It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan: NATO night raids cause more harm than good, report says.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Afghanistan: NATO's night raids cause more harm than good, report says.

www.csmonitor.co m

Over the past year, US and NATO forces say they have made considerable progress against the Afghan insurgency through the use of night raids. But a new study suggests that the long-controversial nighttime operations are doing more harm than good.

Despite a sharp rise in the number of night raids, there have been no benefits in the form of decreased insurgent attacks, and anger over the operations has continued to mount among Afghan civilians, found the report by the Open Society Foundations...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
what does NATO forces always acted on a bad Intel based on some suspected Taliban insurgents. No wonder NATO isn't winning in Afghanistan and no one will. The Russians in the 1980s said the same thing but no successes what-so-ever.

I mean Afghanistan for example lied the border within the Pakistani border and they are still funding insurgents to attack NATO forces.

www.csmonitor.co m
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It's like the Romans and the Christians all over again. For every one of them we kill two more pop up to take his place. Regan was right middle east politics are too messed up and we have no place there.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Ya i agree though.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

US politics is much worse imo. Afghani politics doesn't even exist. Its funny, it seems that's the kind of society we want in the US as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
You get woken up in the middle of the night and see if you don't have a bad temper the next day.

Sorry, just trying for a little levity.

Most of the NATO Staff weenies fail to realize that they are dealing with tribal politics and lack the patience to try to teach the locals National politics, much less local politics.

And that has always been the reason Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires….they just won’t listen.

(The last sentence was meant in sarcasm but is fundamentally true)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
You get woken up in the middle of the night and see if you don't have a bad temper the next day.

Sorry, just trying for a little levity.

Most of the NATO Staff weenies fail to realize that they are dealing with tribal politics and lack the patience to try to teach the locals National politics, much less local politics.

And that has always been the reason Afghanistan is the graveyard of empires….they just won’t listen.

(The last sentence was meant in sarcasm but is fundamentally true)

I think they stayed because NATO had to make sure Afghanistan doesn't fall into the hands of the Taliban again. Most of the Afghans do want help.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I seem to recall several posts saying, in effect, "You can't trust any information presented by X, look at who funds them." I clicked through to the report to get more details. The Open Society Foundations report can be found on soros.org. I assume he funds them.

The report seems to make three main points. The biggest problem with the raids is that they make the Afghans dislike us. The military has taken criticism of the program to heart, and they make many fewer mistakes now than they used to. And, finally, total attacks on us have gone up over the last two years, but there is no clear reason why.

I just can't get worked up over this report. What's the word? Meh?

Open Society Foundations Report

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Seems to me it'd be simpler & cheaper (in lives & money - "ours" at least!) to let the Taliban take over again, then just bomb teeh shirt out of them again, let the others take over for 10 years 'til they get overthrown, rinse and repeat.......

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
People don't appreciate being awoken by armed noisy foreigners?

How shocking. I know I would love some gun tote'n screaming teenager from 1/2 across the world to jam his boot in my sleepy eye at 3am.. arriving in a helicopter that sounds like freedom.. music to the ears of the slumbering oppressed.

Viva la occupation, who could resist?

new topics

top topics

join