It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

24 hours to save our oceans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+67 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Our oceans are being systematically destroyed and we have 24 hours to raise the alarm. The seafood industry uses long chains of heavy metal disks to drag nets across the sea floor in search of fish, crushing everything in their path. This bottom-trawling is like clear-cutting a forest to catch a parrot -- and only our outcry can stop it.

In two days, UN policy-makers are meeting to review the impacts of this deadly practice. Pacific island nations are fighting to save the oceans and have appealed to Avaaz members to stand with them. This is our chance to win -- if enough of us speak out now, it will strengthen their hand against big fishing countries, and will embolden serious players like the US and Australia, who have already banned bottom-trawling in their waters, to push for protection everywhere.

I don't know if I could post a link for this so mods please be easy on me I mean no spam or am not part of Avaaz I am just a dude who saw this link posted by a friend on Facebook and had to post this cause I am
and I want the whole world to know!

I am really hoping ATS could boost this counter a little cause we have so much to lose!

We have 24 hours to boost the count, do your part please if you can.

Threats to Oceans
Greeppeace link

Globally, our oceans are in deep trouble. Overfishing, pollution, bycatch and global warming are endangering the lives of marine creatures and habitat. Hell, we’re also endangering our lives if we don’t protect the oceans. We rely on the oceans for food, our livelihood and survival!

Our oceans provide us with our oxygen and our food and with too many fishing vessels chasing too few fish, marine ecosystems are collapsing. The Pacific ocean, once considered too remote for many fleets, has now become one of the world's most important fishing grounds and we all know how they fish.

Like this.
Destructive fishing practices Greenpeace link

Bottom trawling involves dragging huge, heavy nets along the sea floor. Large metal plates and rubber wheels attached to these nets move along the bottom and crush nearly everything in their path. All evidence indicates that deep water life forms are very slow to recover from such damage, taking decades to hundreds of years - to recover if they recover at all.

If allowed to continue, the bottom trawlers of the high seas will destroy deep sea species before we have even discovered much of what is out there. Think of it as driving a huge bulldozer through an unexplored, lush and richly populated forest and being left with a flat, featureless desert.

Please help the vote to at least try to change this planet, and not just to talk about it

Thank you for reading.

I did my little digital contribution in it&hope that you will to.

Peace Sevensheeps.

Avaaz.org link
edit on 19/9/11 by sevensheeps because: Update

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
this is really sad .... i almost feel helpless , good post

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thank you for the information. With the political firestorm brewing at the UN this week regarding the upcoming Palestinian vote, it will be even more challenging to channel the public's attention to saving our oceans. But save them we must.

S&F!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You can clearly see the importance of this! If we can have any saying in this matter right now it is this moment ATS!

edit on 19/9/11 by sevensheeps because: spelling

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
In the grand scheme of things ,the human race is aggressively raping this little blue planet ,we call home.

Were almost like a parasite ,killing it host ?

I sign the petition.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
i read about factory fishing, that's some horrible stuff
*/f for bringing this up

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

You are absolutely right my friend good post!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Bumping thread for the sake of our future

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

I voted for the Palestinian UN vote on Avaaz to, I really feel that people should vote more so their voices would be heard.

Picture this, what would happen if during an election 99% of the people showed up to vote.

Real change comes from within

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Let em die! fish is terrible food. Bacon rocks. Let em die! bring on the end setting.

F-fish. Let em all die. I want to see this.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
"I don't give a crap about whales, so go and hug a tree." Eric Cartman

Seriously, what kind of scare mongering is this? 24 hours to save the oceans? Give me a break.

Isn't Greenpeace a terrorist organization?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sevensheeps
reply to post by Open2Truth

I voted for the Palestinian UN vote on Avaaz to, I really feel that people should vote more so their voices would be heard.

Picture this, what would happen if during an election 99% of the people showed up to vote.

Real change comes from within

I seem to remember somewhere in history a man by the name of Joesph Stalin said "Those who vote decide nothing, Those who count the votes, decide everything."

Just remember that.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by gossipnancy

I hope your trolling. I'm gonna assume you are because I don't think any person... that cares about the earth would say that.

I personally don't like fish, doesn't mean I want them all to die. This is sad OP, I feel like there is nothing we can do to stop them, though....

They are so destructive and it always makes me wonder... after you make the species population go down, what will you do for a job?
edit on 20-9-2011 by TheWorldSpins because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
starting from when, 08:18??? ,Sorry ,busy saving the topside today(not sure what from) .
No time limit ,just doing it.
edit on 20-9-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Voting is only a first Step,
the People, you and i, need to be more aware of the Problematic
and it is up to us to decide what we do.

We decide a lot by our Consume-behavior,
ergo get educated in what is Kosher and what isn't!

Saving our Environment is the first Step into a Human Adulthood!

Edit: And yeah, a Star and a Flag because of your Seeding!
edit on 20-9-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

reply to post by gossipnancy

You two are absolutely restarted and have no idea how ecosystems work.

The ocean holds more life then anywhere else on earth and to destroy it will have crippling effects on us land walkers.

Good lord, you both really need to pick up and read a text book before making any more inane statements.

*edit*
I also hate seafood, and love bacon, but to say all sea life deserves to die is seriously the dumbest thing I'v heard on a forum in a long time...
edit on 20-9-2011 by SalientSkivvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
As a surfer, sailor and scuba diver, I am all for saving our oceans.

We need to protect this vital ecosystem from exploitation of all kinds.

But, as soon as you mentioned greenpeace, I instantly felt the urge to close this window and move on to a different thread. These extremist idiots are prone to lying and falsifying evidence to suit their own agenda. They have no concept of economic stability and have no concern for the ramifications that their extremist views have on third world countries. Greenpeace would rather see people starve in order to save an animal, than try to find a solution to solve both problems.

A classic example....
Greenpeace whined at the UK government for years about their power program(anti coal, anti nuclear) so the government over there committed billions of dollars toward wind, wave and tidal power solutions(literally, leading the world in green power generation that could provide "base-load" power for the UK). After many tens of thousands of hours spent by engineers developing prototype power generation concepts, Greenpeace actively fought "tooth & nail" to stop any such mass producing power systems, claiming environmental concerns for just about every system designed. Wind farms would kill migrating birds they said(they wouldn't even consider concepts like lights and whistles to eliminate this problem), tidal systems would destroy natural ecosystems, etc....

On one hand Greenpeace were all for getting rid of nuclear and fossil fuel power generation and on the other hand, they weren't prepared to accept any of the solutions and would rather the UK be plunged back in to the dark ages instead of reaching a compromise.

Ironically, the founder of Greenpeace bailed out not long after its inception due to the extremist views of a majority of its members. To me that speaks volumes about the organisation.

Sorry that this post turned into a bit of a rant, but, when it comes to a group like Greenpeace, I feel that the world would be better off without enviro-terrorists like them.

On to the topic of over-fishing using long lines, drag nets, trawlers and the like. I feel that the governments of the world need to start buying back commercial fishing licenses and treating illegal fishing with more than just pi$$y fines. Once western governments start treating over-fishing seriously, we can start looking at at education in third world countries and taking a responsible approach to sustainable fishing.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Unfortunately, corporations own and control everyone and everything now. I am not a left-winger or liberal in any way. This is just a fact. They are going to continue raping the planet, raping the wallets of the individual and because we, the individuals have no serious legal or political recourse (the corporations own the politicians and judges, and will win all but the most lopsided fights), the only answer will be revolution.

However, I don't think it will happen in time to save things like ocean ecosystems. Look at the absolute horror that BP has committed with their (probably ongoing) massive oil spill + toxic corexit, and look at the massive amounts of radiation from Fukushima. To heck with fishing concerns, I wouldn't even eat anything from the ocean anymore! Maybe the ocean creatures will be "saved" when they're all too radioactive and poisonous for humans to want to eat anymore? Hooray?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

i signed your petition, and forwarded it to others.

for years i volunteered for organizations working to save the Oceans.
came to the conclusion that only when they have destroyed the Oceans, and that fish is no longer safe to eat, will people listen.

most countries like Canada, with it's DFO, are so poltically corupt, that anything they say is disinformation at best.
the world's fisheries are run by criminals who don't care about any law that might be passed.

only Divine intervention will save the Oceans, such as 500,000 ships going down in one day.
lets hope and pray.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Blessed be.
I have signed the petition.

Namasté

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join