It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Terror: What's Going On?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
A friend of mine lives/works in Sochi, Russia where Vladimir Putin's Russian retreat is. I don't know what he's doing there, but I've been quite curious since I took a good, long look at the map. It was like a light going off in my head. I've been concerned about Russian developments and our military's expansion into the Soviet orbit since then. It's more than a coincidence that my friend is there. I can't help but wonder if these two planes going off-course is tied to this in some way.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Is Putins retreat in the mountain facility that has raised so much speculation? How does your friend come into this? Is he in the military over there?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by build319
Is Putins retreat in the mountain facility that has raised so much speculation? How does your friend come into this? Is he in the military over there?

It's a compound surrounded by big woods and tons of security; but very close to the town.

Not quite sure. All I know is that back in the early 90's he was accused (in the Russian media) of being a spy for the CIA. He used to be with NATO and retired from the Navy.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The two airplanes went down within four minutes of each other. That's pretty suspicious. Debris was scattered over a wide range, which points to it blowing up in mid-air. Witnesses say they heard explosions.

What I wanna know, is who was on that flight bound for Sochi? Who was on the other flight?

I'll havta inquire of my friend in Sochi.

Here's an article:

Authorities said the Tu-134 was headed to the southern city of Volgograd, where Volga-Aviaexpress is based, while the plane that crashed in the Rostov region was flying to the Black Sea resort city of Sochi, where Putin is vacationing.

When Russia's U.N. Ambassador Andrey Denisov was told of the initial report of two near-simultaneous crashes, he said, "Now we have to see if there's terrorism."

In Washington, a U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity Tuesday evening, said it was the understanding of American officials that the two Russian planes disappeared within four minutes of each other, which "in and of itself is suspicious."
apnews.myway.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
These are passenger planes though. Wouldnt you expect the High Profile people to be on a private charter or on a military jet?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Not necessarily. They fly commercial, too, sometimes. Just depends on what's going on.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
www.chinadaily.com.cn...

www.stevequayle.com...

www.debka.com...

NEIN has a report on possible attack on Putin, scroll down page.
www.homelandsecurityus.com...

john

[edit on 25-8-2004 by SIRR1]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the links.

Here's another:

Investigators probe Russia crashes
From CNN Correspondent Ryan Chilcote
Wednesday, August 25, 2004 Posted: 11:29 AM EDT (1529 GMT)

MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) -- Russian officials have rushed the flight data recorders from two airliners back to Moscow, where they will be decoded for clues to explain the near-simultaneous crashes of the two passenger jets.

They said Wednesday they had uncovered no signs of terrorist acts, but added that the investigation continued both in Moscow and at the crash locations.

The two planes crashed within minutes of each other Tuesday night after departing Moscow's Domodedovo Airport, killing all aboard.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
this is bush's fault! vote kerry!

i know someone is going to say something similar to this later...might as well say it for them now and save them some time.

in fact if someone doesnt find a way to blame this on bush i'll be shocked.

because as we all nothing bad every happened until bush took office.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
What sense does it make for Al CIAda to attack the GOP convention? That would sort of indicate they want George W. to be re-elected.

From the Debkafile article:

The United States too, three weeks after raising terror alerts in New York, Washington and New Jersey over a threat to its financial sector, has also instituted extra-special precautions. American security authorities decided to be on the safe side and act as though the Moscow hijackings were the start of a series in places other than Russia, especially in view of their timing four days before Chechnyas presidential election on Sunday, August 28 and five days before the Republican National Convention opens in New York to nominate President George W. Bush as partys presidential candidate and Vice President Richard Cheney his running mate.

Al Qaeda has threatened to disrupt both events with violence.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Considering the lack of contributors on this thread, it's pretty amazing how many people have viewed it. Over 400.

So what do ya'll think? Anyone? Was this an act of terrorism or a coincidence? They say there was bad weather in both areas at the time of the incidents. What would the motive be? Havn't spoken to my guy in Sochi, yet; so, I really don't know. My hunch is that it was terrorism. But who would the "terrorists" be? Having concentrated so much focus on Iraq and the mid-east, I've fallen behind on my Russian/Soviet analysis.

Here are a few articles to chew on:

No cause ruled out in Russian plane crashes: US

Wed Aug 25, 4:29 PM ET Add Politics - AFP to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (AFP) - No possible cause has been ruled out in two near-simultaneous plane crashes in Russia that left 89 people dead, the US State Department said.
news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040825/pl_afp/russia_plane_us_040825202935

Russians Caught Between Unacceptable, Unbelievable

By Susan B. Glasser and Peter Finn
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, August 26, 2004; Page A14

MOSCOW, Aug. 25 -- A day after two Russian airliners fell from the sky, confusion over what happened reflected a country torn between skepticism that the government would tell the truth and concern about an airline industry so old and poorly maintained that two planes might go down by accident at the same time.

Both main theories about the crashes were nearly unbelievable.
www.washingtonpost.com...

Air experts doubt accident theory

Aviation experts say the circumstances of Russia's double air disaster look suspicious.
The odds on two airliners crashing almost simultaneously by accident after leaving the same airport are extremely slim, they say.
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
it's bush's fault. i said it yesterday so noone else would have to say it. thats why you're not getting any responses. i already took away the thunder!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The black box recordings apparently didnt shed any new light onto the topic at hand. I am curious if this is because the Russian's don't want you to know of what actually happened or what? I really wish they (any country) made a poilicy of releasing the black box data as soon as they get them. That would be the only real way to lower the suspicion.

Anyway, my guess is that its Chechnyan(sp?) terrorists. They have and always will focus their primary attention onto the Russian govt.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
it's bush's fault. i said it yesterday so noone else would have to say it. thats why you're not getting any responses. i already took away the thunder!

Why don't you try getting serious PrankMonkey. Or do you truly consider this a laughing matter?

Here's another:

One Russian Jet Sent Hijack Alert Before Crashing

Aug. 25--Russia went on high terror alert today after two passenger jets flying from a Moscow airport crashed at almost the same time -- with one reportedly sending a hijack SOS just before it went down.

The near-simultaneous air disasters killed at least 89 people and immediately sparked terror fears. Airports across Russia ratcheted up security, and President Vladimir Putin ordered the successor to the KGB -- the FSB -- to investigate.

"Now we have to see if there's terrorism," said Russia's UN ambassador, Andrey Denisov.

"The fact that both planes took off from one airport and disappeared from radars around the same time can show it was a planned action," a government source told the Interfax news agency. "In such [a] situation one could not exclude a terrorist act."
www.fox23news.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
A friend suggested this is situation is no different from Operation Northwoods 2001: an act of state sponsored terror. This is a possibility. But then again, one plane was heading to Sochi, where Putin was. It's all very strange, considering the airplane, by witness accounts, blew up mid-air before reaching the president's retreat.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Now I am beginning to agree with you of getting a manifest on who was on that plane. Was there possibly someone or something hostile where they had to take it down? Remeber TWA 800 (I think thats the one) that blew up mysteriously over NY Harbour? I remember hearing rumors from people in the know that it was an automatic weapons system that actually shot it down.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Only one of the two planes was heading for Sochi. Before takeoff, both were serviced by the same maintenance team. This I find suspicious. It would be extremely easy for a technician to place a bomb right where it would cause a maximum damage.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think that this is a high profile torrorist Hijacking to be blamed on Al-Queda and show the world how unsafe the world really is. The West Media like CNN, Fox, BBC will gladly broadcast the terror 24x7 to terrorize the world and get Bush elected. The problem is that Putin do not want to play the game as planned, and blowned both off the air. Sadly, there is no terror show for Bush.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Scenario 1- they were shot out of the sky.THe precendent was set when we shot down the jet over PA on 9/11. I thnk this made it easier for Putin to do it and be accepted in the political circle. For them to simulatneously explode withn 4 minutes sounds 'too coincidental'. If the Soviets became aware it was a hijacking, they have the liberty of not having to report all of their comings and goings to the CNN/FOX/MTV networks of the US.

Scenario 2- There may have been people of interest on both planes, and with the same ground crew working on both, it would have been easy to plant a explosive device.

Sorry, cannot accespt that this was a maintenance accident.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
Only one of the two planes was heading for Sochi. Before takeoff, both were serviced by the same maintenance team. This I find suspicious. It would be extremely easy for a technician to place a bomb right where it would cause a maximum damage.

By your location I gather you are Russian...
Can you tell us if the general consensus of the Russian public is that this was a terrorist attack?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join