It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sunset Limited

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I know this was not a wildly popular film, which is based off a play by Cormac McCarthy, but admittedly it was one of the most profound movies I had ever watched. The back-and-forth debate between two nameless men about philosophy, theology, and the world is astounding. One man, Black, argues from the viewpoint of a former criminal turned Christian attempting to convince the other man, White, to not take his own life. White views the world in a very dark way, that every action you do closes a door ahead. If people abandoned all hopes and dreams they would find no reason as to remain alive in this world where we are all forced labor.

If you watched the movie or read the play please contribute your thoughts on the film/play and if you have not watched it I urge you to rush to your closest movie store and rent a copy of this movie.

Quotes

Belief ain't like unbelief. If you a believer then you got to come finally to the well of belief itself and then you don't have to look no further. There ain't no further. But the unbeliever has got a problem. He has set out to unravel the world, but everthing he can point to that ain't true leaves two new things layin there.

I think for the most part people are good to start with. I think evil is somethin you bring on your own self. Mostly from wantin what you ain't supposed to have.

Even God gives up at some point. There's no ministry in hell.

Everything you do closes a door somewhere ahead of you.

I want the dead to be dead. Forever. And I want to be one of them. Except that of course you can't be one of them. You can't be one of the dead because what has no existence can have no community. No community. My heart warms just thinking about it. Silence. Blackness. Aloneness. Peace. And all of it only a heartbeat away.

If people saw the world for what it truly is. Saw their lives for what they truly are. Without dreams or illusions. I don't believe they could offer the first reason why they should not elect to die as soon as possible.

new topics

join