It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO reports spiked this summer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Interesting little tidbit I saw both on Fox News and a blog website Life's Little Mysteries...

According to an organization that tracks UFO reports, this summer has been an especially busy period for UFO sightings. The Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) noted that sightings increased over the past six weeks, with some states more than doubling their normal numbers. Are we on the cusp of an alien invasion? Or maybe people just have more time on their hands to spot — and report — strange things in the sky?

"It's pretty exciting," said Clifford Clift, the international director of MUFON. "When you average 500 a month [nationwide] and go to 1,013 in one month, that's an interesting spike in sighting reports." Clift told Life's Little Mysteries that he's not sure what to make of the data at this point. It could be the start of something big, or it could merely be a computer glitch that accidentally counted some reports twice.

Another possibility is that we're simply in the midst of a "UFO flap," one of many periodic increases in sightings over the years. There are several reasons UFOs might appear in flaps, or clusters. One is that objects in the sky are usually seen by many people, especially when they appear over urban areas. UFOs typically don't hover close to Earth or in someone's back yard; instead, they are often sighted high in the sky — just far enough away so that we can't see details or get sharp photos.

You can read the whole article here

An interesting trend although I was disappointed that MUFON did not rule out a computer glitch before talking about this publicly.
edit on 9/19/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Fixed link

edit on Tue Sep 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: shortened lengthy external quote

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The article offers a possible explanation for the spike:

There are also psychological and social explanations. Sightings are often fueled by the mass media; people read about mysterious things or see TV shows about them, and interest or concern about them spreads from person to person. It's not that anyone is hoaxing or making up sightings: Research has shown that if you tell people what to look for (a phenomenon called "priming"), people will often see what they are looking for — whether those things exist or not.

I wasn't surprised by the explanation but wondered if people are that influenced by UFO pop culture anymore. There has been so many movies and TV shows about aliens/UFOs you would think people would be used to it and less influenced.
edit on Tue Sep 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: shortened lengthy external quote

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well if you graph their list of the number of sightings throughout time, the amount of sightings is rising exponentially since MUFON's inception. Also last summer had way more, with over 800 in July - the largest amount in their history.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

Excuse me...I meant NUFORC.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
i live in the foothills of the sierra nevada mountains, and this summer i watched the sky a lot. From about July to august, there were a lot of lights, like orbs, going back and forth. They seemed to go too fast to be satellites, and a few of them seemed to be flying low.
while camping near lake tahoe,I saw one that was so obviously a craft under intelligent control to me. It was going so fast.

Do to me, that's me seeing a lot of activity at night.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRiverCityAnswer
i live in the foothills of the sierra nevada mountains, and this summer i watched the sky a lot. From about July to august, there were a lot of lights, like orbs, going back and forth. They seemed to go too fast to be satellites, and a few of them seemed to be flying low.
while camping near lake tahoe,I saw one that was so obviously a craft under intelligent control to me. It was going so fast.

Do to me, that's me seeing a lot of activity at night.

Were you watching the sky more than usual or watching the sky the same as always and were seeing a lot more activity?

Any sense what these things were doing?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
Well if you graph their list of the number of sightings throughout time, the amount of sightings is rising exponentially since MUFON's inception. Also last summer had way more, with over 800 in July - the largest amount in their history.

Don't you mean the number of sightings reported to MUFON?
Over time more people know of MUFON as a resource. Therefore more people report their sightings there. All it really shows is that more people are aware of MUFON.

edit on 9/20/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
What i do find kind of weird these days is the amount of abductions to have decreased. Rarely do you hear about this these days. I wonder sometimes if they have gotten everything they needed in the amount of time they have been here and now are ready for some kind of comeback.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
We should expect another large increasing of UFO reports.

As i said,we are heading to the last phase!

What an exiting time to live at!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It will only rise from here. As more people awaken from their slumber and open up their Zertix files, more and more sightings will occur

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The question is how many of these are real unkniwn aircraft, not just sightings. People around watching more alien movies may start calling some bright star a UFO. I've seen such situation too, talking about people who have no idea is a bright star, a star, Venus or a UFO. Well, some people haven't studied Astronomy, I have.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Already posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
closed in error, this thread was actually started first.
edit on Tue Sep 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor
The question is how many of these are real unkniwn aircraft, not just sightings. People around watching more alien movies may start calling some bright star a UFO. I've seen such situation too, talking about people who have no idea is a bright star, a star, Venus or a UFO. Well, some people haven't studied Astronomy, I have.

I understand that people mistake known objects ( planes, planets, stars) for UFOs. What I have trouble with is the influence people are willing to credit to pop culture. Are people really that...lead?

It seems like people have been seeing alien movies for a long time. Shouldn't they be immune to stuff like that now? Children see stuff all the time about aliens and UFOs so by the time they get old enough to make a report about something it isn't as if this was a huge new idea to them.

I am sure I am missing something (probably giving my fellow humans too much credit). Anyone have any data backing up the idea there is a big upswing in UFO reports after a movie like Paul?
edit on 9/20/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Rounded out my ignorance. :-)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
What i do find kind of weird these days is the amount of abductions to have decreased. Rarely do you hear about this these days. I wonder sometimes if they have gotten everything they needed in the amount of time they have been here and now are ready for some kind of comeback.

That is an interesting observation.

Is it that it isn't happening anymore or just not being reported?

The first thought I had when I read "they have gotten everything they needed" was now they know how to be us.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
this summer i visited an area that reportedly is experiencing a big upsurge in ufo sightings in the last few months. i posted a thread about it. granted, i just had my buddy to attest for the increase, but according to him many people are noticing the increase. part of my desire to post the thread was to see if anyone else in that area could confirm. i was able to find many videos on YT.

Castle AFB and Merced, California

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This summer?

Just in September alone there have been numerous sightings all over the world, especially from Sept 10-17 last week. I mean there have been videos posted from Glendora, CA all the way out to Beijing, Phillipines, Peru and Nevada. You can easily Google these.

Whats even funnier is how the media portrays these sightings. In Florida we hear NOTHING about this. Youd figure that sighting on Sept 14th, since it was seen across 4 states... even if IT WAS a meteor, we heard nothing about it. I only found out myself from seeing it here first then following other youtube links of the same occurrence.

We are in for something wonderful very soon.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

I can definitely see something like "They Live" happening. Sure its out there but wouldnt it be freaky if all these higher ups take off their mask during a live transmission from DC. Yeah, I've been watching too much sci-fi. However, there always remains the possibility that they are walking among us right now.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
MUFON is no longer a credible source for information.

If UFOlogy is your thing, I'd steer far clear of them.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss
MUFON is no longer a credible source for information.

If UFOlogy is your thing, I'd steer far clear of them.

I'm not arguing for or against MUFON but I am wondering why you think they are not credible anymore?

Was it something they have done or a change of leadership?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join