It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 Year Earthquake & Volcano Cycle of Destruction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
After reading the latest news about the stirring of histories most violent volcano; Tambora in Indonesia that killed over 90,000 people and blackened skys on the other side of the world in 1815, it got me thinking about how many times I've seen recent events, being tied back to similar events of early 1800's. Note that this volcano has been mostly dormant until now.

The April 1815 eruption of Tambora left a crater 7 miles wide and half a mile deep, spewing an estimated 400 million tons of sulfuric gases into the atmosphere and leading to "the year without summer" in the U.S. and Europe.

It was 10 times more powerful than Indonesia's much better-known Krakatoa blast of 1883 — history's second deadliest. But it doesn't share the same international renown, because the only way news spread across the oceans at the time was by slowboat, said Tambora researcher Indyo Pratomo.

Now, let's look at some Volcano & Earthquake events that took place in the early 1800's that seem to be repeating or may soon be repeating themselves:

1. 1811 to 1812 - Shortly after 2 o'clock on the morning of December 16, 1811, the Mississippi River valley was convulsed by an earthquake so severe that it awakened people in cities as distant at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and Norfolk, Virginia. This shock inaugurated what must have been the most frightening sequence of earthquakes ever to occur in the United States. Intermittent strong shaking continued through March 1812 and aftershocks strong enough to be felt occurred through the year 1817. The initial earthquake of December 16 was followed by two other principal shocks, one on January 23, 1812, and the other on February 7, 1812. Judging from newspaper accounts of damage to buildings, the February 7 earthquake was the biggest of the three."

2. 1814 - Mount Mayon volcano in the Philippeans had its most violent eruption in 1814. More than 1,200 people were killed and several towns destroyed by mud flows. The eruption buried the town of Cagsawa and large areas of Guinobatan were destroyed.

3. 1815 - The Tambora volcano in Indonesia erupted on April 5th with the largest eruption on April 10th and 11th. The volcanic rain, meteotsunami and climate change killed livestock and destroyed crops. More than 92,000 people died, maybe 100,000, from starvation making this eruption the most deadly on record. Tambora was 100 times the power of the Vesuvius eruption of 79 AD. Tambora is 14,107 feet high and is located on the Sumbawa Island of Indonesia. The chamber with centuries accumulation of magma was emptied of its contents. The ash and gases caused substantial climate change lowering global temperatures one degree, denyig two summers and lasting through the next year. Scientists have calculated that Tambora has erupted three times before. The 1815 eruption of the Tambora volcano is one of four eruptions in the past 10,000 years to have been assigned a Volcanic Explosivity Index of 7. This Tambora eruption was the most powerful eruption in recorded history.

I know that every year we get events somewhere in the world like these

Following is a little historical worldwide earthquake event study based on 38 year time cycles, showing an ever increasing qty of 6.99+ events

Earthquake Trends of 6.99 or greater from the 1800’s to now

DATES FROM & TO PERIOD NO. EARTHQUAKES

1863 to 1900 incl 38 yrs 12

1901 to 1938 incl 38 yrs 53

1939 to 1976 incl 38 yrs 71

1977 to 2010 incl 38 yrs 156*

*predicted as many as ‘190’ by 2014 at end of 38 year cycle (18 x 6.9's so far this year, taking the number up to: 174, making 190 sound very conservative in my opinion). If it keeps going like this, it's lookin more like 215 or more for this current cycle!

Anyway, just wanted to throw this info out there for some discussion, or ridicule as often happens here

TAMBORA

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I am quite newly interested in natural disasters (because of the seeming increase!) and would like to thank you for this information provided

You've presented what you have to share in a way a novice/Above Top Noob can digest without much heartburn

edit on 19-9-2011 by Mouldilocks because: grammaaahh

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
If you want more knowledge about the latest volcano activity, this is a nice site.
Massive amount of reading, covering everything about the latest eruption's all over the world, when and where + live webcams ( If available), videos and pictures.

Enjoy it, i do

www.sveurop.org...
edit on 19-9-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Very nicely done op, it is strange all the earthquakes. I think the closer we get to 12/21/12 the worse its going to get

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
If you want more knowledge about the latest volcano activity, this is a nice site.

Oooh, splendid! I think I'll enjoy watching too.

Thankyou

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mouldilocks

Hi Mouldilocks, thanks for your welcome and positive feedback

Certainly interesting times we live in.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

The number of seismic stations has increased from about 350 in 1931 to many thousands today.

As a result, many more earthquakes are reported than in the past,

This is because of the vast improvement in instrumentation,

Rather than an increase in the number of earthquakes.

Earthquake

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Thanks for your input, but we aren't talking about all the thousands of lower magnitude quakes that are being picked up by the increasing number of monitoring stations installed; we are talking about LARGE (6.99+) 'noticeble' & DEVASTATING earthquakes here.

Regardless of the introduction of more monitoring stations, they make no difference to the summary chart I presented.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Toads are capable of detecting an impending earthquake several days before the first tremors strike, and alter their behaviour accordingly, a new study suggests.

Link

I want a pet toad all the more now

I wonder...if the study continues if they'll find an increase in earthquake occurence as well as establishing if the toads could provide us with an early warning. What fascinating creatures.

P.S - I hope this isn't considered off topic!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1

Thanks for your input, but we aren't talking about all the thousands of lower magnitude quakes that are being picked up by the increasing number of monitoring stations installed; we are talking about LARGE (6.99+) 'noticeble' & DEVASTATING earthquakes here.

Regardless of the introduction of more monitoring stations, they make no difference to the summary chart I presented.

Dozens Killed As Quake Strikes In Himalayas

9:35am UK, Monday September 19, 2011
At least 53 people have been killed after a 6.9-magnitude earthquake hit north-east India and neighbouring Nepal.
-------
Four earthquakes hit Guatemala, killing three
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:42am GM
By Mike McDonald
"GUATEMALA CITY (Reuters) - Four earthquakes struck southern Guatemala on Monday within 2 1/2 hours, shaking buildings in the capital and killing three people.

The quakes struck near Guatemala's southwestern coast in the sugar cane-growing region around Santa Rosa, forcing the evacuation of about 400 people and cutting electricity and telephone services, emergency services said."
--------------
seems relevent too those people,,,
how about, Greece,,Italy,,?
that normal?
Quebec/Ontario???? ,,thats the damn pre-cambrian shield area,, u know, the one that runs all the way too the Rockies,, but u knew that as well,,

So normal,,, no definetly not,,
cautious,, yes,,
very cautious.

(after re-reading u may not be impliying
"normal" nothing too see here.)

edit on 19-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

What?
Believe what you want,

In recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has decreased,

The United States Geological Survey estimates that, since 1900, there have been an average of 18 major earthquakes (magnitude 7.0–7.9) and one great earthquake (magnitude 8.0 or greater) per year, and that this average has been relatively stable.

Earthquake

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

What?
Believe what you want,

The United States Geological Survey estimates that, since 1900, there have been an average of 18 major earthquakes (magnitude 7.0–7.9) and one great earthquake (magnitude 8.0 or greater) per year, and that this average has been relatively stable.

Earthquake

"What?
Believe what you want,"

ok,,,, past 5 days,,,
there have been,,7,,,,
6+ Earthquakes,,

Believe what you want.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Wow

6.0 - 6.9 About 120 shallow earthquakes of this magnitude occur each year on the Earth.

So, if someone "predicts" that a magnitude 6 earthquake will occur somewhere in the world during the next week, don't be too impressed if it happens because random probability tells us that there should be a magnitude 6 earthquake somewhere in the world every 365/100 = 3.65 days! In reality, things are a little more complicated. But, you get the picture.

physicalgeography
edit on 19/9/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Hi Bob, good to see you here and appreciate your perspective.

NORMAL has gone out the WINDOW!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

What?
Believe what you want,

Earthquake

Averages are great (for 'hiding' data), but they don't show TRENDS, which is more relevant to what I originally posted, show an increase in 6.99+ events. You also brought into the equation a whole new range of 6.0+ events, which waterdown the overall trend.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

thats the damn pre-cambrian shield area

Each year, approximately 450 earthquakes occur in eastern Canada.

Large and damaging earthquakes have occurred here in the past and will inevitably occur in the future.

eastcan

Himalayas

Earthquakes pose the greatest threat to the Himalayan region.

Almost the entire Himalayas are prone to high seismic activity or earthquakes. Earthquakes have hit the region several times in the past and similar threats remain inevitable in the future too.

earthquakes

Guatemala

Earthquakes are relatively frequent occurrences in Guatemala. The country lies in a major fault zone,

earthquakes_in_Guatemala

Greece

Greece is one of the world's most seismically active countries.

Fortunately, most Greek earthquakes are relatively mild but there is always the potential for more severe seismic activity.

greece.earthquakes

Italy is one of the most seismically active countries in Europe.

italy-earthquake

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Just more proof of Disinformation by the USGS.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

The Earth definitely has "regrouping" type cycles and this is expected for its survival.

We see an increase in seismic activity, we read about it increasing on different news sites but is it really increasing? I think so.

You can go back on USGS and see for yourself as I did. It seems to ME that we began seeing an increase in 2000-2001 and then hit it BIG last year and I think this year is on the rise as well.

The sear floor is spreading, volcanic activity is on the rise inside the depths of the sea and above as well. It is obvious to me we are living in interesting times..... but....what do I know.

Peace and love to you all!!! xoxoxo

Jenn

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi Mama J!

I'd say that you are pretty much on the MONEY with your current understanding of the increasing incidences of worldwide seismic activity.

Stay safe and prepared.

top topics

join