It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Inexhaustible' Source of Hydrogen May Be Unlocked by Salt Water, Engineers Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
A few weeks back I posted about another Hydrogen breakthrough in chemical extraction of the gas...that was met with some very good ideas, as apparently chemical extraction is expensive and dangerous. well here is a new twist on the hydrogen fuel front one Iam happy about lets see what you think
Previous thread if you need to look back
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (Sep. 19, 2011) — A grain of salt or two may be all that microbial electrolysis cells need to produce hydrogen from wastewater or organic byproducts, without adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere or using grid electricity, according to Penn State engineers.

Microbial electrolysis cells that produce hydrogen are the basis of this recent work, but previously, to produce hydrogen, the fuel cells required some electrical input. Now, Logan, working with postdoctoral fellow Younggy Kim is using the difference between river water and seawater to add the extra energy needed to produce hydrogen.

The difference between fresh and saltwater, the answer has been staring us in the face nice work gentleman here are the credentials of each Scientist named in the article.

I present Prof. Bruce Logan of Kappe environmental engineering
www.psiee.psu.edu...

Post-Doctoral researcher Younggy Kim, he is third down and not much about him there a few more searches turns up his publishing's listed under the personal link are two

www.engr.psu.edu...

lib.bioinfo.pl...:18189408
www.engr.psu.edu...&Logan-ES&T-MRC.pdf

I am a big proponent of hydrogen have been since I was a child it seems a great waste to keep pushing aside or down this stable useful plentiful fuel that burns cleaner than anything we can manufacture.
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

What good news, and then there is all of that leftover oxygen we can breath for free too!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Not feeling like reading through the sources at the moment. But I know microbes use up a lot of sugar, and it is a drawback for producing energy. Essentially, you are converting the sugar to convert something else to produce energy.

This one the same?
edit on 19-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

No sir, this has to do with something that is plentiful in our country... Biodgradeable mass... or wherever there is a waste water treatment plant close to a brine zone, you feed the microbes a little bit of waste at the brine line and they produce an extra volt boost enabling clean electrolysis without the assistance of external batteries...no sugar added

Logan and Kim's research used platinum as a catalyst on the cathode, but subsequent experimentation showed that a non-precious metal catalyst, molybdenum sulfide, had a 51 percent energy efficiency. The King Abdullah University of Science and Technology supported this work.

The last line made me think of you Boncho had to post it lol!
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

I don't have time to scrutinize but I will add:

Microbes and waste are great.

Waste sites that produce Methane and burn it for fuel are some of the coolest (Stinkiest?) engineering sites out there.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

One could say they were made for one another. It has always seemed to me a bit of a waste that we do not look closer at our environment for symbiotic answers to our problems, to exist with our environment rather than subvert it, I believe it is mans idea that progressive thinking and acts, out weigh contemplation of action and long term effects. This will be a great source of energy and a way to "clean" our environments at the same time, any win win is a good thing.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes
to exist with our environment rather than subvert it

so true lets make it happen

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I have known that we here at ATS are being looked at from many different angles, snoops, spooks, anti-disinformation platforms, fear-op mongers, alphabet agencies, AND other news services, we have broken and posted stories sometimes WEEKS before it becomes real news... Based on that I continually post about new technologies that may seem trivial to some, however if there is enough exposure of that tech and coverage of its development we can make a difference, because who else watches us out of all those agencies, companies, that are under pressure to find the next big energy source, it is up to us to pressure with knowledge. To let TPTB know we are watching the world move as much as they are and their excuses are getting thin...We see we are killing ourselves slowly because of their bottom line.. hopefully if enough of us keep new energy tech uncovered and in the forefront of the news pages these technologies will be implemented to our benefit.

edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: missed an "N" in the begining

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Primary Question:

Can i heat my house with this??

If yes:

How long?
How much will i cost me?
And

Who do i have to ...........................
edit on 2011/9/19 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

I would say yes.. you will be able to heat your house with this. lol along with your water, your food anything that needs power.

Two if you are Bruce Wayne and have a company you can use to subsidize building and funding for the project get to work man a year at the outside if a dedicated team is put together to make a working Hydrogen factory plug in a turbine and bam power for you and your company...If this is the case don't forget me in your new town of Hydrogen powered bliss.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
"Harvesting 'limitless' hydrogen from self-powered cells"

www.bbc.co.uk...

US researchers say they have demonstrated how cells fuelled by bacteria can be "self-powered" and produce a limitless supply of hydrogen. Until now, they explained, an external source of electricity was required in order to power the process.

new topics

top topics

join