It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being stupid attractive?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Judging from the posts, i've read on ATS and obviously my real life experiences.
Is being stupid and ignorant "attractive"?

I mean i ask people questions sometimes, and they say "never heard of it".....and they think they are "cool" for not knowing it.
Now, this doesn't just come down to ignorance, since if your ignorant, you can just look this info up on google....but they chose not to, therefore they are stupid.

Why does society, reward stupidity, such as sport athletes, celebrities,politics, moronic music, but seem to relegate intelligence?
And i'm not talking about scientists with degrees, since people would take them seriously, but still call them "point dexer" or something, people seem to relegate, smart people from the streets, and our places of residence.

You don't see people encouraging others to become intelligent, and this isn't a reference to our parents, since most of them would encourage us, since lets face it, we need to be social with our peers, and they just dont seem to encourage intelligence, but rather useless pursuits, like sports, and "bands", if you haven't noticed.

Are stupid people, the lowest common denominator?

edit on 20-9-2011 by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

hell no
i slap dumb biatches

the video shown depicts risk taking and the typical 'jackass' style shows as being stupid
the reason people are dumb is because of the more mainstream tv shows, not the ones in the video
just because its not a social norm doesnt make it stupid

edit on 20-9-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Stupid people attract stupid people..intelligent people attract intelligent people..

Because the stupid people way out number the intelligent..it appears that all people are attracted to stupid.

Peace

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

if the video doesn't link can someone link it so it shows
pretty sure this lil clip explains alot...ignorance goes a long way just because someones labeled stupid doesn't mean they are....if you think about it we are all stupid about something to say we're not would be ignorant because we dont know everything let alone each person has a different experience and only they would know it to say your stupid because you dont know is not only rude but ignorant of yourself.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
They say ignorance is bliss. But stupidity is different from it for sure.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
When people dont know their stuff, they laugh and act "cool", because they are insecure.
They know that they dont know what they really should know... so its a defense mechanism.

Its a form of shame in disguise (I dont KNOW if this saying is correct in english
)

Other than that:

She "attractive"?
edit on 20-9-2011 by ColCurious because: to fix link

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

lol your best bet would be to quote her on the...i can see Russia from Alaska....now that was just funny...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Sometimes, I find it easier to appear ignorant than to deal with "schooling" the stupid.
Like the other day, I was explaining my theory about the Giza Pyramid with some family members. This was well thought out and I had spent several days and many hours researching both on here and on other sources. I didn't even really want to discuss it because I knew already how my "alternative" ideas can be received by less open-minded individuals, but they insisted knowing what I was studying. Of course, even after an explanation that I am pretty sure wasn't understood in the first place, I am crazy and coming up with "out there" ideas.

I find it exhausting trying to explain my thoughts to people who apparently like living in the dark. Usually, I just keep it to myself as my own little pleasure in life, but it is great to go on here and be able to relate with people who really get it. I get so tired of hearing, "What exactly are YOU going to do for the world with this knowledge?" Who cares what I am going to do with it? Obviously, they really don't! Maybe I won't change the world, but at least I didn't sit around stupid all my life. Maybe I want to know for ME.

In reality, I think most people are quite satisfied to know what little they can get by with. I think they are quite content to live in a world where what is happening on prime time rules and doing just what is necessary is good enough. I, however, am not one of those people.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Actually, it's surprising how many relatively high-IQ people can reason their way out of anything. They've never been taught the skills needed to apply critical thingking. If smart people would quit challenging the dummies and start educating the dummies, this would be evened out.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Ahhhhhhhh! to have the perfect woman, one who loves me for my money, but can't count!
J/K J/K !! but couldnt resist

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
No I don't think we gone that far yet..so no being stupid is not attractive..But it is more and more common everyday...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
When people dont know their stuff, they laugh and act "cool", because they are insecure.
They know that they dont know what they really should know... so its a defense mechanism.

Its a form of shame in disguise (I dont KNOW if this saying is correct in english
)

Other than that:

She "attractive"?
edit on 20-9-2011 by ColCurious because: to fix link

are you #tin me?

she owned him and wtf was that last pos dialogue?

charlie didn't have a frikin clue what the question was.

lol!!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Your not exactly being nice yourself.....In Case you haven't figured it out..Many people on this site are young and still developing intellectually. Try leading by example.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien
Judging from the posts, i've read on ATS and obviously my real life experiences.
Is being stupid and ignorant "attractive"?

I mean i ask people questions sometimes, and they say "never heard of it".....and they think they are "cool" for not knowing it.

Who have you asked questions to that thought it was cool they didn't know the answer? I have never met anyone, intelligent or not, who thought not knowing an answer was cool.

That said, in my personal opinion, being stupid/ignorant makes you far less attractive. I used to think Britney Spears was cute... Then she went kind of nuts, shaving her head and all that.... Suddenly not so attractive.

Paris Hilton? Not cute to me....

I find intelligence much more attractive. It is more important to me than looks.

You don't see people encouraging others to " get intelligent"? There are a few teachers out there that might disagree.

Don't let the media fool you. Intelligence will always be cooler,in the long run.
edit on 20-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I think that many guys prefer to be seen with attractive and, somewhat, IQ challenged young ladies. No offence aimed at those inquiring Ladies here. My opinion regarding this is that:

A. The attractive lady makes them feel good and look cool in front of their peers.
B. With her being somewhat more mentally challenged than he, again, makes him feel better about himself.

So, in that context, I can understand why some individuals are attracted to stupidity.
Also, the lack of spelling and grammar are not an indication of a lack of intelligence or understanding.
Some of the most intelligent people I know could not beat a 4th grader in a spelling test.

However, on saying that, people's perception of stupidity vary emormously and could be actually called a personal point of view. Sometimes an ignorant act can be classed as an act of stupidity by some.
The amount of times I have called other drivers "stupid" simply because they were not paying attention or driving at the speed I would have preferred them.
edit on 20/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Bad spelling. I think that I am still drunk from last night. LOL

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Is this thread about stupidity being trendy? Or is it about you insulting the OP?
In fact your comments make me uncomfortable...
edit on 20-9-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien
With the level of intellect shown by the majority of the comments on ATS as well as all the posts you have made, I would say we are indeed a long way from the golden age.
Good to see your post have so many stars, some great evidence right there, for how stupidity is attractive, and how idiots seem to attract each other.
Dude, I starred it. It's a good conversation to have, whether or not he's capable of being the person who has the right to complain in such a manner.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Nothing is more attractive to me than an intelligent person.

The most dowdy and mousy-looking person becomes immensely beautiful in my eyes as soon as they have demonstrated intelligence and / or critical-thinking skills.

Society is definitely being dumbed down. It is very sad that most youngsters get off on the likes of Jack-ass, and let's not forget the popularity of those darn reality shows.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join