It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predetor drone over my town.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I was sitting in the parking lot at the local Rite Aid and saw a Predator fly over. I live next to Westover AFB in Chicopee. It was a crystal clear day and was probably around 7k-10k feet. Saw a couple of U2`s fly over usually at dusk but the Predator was something new. I think it was a B with 2 pods under the wings. I knew the CIA was pushing for overflights but havent heard any news on the subject. Oops Predator Drone,lol

Bill
edit on 19-9-2011 by Camperguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

*IF* you actually saw a predator flying, what would be the big deal as you live near an air base? I see military vehicles all the time, and if I lived near an AFB I would expect to see military craft all the time. Grab a camera and get us some cool shots though!

I thought we stopped using the U2s. Didn't we? Off to Google!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I saw two F16s today over rural Virginia this afternoon. Very out of the ordinary for my area, they were headed north. I didn't see any drone though. Rushed inside to see if there was something going on. Nothing.
Like I said though very unusual to see them fly over my place.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I saw a Black Hawk with Skis on it. I see all kinds of things flying around Elmendorf. Especially when they doo the joint ops excercise every year. There are jets over the city all week long in formations, It's like and air show all week long from my work.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Jesus Christ! All you people with your "strange", "very unusual", "creepy", "odd" and "rare" comments!
It's the freaking air force! What do you expect them to do?! Drive their airplanes through the desert and pretend to be tanks? Or maybe try floating in the ocean? NO! They fly! Jets fly! That's right! THEY FLY!

I mean even when asked to yourself it sounds ridiculous.
Why is the air force of my country flying over my country's airspace?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

While the FAA has been working for several years on plans to allow drones to fly in U.S. airspace, the department has been reluctant to give a go-ahead because of the potential for mid-air collisions in the nation’s busy skies.

I thought it was unusual because it was banned

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Right!

In addition, Predators are designed to collect intelligence or conduct covert attacks.
They should not be flying over the U.S. without VERY special permission.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
pics or it didnt happen

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Quick get a rocket launcher and shoot it down before it gives away your position!!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527

Quick get a rocket launcher and shoot it down before it gives away your position!!!!

Howd that work out for the Taliban,lol

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
That must have been a frightening experience.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
only one team to call now

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
They fly over the great lakes as well, but have enhancements:

The Guardian has been modified from a standard Predator B with structural, avionics, and communications enhancements, as well as the addition of a Raytheon SeaVue Marine Search Radar and an Electro-optical/Infrared Sensor that is optimized for maritime operations.

Maritime UAV

I have seen it flying myself. Sorta thought it was crazy myself then looked into it.

More on what/how it can "see"

Raytheon considers its SeaVue expanded mission capability (XMC) radar, “a game changer for maritime domain awareness.” Brad Hopper, business development manager for marine surveillance products, said the key maritime radar challenge is detecting small targets like selfpropelled semi-submersibles in high seas, which the SeaVue has done at ranges of up to 55 nautical miles. Not only does the XMC upgrade make the SeaVue much easier to use, reducing workload and increasing efficiency, but it also can automatically detect thousands of targets, rather than the 100 to 500 detected by most maritime radars. Additionally, it correlates AIS and tracking data to sort out non-cooperating targets and conducts precision tracking, critical in crowded littoral regions where targets may criss-cross or hide behind other ships.

edit on 9/20/2011 by LordBaskettIV because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/20/2011 by LordBaskettIV because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by fah0436
In addition, Predators are designed to collect intelligence or conduct covert attacks.

Or for training, or maintenance, or testing, or because the pilots just want to get some hours in.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli

Originally posted by fah0436

Or for training, or maintenance, or testing, or because the pilots just want to get some hours in.

FAA resisting pressure to OK unmanned drones over U.S.

As of last summer it was still unauthorized by the FAA.

www.cleveland.com...

Marion Blakey, a former FAA administrator and president of the Aerospace Industries Association, whose members include unmanned aircraft developers, said the agency has been granting approvals on a case by case basis but the pace is picking up. She acknowledged that there are still safety concerns that need to be addressed before the planes can be used more widely.

Some concerns will be alleviated when the FAA moves from a radar-based air traffic control system to one based on GPS technology. Then, every aircraft will be able to advise controllers and other aircraft of their location continually. However, that's a decade off.

Now if the government recently allows Predators to fly over populated areas (not border patrol) than it is " new, interesting,unique" and such. You think it would make news wouldnt you? Being ex military I feel Predators, Reapers and their types have no reason to be flying over US citizens. If your cool with it, then good for you.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
They have a 100 mile buffer zone from the border that it patrols, this buffer covers all of michigan, and any state that is connected to any of the five lakes. I'm not sure how anyone would be comfortable with it. The marine version is by far the most advanced being able to identify thousands of unique "objects/targets". And it has sub-surface radar penetration so it can see you under water. They also have a 3 thousand pound payload weight.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I have been seeing predators fly over fort wayne Indiana lately.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

post by Camperguy ...

I thought we stopped using the U2s. Didn't we? Off to Google!

The USAF and NASA still operate U-2s.

www.nasa.gov...

www.military.com...

NASA also operate WB-57s that sometimes get mis-identified as U-2s.

jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov...

TJ

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Camperguy
As of last summer it was still unauthorized by the FAA.

www.cleveland.com...

The Federal Aviation Administration has been asked to issue flying rights for a range of pilotless planes to carry out civilian and law-enforcement functions but has been hesitant to act.

Training of military aircrews and maintenance of military aircraft are not "civilian and law-enforcement functions."

Now if the government recently allows Predators to fly over populated areas (not border patrol) than it is " new, interesting,unique" and such. You think it would make news wouldnt you?

I don't know. It's a pretty old airframe, as far as these things go, and I don't think it would be newsworthy that one happened to pass over a populated area. Which populated area it overflew could be interesting, but not the fact of a flyover.

Being ex military I feel Predators, Reapers and their types have no reason to be flying over US citizens. If your cool with it, then good for you.

I'm cool with them flying over me. It's flying around me that I don't like.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I'm cool with them flying over me. It's flying around me that I don't like

That would be bad.

I dont know ATS brothers and sisters whats next KGB, I mean CIA agents at every corner . Seems like National security is nothing but a front for slowly eroding our freedoms under a guise of protection. I really hope that the USA doesnt become a police state, just makes me nuts that people arent more pissed about this.

Bill

top topics

join