It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Drive".....a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This film is definitely in the "Tarantino" genre, if there even is such a thing. The film was so stylized with a minimalist screenplay, graphic violence, and almost choreographed characters. But any fan of "noir" needs to see this. The cinematography/aesthetic was fantastic with the use of filters, short lenses, dramatic lighting and great shot composition. Great supporting cast and Ryan Gosling reminded me so much of a young Brando it was uncanny.

If you are expecting a car picture with lots of cgi faux adventure; this isn't it.
I might even see this one again; it was that good!

1/2
edit on 19-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
i thought the movie had zero point. dragged on and ended with everyone looking at each other with blank looks on their faces!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
S'all good. A lot of people don't "get" Tarantino style/art-noir films. I do, and I can hardly wait to see this one. If it's anything like Grindhouse, I'm gonna love it. The critics sure did - it's pushing 92%
on "Rotten Tomatoes" right now. Sounds delicious!!!!

edit on 19-9-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

www.rottentomatoes.com...
edit on 19-9-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sounds like my kinda film...Although I have a lot of different tastes in movies...This'll be next on my "to-watch" list.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Honestly i was a bit disappointed, hoping it would be as psychologically affective as Stay was, or at least more pulse driving action riddling throughout the middle and end. The amount of action sequences leaves this movie begging for more to even be categorized as an 'action' film. It was still a good movie, as the OP stated, film noir elements with a strong focus on cinematic style and character dramatization.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xacto

Worth watching in your opinion, then?

Thanks for the info!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I went on the imdb boards and it seems like there was a lot of people who thought'd this would kind of be a Transporter-type movie. I was lucky enough to see a blurb of it where it got called meditative and existential. That kind of brace me for the fairly slow first half. Even then, I think they should've shaved off some of the silent pause moments.

Still, it built Gosling character (who has no name, which isn't the only thing he has in common with the Clint character) into this kind of...crazy man. Quiet, existing almost totally inside himself, seems to have no past, no real ambition, but he can respond in base ways. The woman makes him feel good, driving makes him feel good, the gangster make him feel bad.

I thought it was a great movie. You definitely have to have some patience, though.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
the blood and guts were awesome, and i am a huge quentin tarantino fan, but this movie sucked duck butter

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I am actually excited to see it which I don't usually get about any movie I see advertized on TV. The title logo alone promises style.

Action movies that slow down to force you to think about what is happening are hard to pull off. On the other hand if I had listened to everyone who told me a movie sucked because they were expecting 1.3 gunshots per second then I wouldn't have seen half the movies I love .

top topics

join