It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hey guys this is my first thread!( Yay finally) But on to the topic I wanted to share a scenario that actually occured to me a few weeks ago in my Reading class in college. Ok so my teacher wanted the class to do an assignment on 9/11. Now he wanted us to base the answers on the book that was required to take the class. Knowing me, a conspiracy theorist, I know for a fact that most, if not all, of the info in the book is a lie and it was for the most part. Now at the time I needed the grade so I kinda went along with it. It totally went against what I believed in. I wanted to know what would you guys do in this particular situation?

By the way if this thread has already been done or in the wrong section I apologize and please don't delete it.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
What kind of answers? If this is like a paper then write away what you know.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

I mean answers based on the "official story".

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Considering you have to pay for college, you need to do what it takes to pass the courses. Even if you don't agree with the textbooks, it's what you have to go with.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yeah. There's always gotta be something to make me think otherwise. I hate that.......

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
How important is this class? Do you really want to go out of your way to make a point? (is it to impress a girl or something dumb like that)

I only ask that because I don't think you should be stopped. Go ahead and do it. Heck, I would even grab some of those videos that those guys do in their backyard for the 9/11 experiments. As long as you are ready to be ridiculed in the class, ready to make a firm counter-argument to those that will call you ignorant or make fun of you. Even from the teacher.

I'm not trying to be a dick but I did the same thing in one of my classes and noone cared dude. Not one person. It's college. Don't expect too many people to side with you. I'm still for you doing it, by all means, but really, don't have high expectations.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

I would have given him two papers on the subject;

The first one as requested based on the "official lie" and written on toilet paper. At least then the official story would have some utility.

At the same time, I would give him a second paper, neatly typed and bound, countering and exposing all the lies of the "official lie." That way, you show your prof you can be a good little zombie meat puppet when you have to, but your prof also knows that you're a critical thinker that doesn't subscribe to government BS.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

one must choose their battles in life. this wasn't the time to battle. you needed the grade. no biggie. the big part of an American education is learning to take instruction & direction. had you chose to go tinfoil hat your teacher would have graded you accordingly. don't lose sleep over this. there is plenty of time in life to discuss personal POV's over beers with buds.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think this is a personal decision. I have little regard for a teacher who requires you to accept the official story even if you don't; but that's the hand you drew.

At the same time, even a mediocre teacher shouldn't base your grade on how closely you followed that particular instruction. But who knows? Sometimes you just gotta go with the safer choice....

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You could say this has been covered here.

Give them what they want. Lay out the official story. Just like Mr Corbett does in this video.

From this thread.

I know the temptation to be sarcastic is great but keep it under control.

I mean, the evidence for the official story really does speak for itself.

And don't forget to cite your references!

No, but seriously, you have to gauge what's best for you to do. It is your future.
Edit to say... And try to tell it from both (or more) sides of the story.
edit on 19-9-2011 by BruceWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

What book is it?

Just wonderin?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Oh and welcome to a place of learning.
And weirdness.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
"To thine own self be true"

I would have began every answer with "According to the book ..." and ended every answer with "But in reality ..."

It would have demonstrated that you read and understood the assigned book, but you knew it was totally bogus.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I would stand your ground and say what you want. But if you do that you better have all your ducks in a row sand have credible sources. A college professor won't have patience for evidence that isnt credible. ATS threads don't count.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yes, don't stand there with a laptop going "Buttergirl65 on ATS had a thread about the Pentagon"

Credible sources.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by KySc5
Hey guys this is my first thread!( Yay finally) But on to the topic I wanted to share a scenario that actually occured to me a few weeks ago in my Reading class in college. Ok so my teacher wanted the class to do an assignment on 9/11. Now he wanted us to base the answers on the book that was required to take the class. Knowing me, a conspiracy theorist, I know for a fact that most, if not all, of the info in the book is a lie and it was for the most part. Now at the time I needed the grade so I kinda went along with it. It totally went against what I believed in. I wanted to know what would you guys do in this particular situation?

By the way if this thread has already been done or in the wrong section I apologize and please don't delete it.

had to do the same on multiple occasions for different subjects and i stated my opinion with facts and backed it when the teacher or students would laugh. needless to say everyone has changed views on things now

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's a reading book called Opening Doors.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Absco

Lol. I'm not that dumb. But thanks for the heads up.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by KySc5
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's a reading book called Opening Doors.

What an ironic name.
Or is that just me?

new topics

top topics

join