It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being stupid attractive?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
im totaly stupid, that why im damn clever

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
To be hot and stupid can be attractive, but to be ugly and stupid is unforgivable

The truth is that physical attraction can override many things, guys in general will be attracted to a stupid but pretty female because they know there is a higher chance of getting her into bed.

Females will be attracted to a dumb but hot guy because they believe he will be good in bed “cute” I think is the code word (which is why I snarl like a rabid dog at anyone who would dare call me cute, or adorable for that matter!)

And that’s about the truth of it for most people

Those who are very deep thinkers however will probably find dumb people repulsive to the point of not wanting to breath the same air

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Hey Fooks

No problem!

I completely agree with you on all your points.

BTW - the beauty in intelligence to me really goes beyond just what is seen at face value. I should probably have expressed myself better - but I for one as an example do not dismiss the people who are quiet or who do not actively participate in conversations, or "play dumb" as being stupid. In fact - it is those people who carry the greatest power, who have the keenest glint in their eyes. It is probably that "glint" in the eyes that tells me someone has intelligence - not what they say nor really what they do. The eyes really tell me all. Let's not forget emotional intelligence - very important.

Some people however lack any emotion or depth in their character - their eyes are empty and they spew nothing but nonsense about total materialistic bull# and can often not do more than judge, belittle and discuss other people - It is the kind of lack-of-intelligence-equals-an-ugly-person mentality that I was actually referring to.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS
To be hot and stupid can be attractive, but to be ugly and stupid is unforgivable

The truth is that physical attraction can override many things, guys in general will be attracted to a stupid but pretty female because they know there is a higher chance of getting her into bed.

Females will be attracted to a dumb but hot guy because they believe he will be good in bed “cute” I think is the code word (which is why I snarl like a rabid dog at anyone who would dare call me cute, or adorable for that matter!)

And that’s about the truth of it for most people

Those who are very deep thinkers however will probably find dumb people repulsive to the point of not wanting to breath the same air

I think you are right, and yet disagree with some of your reasoning.
For example, I have always been a very deep thinker, and yet found myself attracted to men who are not.

Let's distinguish between stupid, and non-intellectual. One can be intelligent, and uninformed, or uneducated.

MY reason? Because if the (intelligent) person is not focused upon gathering intellectual knowledge, it is often because they are highly emotionally focused- more physical, more sensual. They spend more time feeling, being empathic, exchanging sensually and emotionally with the world.

So, yeah, that DOES make for a better lover. It also makes someone that is powerful enough emotionally and sensually to pull me out of my own head and free me from my reason and logic that sometimes causes me to be cut off from my own emotions and body at times. If I am with a man who is equally intellectually focused- well, that would only serve to keep my head in the clouds and my feet off the ground.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The 5 fundamental laws of stupidity by historian Carlo Cipolla....

And I (quote)

1. Always and inevitably each of us underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation

2. The probability that a given person is stupid is independent of any other characteristic possessed by that person

3. A person is stupid if they cause damage to another person or group of people without experiencing personal gain, or even worse causing damage to themselves in the process.

4. Non-stupid people always underestimate the harmful potential of stupid people; they constantly forget at any time anywhere, and in any circumstance, dealing with or associating themselves with stupid individuals invariably constitutes a costly error.

5. A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person there is

(unquote)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Calex1987
reply to post by ColCurious

lol your best bet would be to quote her on the...i can see Russia from Alaska....now that was just funny...

Palin never said that so there is no way to quote her. It was Saturday Night Live and others who followed SNL who took a quote from Palin and distorted it's content into a comedy skit, lol.
edit on 20-9-2011 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
In today's society?

Yes.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Yes I kinda agree with you too but the person you describe is not stupid just have a different focus in life.

Basically you can tell if someone is stupid just by making eye contact, stupid people have the " sorry nobody at home" look.

The other thing is that it is actively being promoted to young people on TV, Young people today just want to be able to sing, dance, be famous....apparently they are going to solve the worlds problems by being "cool"
edit on 20-9-2011 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
There are a shocking amount of commas in the OP.

I don't care what you say; writing fundamentals and sentence structures are the quickest indications for intelligence when reading an online forum.

Gotit?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Given the increased interest in reality TV, the whole 'I wanna be famous' train of thought has been instilled in a generation of younger people. It would appear that the more outlandishly 'thick' so - called 'stars' of these shows often go on to win the show and in turn, maximise their media attention. I suspect that these individuals may not be quite as 'thick' as they like to portray themselves.

This gives rise to the question then : If someone can become instantly 'famous' for being unable to string a sentence together in a coherent fashion, why bother with education?

Who is more stupid: The person who takes part in the media circus or the person who watches avidly to see what the next faux pas will be?

I would suggest that it's perhaps not initially attractive to appear stupid but it is very definitely lucrative! As we all know......fame and fortune makes an individual very attractive to many.

As a side note; whilst intelligence will take you far in life, common sense will take you further.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

[color=91FFB2]This thread is overflowing with attractiveness.

[color=CFECEC]"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

George Carlin

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

I mean i ask people questions sometimes, and they say "never heard of it".....and they think they are "cool" for not knowing it. Now, this doesn't just come down to ignorance, since if [color=FFAD66]your ignorant, you can just look this info up on google....but they chose not to, therefore they are stupid.
Basically, you are claiming that other people are stupid, solely because they did not use google to find the answer to your question, for you??

It may not come to you real quick, so think about that for a couple minutes, mk?

.........[color=FFAD66]your ignorant,....

'Ignorance' can be possessed, while 'ignorant' cannot.

What you have, is [color=FFAD66]your ignorance.

What you are, is ignorant.
[color=FFAD66]You are ignorant.

You are = you're.

[color=FFAD66]You're ignorant.

edit on 9/20/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

I don't know if I completely grasp what you are trying to say.....does that make me stupid?

The term stupid is relative to the context it is being used. One of your first examples of stupid people was an athlete...While they may not have the book smarts of a doctor they are certainly not stupid. Athletes, especially at the collegiate and professional level are far from "stupid," their brains actually process daily activities and actions at a much higher rate than the average intelligent human being. They survey a field, a rink, etc. and in an instant are able to determine formations, avenues of least and most resistance, all at full speed with giants trying to take their head off. And this is just a very simple breakdown and overview of what their job entails.

I am not discrediting your point regarding the ignorant (as I prefer not to remain ignorant), but being ignorant does not make someone stupid. I have highly intelligent friends whom I can have highly intelligent conversations with, that want nothing to do with the happenings going on in the world. Not because they are stupid, or ignorant, but because they know it will consume them and they can't dedicate the enrgy to such a topic, when they have careers and families that they refuse leave neglected.

Life has a way of keeping people distracted, the can not be blamed for this, as they are living in the same rat race as you and I. Just keep it in the back of your mind if crap really does start flying that they may not have the ability to cope as well as you, due to their previous ignorance. Use it as a chance to take the lead, and support your fellow friends and neighbors in times of hardship. We will never make it through this time in history if we can't rely on eachother. Trust me you are going to want some of these so called "stupid" people on your side when the time comes...
edit on 9/20/2011 by TheRealTruth84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty

Originally posted by Calex1987
reply to post by ColCurious

lol your best bet would be to quote her on the...i can see Russia from Alaska....now that was just funny...

Palin never said that so there is no way to quote her. It was Saturday Night Live and others who followed SNL who took a quote from Palin and distorted it's content into a comedy skit, lol.
edit on 20-9-2011 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

I've seen a video of her saying it...from a legitimate source.
She said it.

And yes, stupid is attractive...until the smart person becomes rich. Then all the dummies flock to him/her.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

What she said was twisted into a joke.

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by shimmeringsilver73
From Wikipedia:

The telltale sign of a pseudo intellectual is the superficial sprinkling and misuse of terms like "paradigm shift" and name dropping

And then there is this little gem found elsewhere:

Posseses a severe tendency to blindly and wholeheartedly believe any bull# they hear, only to subsequently regurgitate the misinformation to anyone they see in an asinine attempt to appear more intelligent than a used, broken condom.
Paradigm:

broadly: a philosophical or theoretical framework of any kind."[5]
Wiki The thing is that when post people talk about a paradigm shift, they mean "the philosophical or theoretical framework" for everyday folks has shifted. They don't mean the more specific usages of this word. So a lot of those cries of "it's misused!" are from a lack of recognizing that there's more than 1 use for the word. Also, when you talk about a physical object causing a paradigm shift, like cellphones and what it did for the values that people placed on communication, or even phones before that. (It's the whole: phones were adopted as a better means of communication than letters because of the nuances of hearing things like sarcasm. Cellphones are doing away with some of the intimacy of phone conversation with the expedience of texting, and as a result, people are winding up trying to decipher intent, thoughts, interest that used to take 2-3 pages of handwritten mess or even voice tone, to this 166 letter Frankenstein thought. There are consequences of the thinking it takes to adopt phones, then go to cellphones, and the thought processes driving distance communication has changed, for good or ill.) Think of how much we save in typing if we just say the Cellphone Paradigm Sift. Most people ought to be able to figure out what is being talked about--especially when they lived through it. I haven't seen a lot of misuse of this word, just an inability of either side being able to talk through the steps it takes to establish that a paradigm shift has occurred--or that they are even using the same definition for the word.

I hope that didn't make this more complicated.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't find stupidity attractive. It makes me have this impression of people as hollow shells walking the earth with no purpose in life.

And I like my girls beautiful (not hot) and intelligent. Not many like that out there.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Judging from the posts, i've read on ATS and obviously my real life experiences.
Is being stupid and ignorant "attractive"?

I mean i ask people questions sometimes, and they say "never heard of it".....and they think they are "cool" for not knowing it.
Now, this doesn't just come down to ignorance, since if your ignorant, you can just look this info up on google....but they chose not to, therefore they are stupid.

Why does society, reward stupidity, such as sport athletes, celebrities,politics, moronic music, but seem to relegate intelligence?
And i'm not talking about scientists with degrees, since people would take them seriously, but still call them "point dexer" or something, people seem to relegate, smart people from the streets, and our places of residence.

You don't see people encouraging others to become intelligent, and this isn't a reference to our parents, since most of them would encourage us, since lets face it, we need to be social with our peers, and they just dont seem to encourage intelligence, but rather useless pursuits, like sports, and "bands", if you haven't noticed.

Are stupid people, the lowest common denominator?

edit on 20-9-2011 by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien because: (no reason given)

I find ignorance and lack of intelligence to be a big turn off. Intellect is very attractive - in men and women. Keep making ourselves smarter I say, no matter what reaction we get from others.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
it is just being a pompous ass and talking over your head like many many do here. lol!!
But if you don't admit to it being over your head, they can't prove their intent, can they? Some absolutely brilliant people out there cannot relate to those who aren't on the same level as them. But at the same time, if you never ask for clarification, then the stupidity is not on them. I swear a lot of my life is spent playing Captain Obvious just so people can catch up--that does not mean I get it on a level they can understand the first time I say it. It means I have to reiterate. Now, either I can get a big head about it, or I can just accept that they don't think the same way I do.

throwing around poop they themselves don't even believe.
Is being a devil's Advocate always wrong? I can think of plenty of times I've taken a stance in here that isn't my full belief because those who are posting the things I would post are not spelling out their rationalizations, and I'll continue to poke at them until they lay out a bit more information than " 'Cause I sed so!" They come across as not thinking before they made their conclusion, and that's not healthy.

trying to impress someone else with dazzling word play that doesn't go anywhere and
If you try to impress someone with dazzling wordplay, then yeah, there is a big problem. The thing is that a lot of people who use the big words do it because it's the best word to fit the subject at hand. For instance: Archetype--there is no single word in the English language that carries the same nuance that this one word does. Prototype comes pretty close, but it's still not enough. Other times it's because the writer is distracted and for the love of Rainbow Sprite, they cannot remember the simpler word, nor do they want to waste time to. Also, you wind up using big flowing paragraphs when you want others to be able to follow your line of thinking. Just saying there are real important reasons to be wordy.

At the same time, if you are using big words on someone who cannot follow contextual clues, or who isn't going to bother look up words that they don't understand, the fault stands with the person who is unwilling to grow.

for the win, someone that thinks they are better than another, based out of ignorance of the subject.
This one there's not a thing to argue with because you were concise enough.

that crap does not impress me at all.
Their goal shouldn't be to impress you.

most people want to understand what you say.
More accurate to state that most people don't want to struggle to understand you. If you want to understand, you'll ask questions or you'll look things up. Now, if you do this and the person is still being a Richard, then they are exactly what you are fussing about.

you can't get your message across, then you are the idiot, no matter how large your vocabulary.
No one is an idiot for not getting it right the first time.

it is easier to play dumb than to play "intellectual".
Hence my points towards laziness being far more dangerous than the big wordy mess of the "intellectual".

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I keep deleting myself as I get carried away in the complexities of that point of view! Suffice it to say, that taken to an extreme, valuation of the intellect and reason tends to dominate and overide, if not stunt development, of the emotional skills. This is what I observe in individuals.
i agree that this does happen. I know I've posted somewhere on ATS that you can BE RIGHT without BEING IN THE RIGHT.

But we aren't that good at t, we haven't developed those skills, nor even a comprehensive understanding of what that means, and Facebook along with other web communications has been the first steps towards trying. They're safe because they avoid body language and emotional contagion which americans have no idea how to deal with.
Not that simple. Since we don't have the body language, people read every dissenting comment as a freaking argument. There's also enough studies (surveys, mostly) that show we tend to say things online that we wouldn't say to someone's face. This can be both good and bad. Also, they did a study that showed that even a cartoon face appearing to look at you where you can notice it will keep you from stealing...ie.e facial contact makes you more honest was the conclusion.

But also I agree with the person who said men do find women more attractive when they seem a bit missing in the intelligence department, as it makes a nice nothingness there for them to speak out and feel intelligent in contrast. So acting a bit dumb on purpose to watch your man puff his chest out and act with confidence in public does happen.
Speaking as a woman who mentally runs circles around my husband, it has negative side effects to be seen as the "more intelligent" partner. As far as IQ is concerned, his score is not enough lower than mine to warrant me being touted as the "smarter partner". What I am is far quicker at processing. That is the only difference. When I'm right, he still hasn't made his decision yet. When I'm wrong, he often takes too long to point out where I went wrong. So I'm on the next subject, being wrong/in the wrong, firmly convicted of right, and he feels like an idiot before he gets to the point where he knows where I went off the deep end. It's frustrating for both of us--and there are times when I have to stroke his ego (generally reminding him of why he feels dumb when he is not), that I would not have to do if I was just as "slow-witted" or at least was incapable of reasoning as well as I do. the sad part is to most people, his pace of thinking is fine. The problem's with me.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
because if people see the celebs and athletes, and they will think wow they dont worry or care about this this or this, yet they have money and fame and everyone loves them, and then they too stop caring, thats why so many stupid sheeple, will for live there life according to some celebs twitter feeds......it is sad

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join