It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The amazing woman who brought all the major religions together in one small backyard

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I thought I would post an update to a current issue surrounding the Owl House.

I read an article in a newspaper recently that restoration work on Helen Martin's creations have been undertaken, as a lot of the sculptures are in disrepair and some are falling to pieces.

Whilst I do not have a problem with said restoration work, I am concerned about the fact that the restoration work includes painting the sculptures with bright paint - which is totally not in keeping with Helen's personality or original vision.

Many visitors as well as most of the locals are unhappy about the "transformation of these artworks into a brightly-coloured circus" and some people are reporting that enamel paint (!) is being utilized in the restoration project.

Helen did originally paint her sculptures, but it was done with a lime-based paint that imparted very mellow and watery tones to the artworks and quickly faded to nothing. Is the idea of artwork renovation not that it should be in keeping with the original ideas of the artist???

Here is a scanned picture of two of the newly-"renovated" sculptures. Apologies for the quality - I got it from a newspaper.

I can shake the people involved in this so-called "restoration with sensitivity" project! Humans! Snort! This is sacrilege in its purest form! *shakes fist*

new topics

<< 1   >>

join