particular quote comes into play.

Now, the problem with leaning too heavily on being the superior intellect is that some people are only "subject stupid". Some master carpenters can't figure out that Thomas Jefferson would rebel against his own country. Others who get that Thomas Jefferson was indeed a rebel because he couldn't work with the system in place wouldn't be able to make a mitered joint if they were given the needed tools, with several years of high quality instruction, while the Thomas Jefferson idiot might be able to do it even by hand. People have their areas in which they excel.

If you're too busy being superior and avoiding them, a lot of information gets lost. Another way: My great-great grandfather was a farmer with a small forge on his property. I'm told by my grandfather that this man could tell the temperature of the metal he was working on by looking at the color of the metal. Both my grandfather and my father are welders. They know what temperatures are needed to weld things together, but neither of them do a thing by color. So the information on how this is done is lost to my family. In a case where that great-great grandfather would still be alive (miraculously), I would find him pretty darn backwards on a lot of concepts. Should I let my arrogance get in the way of my ability to learn from him, even bond with him as another human being?

Besides, assuming that others are stupid and that you are not, even by I.Q., and applying rules of non-association only works when you correctly value yourself.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
And though none of that is true, we could both get along fine without one another,
We get the delicious experience of relation,
through restraining a bit of our potential to open a door for other to come in
I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with this. Not conceptually, but implementation.

Originally posted by bphi1908Manifest Destiny was a way for a group of men to steal what wasn't theirs and not feel guilty about it because it was ordained by the Lord.
Not quite this way.

Manifest Destiny is the title they gave to something they were already doing. Manifest Destiny is a 19th century term for something whites had done in the Americas since the 1500s. Basically, it's: "Since God allowed them to fall due to our oppression, it's evident that God favors our subjugation of them, just for the land."

The concept of American expansion is much older, but John L. O'Sullivan coined the exact term "Manifest Destiny" in the July/August 1845 issue of the United States Magazine and Democratic Review in an article titled "Annexation."[1][2] It was primarily used by Democrats to support the expansion plans of the Polk Administration, but the idea of expansion faced opposition from Whigs like Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, and Abraham Lincoln who wanted to deepen the economy rather than broaden its expanse. John C. Calhoun was a notable Democrat who generally opposed his party on the issue, which fell out of favor by 1860.[3]
Wiki

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantumdragon

^In my perspective stupid.

If we never had the TV how could it be missed, if you never feed a child candy before, will the little one ask for it all the time?

This country as a land mass? yes. If immigrants never settled the Americas It would just be a whole different world. A lot of things happen(ed) here that effected the line of events throughout history.
edit on 24-9-2011 by quantumdragon because: (no reason given)

lol, I never put myself in the smart group. But my contention is that how "great" can a country be if it is built on the unrelenting greed and ambition of a few men that cost the lives of millions. I am not only talking about the Indians here how about all the men who have died in wars created to continue to feed the military industrial complex. To feed the greed of few.

We talk about about how good and generous we are but if the foundations on which our great nation were built on are rotten to the core (always have been) then are we truly good?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join